I Suck at Poetry

I Suck at Poetry

A Poem by Jason Henry

Pen to paper;

Parchment, pencil.

No talent begins to register

As I study Frost.

Purchasing the poetry stencil

Then a glance at the broken swine.

Maybe i was lucky before now.

Screenplay, lyrics: a new vocation.

But with less sting and strain.

I have been merely staining the book

Four years.

With all my ammunition used

To kill and cope,

What do I do with all this graphite?

© 2008 Jason Henry


Author's Note

Jason Henry
the broken swine = piggy bank (its there for a purpose)

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Ha, no one ever said we can earn a living from this! To receive a positive comment is the most that I ever hope for! IF we are going to be famous, it's usually after we're dead and gone!
This is different and made me think. You have expressed the frustration that writing poetry can bring. It's so addictive though!. There are no stencils and we all have to find our own voice when writing. Yours is strong, with imagery that gives this reader a glimpse into your feelings about writing and poetry from your perspective.
Write on!!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jason Henry

10 Years Ago

could not have said it better myself. and thank you.



Reviews

I have to admit it... I like it! Making fun of yourself is so important for a healthy mind. Sometimes we take ourselves too seriously. Well played

Posted 10 Years Ago


Jason Henry

10 Years Ago

thanks, glad u liked
Ha, no one ever said we can earn a living from this! To receive a positive comment is the most that I ever hope for! IF we are going to be famous, it's usually after we're dead and gone!
This is different and made me think. You have expressed the frustration that writing poetry can bring. It's so addictive though!. There are no stencils and we all have to find our own voice when writing. Yours is strong, with imagery that gives this reader a glimpse into your feelings about writing and poetry from your perspective.
Write on!!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jason Henry

10 Years Ago

could not have said it better myself. and thank you.
I hate to admit it but in a strange way I can relate to this. It is almost like the random thoughts one gets when trying to write something and nothing really comes, so one resorts to writing them down as they slip through the mind. These kind of thoughts slither on slippered feet or crash through in hob nailed boots or twirl in ballet slippers and just dance, hover and crash through - waiting to be caught and used. Or so it is with me anyway.

You do not suck at poetry! You have written about the difficulty of getting started - the frustration of finding it not working and very well may I add.

I like the image of the broken swine, it stands alone yet connected because it separates what you are now trying to do from what you did in the past. It tells me you were successful before but time or fate has been unkind and only a broken piggy bank reminds you of what once was.

Now you wonder if it was a waste of time and energy because you feel you have been just 'staining the book' instead of achieving what you want.

You feel you have done all you can and wonder what the hell can you do with the pencils.

Well, I can tell tell you that - just grab more sheets of paper and start writing again.

Poetry can be anything you want it to be - just write words from your heart and let us make of it what we will. Just be true to yourself and the words will come.

Cheers

jen




Posted 15 Years Ago


Aw, Frost is a poet's poet. But there are others. Maybe you'll find another Muse more suited to your taste. I would be tickled to death to find I had a talent for fiction--any sort would do. But, alas I find I only ever write poetry. And not the noble rhyming kind.

This is a clever work. Your title and seeing the notice that James marked it a favorite drew me in. I'm glad I stopped by.

If you're into returning reviews, you might check out "The Curse". Sort of a different look at writing poetry--tongue in check.

Posted 15 Years Ago


I really loved this piece, stellar work!

jkb

Posted 15 Years Ago


CLEVER
Thank you for reading my work
I was just returning the favor
This was really clever
Bravo and cheers to you, lea

Posted 15 Years Ago


no yu do not suck at poetry!.. this is nice

Posted 15 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Ari
The last line of this is great, but I have a hard time with some of the rest of it. Some lines seem to just appear out of nowhere, such as line 6, and then disappear without any explanation. Line 6 makes absolutely no sense to me. Also, try not to start every line with a capital letter, as it makes for a really choppy read.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

263 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on July 22, 2008
Last Updated on August 6, 2008

Author

Jason Henry
Jason Henry

Somewherelse, Jamaica



About
"Some moments are nice, some are nicer, some are even worth writing about." - Charles Bukowski, War All The Time more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


A Poem A Poem

A Poem by Sean Allen