on oirgins of scars, and flying on disposable wings

on oirgins of scars, and flying on disposable wings

A by Katya Hutchinson

 when i was five years old, i flew. my mother piled half the family into her tiny car, and we drove off to feel the rain on our windows. michelle, my cousin, got the passenger seat because it was her birthday. alec, my brother, was just a year, and he got strapped into his second-hand car seat in the back. Michelle's mother, Deborah also rode in back; buckled in where she could enjoy the way the alcohol cast lights that only she could see. I was there too, but not so buckled. in the backseat waiting for the moment we stopped so i could splash in the puddles that were collecting in the gutters. and we were interrupted, by the car of a single man driving 60 on slick streets. and then i flew. i flew like a dove, barely pausing to shatter the windshield with my child's face. i flew so fast the glass couldn't move fast enough, and it got caught on my lips and across my face and in my hair like pieces of solid sky. it was a short flight; only a matter of seconds after skimming the dented hood before i touched down on the glistening asphalt. but i was the only one to fly. michelle and mother may have tried, by they died before their wings could twist their bodies from the metal's kiss. deborah tried too, but the seatbelt pulled her back into herself where she must have slept with disappointment. and alec tried so hard to soar, he bit off the tip of his tongue and shook his brain trying to fix it. so we may have been a flock of angels, but i was the only one to fly. michelle and mother lost their last chance to fly, maybe they touched the sky after all, but so quietly that no one saw. it's alright though, deborah and alec have their whole lives to keep trying.

© 2008 Katya Hutchinson


Author's Note

Katya Hutchinson
yes, i have horrible grammar!

My Review

Would you like to review this ?
Login | Register




Reviews

the grammar isn't that bad and the writing over all is really wonderful. storytelling in a very imaginative way. some of your phrases and images are really beautiful and show a lot of talent. i hope you continue writing.

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

164 Views
1 Review
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on November 22, 2008

Author

Katya Hutchinson
Katya Hutchinson

Long Beach, CA



About
My face is covered in scars. more..

Writing
Green Green

A Story by Katya Hutchinson