Role of Patient Engage Community on Society

Role of Patient Engage Community on Society

A Story by ajeetbook

Social groups such as patients’ communities, caregivers’ groups, doctors’ networks have been doing phenomenal work for patients’ well being. These social health groups are spread across geological boundaries and are phenomenally growing in numbers.


Need of reliable support group for patients

 

Today one can search the web for communities for almost every chronic disease. We have social networking groups for cancer, diabetes, arthritis, asthma, and so forth. These patient engage groups are contributing in many ways to enhance quality of patients’ lives.

 

It is very difficult to track the history of patient support groups. However these communities have come into existence to address needs of patients who are not able to get information or knowledge about various aspects of the diseases.

 

Many patients find it very difficult to attend seminars or group activities due to physical as well as financial constraints. It is practically difficult for the patients to be physically present for patient education seminars organized by local clubs.

 

Thanks to the technological revolution brought in by internet and smartphones, one can access these communities from the comforts of his or her home. Patients as well as their caregivers can also participate in online meetings.

 

One very significant advantage of patient communities is that these groups address the issues of specific demography. For example, patients from a particular state or town find it more relevant to get access to the group from their own place.

 

Newly diagnosed patients and healthcare communities

 

It is not very difficult to imagine psychological condition of a newly diagnosed cancer patient. One may collapse due to the mental trauma of an imminent death due to the terminal illness.

 

When such a devastating disease is staring at you, you need someone who can understand your condition. Your relatives and caregivers may try to offer you help to some extent. In such situation one needs support and guidance from fellow patient who has gone through such event.

 

We must appreciate cancer survivors who offer their support to other individuals who suffer from similar or other type of cancer. This is possible because of patient engage communities.

 

Patients with severe chronic diseases suffer from loneliness and hopelessness. These support groups address this issue very effectively by offering seamless access to doctors and patients who are suffering from similar diseases through chats.

 

You can also seek advice from the patients who have been cured from the disease. Such interactions definitely boost morale of patients.

 

You will be surprised to know that for many patients with severe and chronic diseases online communities are the only source of motivation and encouragement. They can access these portals for updating their knowledge about following aspects:

 

  • disease treatment,
  • new diagnostic procedures,
  • availability of caregivers,
  • Information about hospitals
  • Doctors’ advice

 

There are many established online support groups for patients providing services of panel doctors. Patients can feel free to seek their advice regarding progress of their disease, pathological findings, medicines, and so forth.

 

Truly, role of patient engage communities on society in general and patients in particular is laudable. Patients and caregivers should try to get engaged with these groups for improving their knowledge about different parameters of the diseases. 

© 2015 ajeetbook


Author's Note

ajeetbook
PatientsEngage.com is one of the most sought after resource to get authentic information by connecting with survivors as well as opinion leaders. Visit http://patientsengage.com for free registration now.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

40 Views
Added on January 15, 2015
Last Updated on January 15, 2015
Tags: Patient Engage, healthcare

Author