Drummer Boy

Drummer Boy

A Story by airi7
"

This was a contest entry. It is about young boy leaving his love to be a drummer boy in the war. Drummer boy and his future wife write letters back and forth to each other while they are seperated.

"

Prologue

 

I admit it; I’m going to miss you. You are going to cross my mind everyday in your favorite Lilac, floral sundress you love to wear. I will make sure I record every detail. I will write what I feel, how I sleep, and how I shed a tear while gazing at your picture every night. You have to promise me. Promise me you will send your prayers to all the participants in the war. Promise me you will dodge the sound of chirping birds, whispering crickets, and mourning of cows just to hear the “rat-ti-tat” of my hollow, drum. Promise me all those things and I will reach above skyscrapers every day to touch your soft, delicate, warm hand. So, pinky swear?

 

 

 

Camp In Fort Sumter     1861

 

Dear Elizabeth II of Raleigh,

I am resting in Gettysburg. The first relaxation day the crew has received since a whole week. To relax, I decided to write you because your worry bewilders me. Besides, I  know your eager to hear my stories for my beginning week. For starters the food is decent. Every morning I wake up to the the aroma of tar black, bitter coffee, with the side of toasted bread ( flour biscuit). I would kill for a home cooked meal. I met a friend, his name is Billy Belium. Billy was conceived in Massachusettes. I would describe him as a petite, thin fellow with crimson curly hair, pale peach skin, and forest green eyes that often cross each other. The crew calls him Abe, because he is an honest man just like him. I wish there were more people like him. We are preparing for the first battle. Oh Elizabeth I pray that we win this war.

 

 

Raleigh, North Carolina  1861

 

Dear William III of Raleigh,

 It’s great that things are going splendid for you. I chuckled at the site of Billy. He reminds me of your deceased brother. He would be so proud of you for taking his place. I hope you win this war too. I am disgraced will the mean remarks the South is spreading. They are so confident in winning this war that it scares me. I listened for your drum like I promise but I hear nothing. Just the other day, spoiled Southern belles raided our shops. One flaunted her lime green, silk dress  that took more space in a room than a couch. She had peach skin with red cheeks and big brown eyes that went in a circle every time you looked at her. She perched her crimson lips and blew fog all around. I looked her straight in the eye and said “ No smoking in my shop, please.” She stared into my soul and plunged her flaming pencil onto the marble floor you worked so hard on. What did I do? I ran and cried.

 

                                  Battle at Fort Sumter

Dear Elizabeth,

I feel so guilty for not being there to protect you from the bullies that mock our territories. I promised you we will receive the good fortune and we did. The first shots were taken and the war began. Ullysses S. Grant led us through the war with a victory. I remember the energy arousing to my hands as I thrashed the drum with my solid drum sticks . I beat once, than twice. The sound of guns pushed me back as the wind carried the souls of the deceased. Ash smothered the ground while smoke piled up among us. Grant screamed orders and we followed. I counted the number of soldiers who hit the ground, and some people in my position too.I squealed as bullet shells burned my skin through my cotton, blue uniform. I soon started to wonder, will I die here?

 

Raleigh 1861

Dear William,

 The bravery, the force, the blood all gives me nightmares. I beg you William, please don’t think negative thoughts. I want you to at least have hope for the both of us. Envisions of  Ulysses keeps flickering in my head, it must be amazing to be given orders by a great leader. What an experience this must be for you. I sent you a gift to make you more superior.  I figured it will give more heart. Keep fighting for us.

 

 

Battle Of Bullrun

Dear Elizabeth,

You were right as always , I have never been angrier. Reading Uncle Tom’s Cabin showed me the views of slavery I could never imagine. I not only now want to fight for us, I really want to fight for the freedom of slaves. The anger has made me invincible to our enemies and it showed at our second battle. Bullrun was our first major battle I have been waiting for. Lots of lives were lost, but we kept going.  My hands burned with blisters and I struggled with dry skin. I struck through the war praying it would end. I felt no gain in this war but I did feel power.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Raleigh, North Carolina

Dear William,

 I’m so proud of you William, you survived. I have faith in all of you. I heard there are only twenty three states left in the union since the South departed to be in Confederacy. Someone asked me have I ever thought to surrender to the South. I politely answered “Not a day in this war!”  I knew you wouldn’t. I had a dream that told me that a tragedy was among us. Prove them wrong, tell them that we will make it.  I can’t help but feel desperate now that you left.  Make this war end, make it stop.

 

Burning Of Atlanta

Dear William

 William did you hear about Atlanta? The devil himself possessed Sherman to do this.  He marched through there and burned it to the dirt. Innocent people perished under the fire. We just got the list of who were killed and many were unknown because of how burned they were. Marion from Charleston is worried about her husband. I can’t imagine the heat and sadness flowing through the air right now.  The best I can do is, giving her prayer.  Robert E. Lee, Army leader of the Confederacy is boiling with anger. I’m scared for the Union, for all of us. This will be a long war.

 

 

It saddens me to inform you that William II of Raleigh perished under the fire of a burning building. He was being the hero he always was. I replied as soon as I received your letter. William was a great friend.

My prayers go to you and his family- Billy Belium

© 2012 airi7


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

79 Views
Added on August 30, 2012
Last Updated on August 30, 2012

Author

airi7
airi7

FL



About
My name is Airielle and writing is my passion. more..