MisMatch.com

MisMatch.com

A Story by A. J. Bartlett

It has come to my attention, the disappointing state most personal sites are in these days. Being a "member" of such sites like Match, Friendorama, and even the mediocre sites like MySpace, I have a firsthand experience with such disappointments.

As something of a nudge of curiosity, I registered for Match.com, one of the many sites that advertises itself after you do something on MySpace. The ads themselves show some young, attractive individual, with a "headline" of sorts saying, "Find TRUE LOVE Today!" In actuality, the ad really says, "Congratulations on being able to hit the 'SEND' button! Now, ogle a picture of someone you will possibly never get!"

But the joke's on them: what else would "Save Picture As..." be used for?

Match.com is supposed to be some kind of high-level, can-get-you-a-relationship-fast website, claiming it has millions of people to choose from, one of which is just right for you! Come to find out, it's a load of nonsense. Not the site's fault, though; it's all on that of the users.

I like to think of myself as fairly honest and, for the most part, open about my opinions and feelings. After so many years of being told that "women love an open and honest man," I'm starting to find that, being twenty-four years old, I am absolutely screwed. It seems, at this point in everyone's lives, females my age are either more about doing reckless and stupid things, or severely buckling down and term themselves "goal-oriented." There is no real middle ground, but it turns out that both types have very strict criteria and expectations. You can be this, but not do that; you can do that, but not say this. For a guy like myself, one who tries to go with a flow, with a little bit of a moral backbone to help me, well, stay alive, it's become difficult to find someone who is willing to, at the very least, meet me, let alone date me.

And whatever happened to "honesty is the best policy"? From what I have observed, my talks of being a somewhat insightful person - and giving examples to prove it - seem to fall by the wayside when compared to someone with the handle "2hawt4U", who is anything but. Maybe when I'm thirty-four, my insight will be able to hook someone into being curious to meet me, but as of right now, since I don't drink, don't smoke, and don't "party" as it were, the options for me seem to be quite limited; the same seems to go for the religious zealots, the college graduates, or the girls looking for the rich guys to buy them shiny cars and everything else under the sun.

Then there are those people who list "Friendship" as one of the reasons they signed up for the service. Try messaging one of them, also stating how you'd like some friends - as well as finding someone to truly connect with - and see where that gets you. It goes with the whole "honesty" thing: if you are using something for one purpose only, don't list several dozen; and vice versa. I know why people do it, though: for the hits and the many more messages they can receive from people. Someone reading the profile sees "Here for: Friends" and automatically thinks, "Hey! I have a shot!" In actuality, they really don't: that profile's user just doesn't want to look like a w***e.

I've expressed my irritation with these sites, mainly the irritation aimed at the people using them, and those whom I've talked to have all said the same thing: embellish a little, make yourself sound more interesting. Without question, those people are no longer my confidants, nor are they my friends (or alive) anymore. I happen to be very interesting, thank you very little. And I know that anyone who doesn't agree isn't worth my time.

While my parents were in town for my birthday, my stepfather asked me how things were "on the girl front." I could have answered with a joke about girl fronts, since it was that kind of day, but instead I answered with a snort. "That good, huh?" he replied.

He went on to tell me about groups that I could think about, ways to get out and meet people, but none of them sounded all too interesting to me. For one thing, I don't believe in church; and from what I have seen of people who go to church these days (excluding a few friends that I have, who have only remained sane because of their friendships with me) I don't really want to be like that. As I mentioned before, I don't drink; I can't really take being around too many drunk people for too long, so going to bars or to clubs is out of the question.

 

Of course, I could just be making excuses for myself, but it's my opinion, and it's right.

The day after my birthday, my mother tried to call my grandmother, but somehow ended up calling the wrong number. Twice. Ten minutes after the second call, the phone rang, and it was from the number that had accidentally been called. My mother answered the phone, and I could hear, from across the room, what sounded like a young woman on the other end. When my mother hung up the phone, I made a noise and said, "Why didn't you ask her how old she was?"

To somewhat sink the blow, my mother said, "I don't know. She did sound young, though, didn't she?"

I shook my head. "Wrong numbers," I said, turning to my stepfather, "Now that's how I can meet girls!"

© 2008 A. J. Bartlett


Author's Note

A. J. Bartlett
This was written as a blog, back in 2007. I thought it was pretty amusing, so I decided to share it on here.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like how you think (in 2007 at least) you have pegged these "dating" sites on their so called "help" mechanisms. You made several good points amidst your fun sarcastic tone, but my overall favorite sentence here had to be:
"Of course, I could just be making excuses for myself, but it's my opinion, and it's right."

Confidence in your own mind is key. It is all you have as an individual. Strength is it. No one, especially some meet-new-people-now web site, is going to hold your confidence up. I'm glad you recognize this in this statement.

Don't worry if your step dad or mother think what they do. If you don't want love or are not interested in the silly ways society thinks it easy to find, don't do it. You said it yourself, you know its right. No love will not fall in your lap. No fate will not come through when you least expect it. This is on you. And you are far too smart to use some dumb a*s website to match your intellect. Don't. Find something your passionate in and pursue it actively. There you will find others like you.

You may not have needed or appreciated any of what I said, but I felt I should say it after what I read. Hence a review I suppose. Talk to you soon friend.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

418 Views
1 Review
Added on April 22, 2008

Author

A. J. Bartlett
A. J. Bartlett

Raleigh, NC



About
So... Charlie wants to set up a website, yet not back it up? That's fine. After the terrible business of the Cafe Purge, I decided I no longer wished to post my stuff on this site. I mean, when you t.. more..

Writing
7:26 7:26

A Story by A. J. Bartlett