Welcome To Alaska.

Welcome To Alaska.

A Story by bigail.:)

~Chapter one~

         The penthouse on the top floor of the New York City apartment feels so big in its vast emptiness. Our things have been cleared out; mine already sent to Alaska, mom’s sent to her new apartment on the Upper East Side.

         “I’m going to miss you,” she says, as I step down one step into our old living room. One whole wall is made up only of windows looking out over my city.

         “Yeah…right,” I mumble.

         It was her idea to send me to Alaska to stay with my dad. She thought it would be “nice” for me to spend a year with him, but I knew the truth. She’s young. Tired of being held down by a child. She was sixteen when she had me, and she’s thirty-two now, and single. If I was a cute, six or seven year old, it’d be different, but no guy wants to go out with a girl who has baggage, and I’m a hell of a lot of baggage.

         “Oh, Katie,” she sighs, that get-over-yourself kind of dramatic sigh. “I am not doing this to torture you.”

“Could’ve fooled me…” I mumble, turning and looking out the window.

She sighs again and then her arms are wrapping around me. “I love you, Honey. You know that, right?”

I turn, untangling myself from her. “Lets go. I’m going to miss my flight.”

 

 

On the way to the airport, I listen to my iPod full blast (the Goo Goo Dolls), and examine my mother. I look nothing like her. She’s a real estate agent, and her beauty is all soft features. She has soft blond hair and green eyes. She’s short at only 5’3”; she has curves, but not much. She’s very petite. Her skin has a nice golden tan. Her beauty is a stark contrast to mine.

My hair is a very dark chocolate brown, almost black, and very curly. My eyes are a deep, dark kind of blue that look like the oceans surrounding Alaska (that’s how my mom explains them). My height isn’t much taller in comparison because I’m only tree inches taller at 5’6”. My skin is very tan, seeing as I’m part Inuit. It looks very satin like.

The ride seemed to go on forever until (finally) we were there. We walk in silence through the airport, doing everything that needs to be done, getting to the gate on time, and then we separate.

“Bye, Honey. I love you,” she says giving me a hug.

“Love you, too,” I reply, wrapping my arms around her.

She pulls back to look at me. “Oh, really? You don’t still hate me for sending you away?”

“Mom, I could never"“

“KATIEEEE!” I turn to see my best friend, Amber, running toward me, her mini skirt fluttering along with her over-sized tank top.

Classical Amber, dressed down in all black, with black tights, black heels, a black mini skirt, an over sized black tank top with a Paramore logo on it, a black cami UNDER her over-sized tank, black sunglasses, black nail polish, black bracelets, and an abundance of black make up. Her bright red hair has been dyed black, of course, and has been straightened down to her…shoulders? She also cut her hair because it used to be down her back.

I laugh. “Oh, Amber! Who died?”

“ME!” she shouts, running into me and attacking me with a hug.

I wrap my arms around her. “Ohmigod, Amber. C’mon. Stop the sniffles,” I pull away to look at her face and pick up a piece of her hair. “What did you do? I thought you were going for the natural, hippie look this month?”

“That was until my best friend decided to leave me,” she sniffles.

“Ahw, Amber,” I choke out, biting back my tears.

She lifts her sunglasses and exposes her black, tear stained (and mascara stained) face. “I’m gonna miss you so much, Punkin’,” she says in her false southern accent.

“Oh, may too, Darlin’. I’ll write ya every night!” I say, in my false southern accent, acting out our favorite movie.

“Katie?” my mom interrupts, and I turn to look at her. “You’re going to miss your flight…” she says, uncomfortably.

“NOOO!” Amber erupts, falling to her knees and grabbing my legs.

I reach down, untangling her, and giving her to my mom. I feel a huge weight pressing down on me as I walk to the doors. I turn to wave goodbye, and see that my mom’s got her arms wrapped around Amber, while Amber tries running after me.

I lift my hand, moving it slowly back and forth, waving.

“I LOVE YOU KATIE! AND I WILL COME VISIT YOU! SOON!” Amber explodes.

“I love you, too, Darlin’!” I shout back, stepping into the terminal and walking down the hallway.

 

I sleep almost the whole flight and when I finally step out of the airport, the cold, Alaskan air ambushes me.

“Katie Monroe? I’m looking for a,” pause, “Katie Monroe?”

I look up to see a cute boy, about 6’ with shaggy, black hair, beautiful satin skin, and eyes so black I could just get lost in them. “That’s me,” I say, lifting my hand in a slight wave.

“Welcome to Alaska, Katie.”

© 2011 bigail.:)


Author's Note

bigail.:)
Uh, this is a new story I'm working on. Please message me with your feedback, I like criticism. ^__^

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

131 Views
Added on January 19, 2011
Last Updated on January 19, 2011
Tags: romance, fantasy, alaska, werewolves

Author

bigail.:)
bigail.:)

OH



About
Uh, I'm almost 16. I love writing poetry and stories. I love My Chemical Romance, Goo Goo Dolls, Linkin Park and much MUCH more. Um...I don't really know what else so if you have a question, or just w.. more..