What Topic Should You Choose When Writing an Essay?

What Topic Should You Choose When Writing an Essay?

A Story by Alexandra Grayson

When your teacher gives you a broad theme, you usually get several ideas on the way to approach it. World War 2, for example, is a really general topic that gives you tons of opportunities. Things get even worse when your teacher asks you to write an essay about anything that inspires you. Are you supposed to write about your favorite book/movie, your favorite leader, the house of your dreams, or your best friend? This dilemma can easily get you in a writer’s blog. You have too many ideas, so you decide not to write about anything for a week, and you hope that the solution will appear out of nowhere.

It’s time for a wakeup call: ideas are a good thing! It’s worse when you don’t have them. You’ve surely been in this situation: your professor asks you to write an essay on any topic that seems interesting to you, but you can’t think of anything fun to write about.

After discussing the issue with the professional writers from YourHomeWorkHelp (business web page) we developed a lit of tips that can be useful in both situations: they will help you pick the best idea when you have too many options, but they will also help you think of a topic that will be fun to explore.

1. The topic should express your personality

When you don’t know what to write about, write about your beliefs. Everyone has a specific set of beliefs, and it’s always fun to explore where yours come from. Are they imposed by the society, or did you discover your own calling?

Remember: writing an essay about what you’ve done is not a great idea, since it will seem like bragging. It’s always better to write about who you are and who you want to become.

2. Find inspiration from great writers

You recall that your teacher was particularly impressed by an essay your friend wrote, so you opt for the same theme. Maybe you get an idea to find inspiration on websites that feature essays written by students. Don’t do that.

You don’t want to write like a student; you want to write like a pro if you want to impress. Check out authoritative websites and online magazines, such as Rolling Stone, Brain Pickings, or Paris Review. You don’t have to look for essays in particular; your inspiration can come from any article. When you discover a special topic you’re really interested in, you can turn it into an essay.

3. Write about something that’s not fair

It may be an experience you went through, but it can also be any other world issue that’s just not fair. Of course, your essay shouldn’t be completely pessimistic. You have to show how you’re dealing with the matter and what changes can be made.

4. Write about a strange interest

Is there something you really care about, but other people are not really concerned about it? Maybe you want to save the seals, create a better environment for turtles, or help kids to develop better friendships? If you have a particular interest that’s not that popular among people, then you have your topic!

5. Write about the future you want to have

This one is always a winner. When you don’t know what to write about, then focus on your journey. What college do you want to attend? Why? Why did you decide to go to graduate school and what do you plan to do after that? If you don’t want to go to college, what will you do instead? Where do you see yourself in 10 years and why?

This topic is not as simple as it seems, mainly because it demands some soul-searching. When you answer these questions to yourself, you’ll be on your way to writing a great essay.

Be grateful that you’re left with the flexibility to choose your own topic. That means you can write about something awesome! Hopefully, the tips listed above will guide you to the perfect choice.

© 2017 Alexandra Grayson


Author's Note

Alexandra Grayson
By Alexandra Grayson, a professional writer at YourHomeworkHelp (business web page) who graduated from Clark Atlanta University with major in literature

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

200 Views
Added on November 15, 2017
Last Updated on November 15, 2017
Tags: writing, essay, topic, choice

Author

Alexandra Grayson
Alexandra Grayson

Phoenix, AZ



About
a student who is majoring in literature and is working on her book more..