Last Day

Last Day

A Story by Degenerate Person
"

...

"
   I was playing my game as usual when the sound of the doorbell rang the entire house. It was rare to get a guest, especially in the early afternoon on the weekdays where everyone is still out working. I was all alone on my day off just like any other days. I felt annoyed by the person who interrupted my gameplay, so I just left it alone hoping that person would leave. 

As I tried to continue my gaming, the second sound of the doorbell rang showing the irritation of the guest. I continued to ignore it for the second time. The guest waited for a minute and rang the bell for the third time. I wondered why that person was still waiting. It was quite obvious that there wasn't anyone at home. I didn't have anyone to visit me so I didn't think that person who wants to see is me. My parents and siblings all had a spare key with them. If they didn't have it or they lose it, they usually just call the phone. So its highly unlikely for them to ring the doorbell. 

  As I kept wondering, the doorbell rang the fourth time. I stood up unwillingly and slowly dragged my body to the door to show my annoyance. As the fifth one came, I abruptly opened the door. There stood my only friend Rizzane. Unlike my other friends from high school, she was the only one who still kept in contact with me even after I graduated. She was my classmate in Animation, Art, and Drafting even though she was a year older than me and graduated before me. I still chatted with her every now and then on messenger. I'm thankful to simply have someone with similar hobbies to chat with. And I was also grateful for the fact that she always remembered my birthday and always gave me a gift. Though she was also like that with her other friends, so simply hoping that I was special to her was just a wishful thinking. 

The light flickers through her hair, showing a lighter shade of brown in the outlines of her dark wavy hair. 
She smiled and said, "Good, you're here. I was wondering if you were still sleeping or using your headphones. I would have spammed the doorbell if you didn't come any time soon."  Well, she knows me really too well. I would have been still sleeping until late afternoon or play with my headphones on in full volume. 

"Well, my mother woke me up before she left for work and I couldn't go back to sleep after she woke me up. Anyway, what's with the sudden visit?"

She usually sends me a message before coming to my house and usually, she has a reason to do so. The last time she came was around Summer two years ago. So obviously I wasn't expecting anyone to visit.

"I don't really know how should I tell you but for now, would you like to have a cup of tea with me?"

"Why? We can just talk here or inside my house."

"Do you really want me to come to your house?"

Now that she mentions it, that isn't really a good idea. My house is a mess and if my siblings come home and find out I invited a girl. They would tease me to no end, and we won't be able to have a decent conversation when they're around.

"Oh, you're right. Give me 5 minutes. Let me just change my clothes."

"Take your time."

I run to my room and grab any clothes that were at the top pile in my drawer. I quickly rinse my face and wore my clothes hoping I didn't make her wait for too long.
With a hobo looking clothes I went out and saw her standing at the gate checking her phone. As she heard me closing the door, she looked at me and said, 

"Are you ready?"

"Yea, kinda. So where are we going?" I asked

"Well, there's a cafe near here, just 5-minute walk from here."

She leads the way and I followed her. Its the middle of the summer and the sun is glaring from my eyes. The heat spreads through my entire body causing me to sweat profusely. Despite being in this heat, Rizzane is wearing a shirt, dark blue coat, jeans and a backpack. She's also wearing a hat and glasses to cover her head. Her entire body is covered with clothing, that it makes me feel hot just looking at her. I silently followed her through the sidewalk and while crossing the street. Before I even knew, we already arrived. 

As we enter the cafe, we sat at a nearby table that was by the window. Before I could ask anything she asked, 
"Is there anything you want to drink? My treat."

"Uhmm, well... I don't know. I don't really go outside that much, even if the store is just a few minutes away from my house. Just choose anything."

Her face looks slightly troubled, "Ok, don't complain if I choose something weird."

"Haha,,.I won't"  I smile at that thought. Though now I'm anxious if she actually gonna make me drink something weird.

She went to counter to buy our drinks. While I took out my switch that I brought with me. The game I'm playing is monster hunter xx. Its the game that I'm trying to convince her to buy but she said she had enough with just her ps4. She bought her the ps4 at the same time she bought monster hunter world. She was so excited about playing the game, that she bought a console just to play it. Though a new monster hunter game just came out just 6 months after the monster hunter world release. I fully understand why she's against on buying a new console or game, but I want to play with her.

As I was too preoccupied with my game, she put my drink on top of my head. The cold drink burnt my skin.
"Hey, why'd you do that for?"

"Lol, well, I feel like you won't stop playing if I don't do that"

"Shoot, my game... Dude, you killed me!"

"My apologies, though it was your fault for playing games in the first place."

"Fine or maybe your just a bit salty for not having this game."

"Pft, of course not. I never regretted my decision. But I really do want to try playing it just to see the difference."

"Well too bad, I won't let you borrow this."

"Yea... I know." 

The vibe suddenly changed. She was being a bit playful as we barter some comebacks to each other. But her last statement felt more remorseful.

"I was just kidding. I can let you borrow the game if you want."

"No, It's fine. I don't really need it."

Not being able to say anything back, the silence continues on for few minutes. It's like the very air around us was tense. I looked outside and saw a haze from the heat of the sun. It looks like the streets are boiling as if every drop of water would immediately evaporate. The heat was simply unbearable. Thankfully the shop has their air conditioner on. I drank the drink she gave me and its taste surprisingly good. It's not too sweet and it's easy to drink.  It tastes like a fruit juice but I'm not sure what type of fruit they used for it. I looked at her. She was also looking out the window.  In a deep thought. Even though its burning hot today, she ordered a hot drink.  She doesn't even look like she feeling the heat at all. Sipping on her drink, gazing to the haze, and minding her own business. Though I wonder what she really wants to talk about. 

Breaking the silence I said, "The drink tastes great. What's the name of it?"

Startled by the sound and being pulled by her deep thoughts, she smiled and answered, "I don't know."

"You don't know?? I thought you chose something you're familiar with."

"I didn't, more like I can't. I only drink hot drinks. I asked the barista for a recommendation, and I just bought what he recommended. I didn't try to remember the name."

"Wait. . . You only drink hot drinks??"

"Yea"

"Why??"

"Cause I'm cold."

"You're cold in this hot weather?"

"Yea."

"But you're already covered with clothes. Aren't you warm enough?"

"Yea, but its still not enough"

I didn't understand why she was cold. So I touched her hand. To my surprise, its freezing cold.

"Why are your hands so cold? Did you get into a freezer before coming here?"

"No"

"Then Why?"

"It's in my constitution. I just feel cold."

I continued holding her hand. It's so cool. Compared to mine which is sweltering hot. The heat from my hands is starting to feel cool as if she passed her coldness to me. She reminds me of a tale from Japan. If I remember correctly I think its Yoki-onna or a snow girl. But unlike the tale, she doesn't die from the heat.

 "Can I put your hands on my face?"
Shoot, I didn't think properly before asking. I sounded more like a pervert.

She snickered, "Yea, sure."

She put her hands on my cheek and asked: "How was it?"

The coolness of her hand spread throughout cheek "It's so cool, It feels good."

She put her other hand to my other side of the cheek. "You feel so warm," she said

After a minute or so, she pulled back her hands. She grabbed her drink and she sipped on her tea.

"Anyway, what did you want to talk about?" I promptly asked.

"Well, I just graduated last week."

"Wow, Congrats. what program were you taking?"

"Structural Engineering"

"I thought you were doing video game designing?"

"Yes, I was. I finished it already"

"Wait, when did you take it?"

"The same time I was doing Structural Engineering."

"You mean, you took two different programs at the same time?"

"Yea."

"How is that possible? I thought you were doing full-time."

"I was. The video game designing diploma can be done online. So I did the Structural Engineering in the morning and the game designing in late evenings every day for an entire year."

"Dude, that's amazing. I can never do both programs at the same time if it was my case."

"Well, you can do it if you try."

"Nope, I don't think I can."

"Anyway, what program are you taking?"

"I'm in General Studies part-time. Though I still don't know what I really want to do."

"I thought you were taking Visual Arts or Creative Writing. You were so good at it."

"I can't really visualize myself doing those in the future. Though I'm still doing them as a hobby."

"What a waste."

"So did you found a job?"

"Yea, I did."

"Really? For Video Game Designing?"

"No, for Aircraft mechanic in Alberta"

"In Alberta, you mean-"

"Yea, I'm moving."

"When?"

"Tomorrow."

"Isn't it a bit too soon?"

"No, not really. I already packed everything. Or more like, I only have a few to bring with me."

"But don't you have dozens of clothes and stuff to bring with you?"

"No, I donated all my clothes and I'm giving out my stuff."

"The heck, why did you donate all your clothes?"

"Cause I don't need it."

"What do you mean?"

"I don't need it"

"Explain. You need clothes to wear for everyday clothing right?"

"Yea, but all those clothes. I didn't buy any of them."

"What?"

"Those clothes I wore before were all bought by my parents or hand-downs from my sibling... Sometimes a gift from a friend that was given to me during Birthdays or Holidays."

"I don't understand. Why did you throw them now?"

"Cause those clothes were always too big or too small for me. I don't need them anymore."

"Yea, but that doesn't mean you have to throw them now."

"No, I need to throw them now or I have to bring more unnecessary stuff with me. Speaking of unnecessary-" She grabbed her backpack and took out a shoe box in it.

"Here, keep this." I took and opened it. It contains all different types of PSP, psvita, and Nintendo ds games. And also psvita and Nintendo DSi console.

"Why are you giving me this?"

"Cause I don't need it."

"I don't need it either. These games and consoles, you worked and saved money for. This, I don't need it all." 

"Well, you can give it to someone or recycle it. Or keep the psvita with you since you're always breaking your consoles."

" NO! Why are you doing this?"

"Because I have to."

"What do you mean you have to? Didn't you enjoy playing your games with your consoles?"

"I did, But-"

"What about ps4? Or the piano that you love so much?"

"I've given it both to my brother"

"WHY?"

"Cause he can put it to good use."

"Even your piano?"

"Yea, even my piano. He's learning piano by himself and knows more songs than me now."

"Why are you doing this to yourself? Don't you have precious memories with those items?"

"Yes, but memories is something unnecessary for me now."

I was furious at what she's doing to herself. It feels like she's trying to disappear from everyone. Or more like cutting herself away from her loved ones. As I was preoccupied with my thoughts, I didn't descry at what she's doing.

"And lastly, here." My thoughts were interrupted and I saw a small box in the palm of her hands. My heart sank to the bottom of the abyss.  I know exactly what it was without opening it.

My throat feels like it was constricted but I somehow able to say "Why?"
I didn't look at her and simply stared at the box. Her voice is similar to the sounds of chattering in the background. I didn't hear anything of what she said.

The only thing I heard was "Don't you think its pitiful to the ring right?" 

I didn't answer. I can't answer. My head was spinning. The voice in my head keep asking WHY? WHY? WHY?
She kept talking but my mind is still in shock. Before I know it, she already left. Leaving her things with me.

© 2018 Degenerate Person


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

101 Views
Added on May 24, 2018
Last Updated on May 24, 2018