From Your Home

From Your Home

A Poem by Annette Lemma
"

A personal poem of gratitude to my family

"

Look at them. I’m not sure they know what they are doing. Should they feed that crying baby or just hold him? "The house is in disarray" but the kids are smiling, building forts out of the sofa cushions. They are eating again. All of them at the same table. It looks painful trying to get that one to eat the colors. Will there be enough dessert?

And there they go! Rushing to go somewhere again: school, work, scouts, baseball, softball, soccer, track practice, games, dance and music lessons. Will there be enough room for all their stuff? Ah, another bag of outgrown clothing " a little breathing room.

My walls are changing colors. That brush tickles! Pretty. My floors hurt. But I’m getting stronger, holding them up- grounding them, feeling their knees when they pray together each night. And the weight of all those party people! More laughter. More celebration! Super Bowl! World Series! New Year’s Eve! Jumping and Dancing! And then something salty and wet… tears on the carpet. The pillow. The shower. So many tears of loss for the one who would come to babysit and change the light bulbs and eat Christmas dinner. So many memories.

Legos and Pokemon who went away to military school. Braces and guitar strings. Shoes everywhere! Awards on the fridge one on top of the other. Hard workers, lovers, givers. Building a business in the basement and another car in the garage. Let’s name this one Fern! Sun salutations on the deck, trees, veggies, flowers and more flowers.

Proms and anniversaries. Birthdays and Everydays. Hugs and kisses and you matter to me! She melted a pot on the stove. She melted my heart.

Here in this place there is Unconditional love and trust. I love them. I trust them. We will take care of each other.

Take a deep breath
You're home now

© 2016 Annette Lemma


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

97 Views
Added on October 6, 2016
Last Updated on October 6, 2016

Author

Annette Lemma
Annette Lemma

Philadelphia, PA



About
The first poem I enjoyed writing was an assignment. "Write a poem about a junk drawer", he instructed. Since then I have learned to see the value of observing and capturing on paper that which ot.. more..

Writing