The Truth -- Monologue

The Truth -- Monologue

A Stage Play by Alex
"

From a poem, inspired by a TRUE STORY, extended by request.

"

(Special fades in CS. A young woman sits on a stool, a vanity table in front of her, the mirror is on the fourth wall. She is dressed up formally, obviously going out. During the following, she prepares her make up, jewlery, and hair.)

I can feel you approaching. I can hear the rumble of your car on the street, I can smell the cheap cologne you wear. Most of all, I can feel it rising. A painful, steady and slow, twisting nausea. As cruel and unfounded as my hatred may be, it is the truest feeling I have for you now. I can't bear your presence. Your laugh, your way of speaking, the way you eat, the way you dress, the things that amuse you so... I hate your friend, or lack thereof. I hate how much and how sickeningly you love me. I hate that you're just right up the street.
And yet, no matter how much I despise the thought of your lips against mine, I am so afraid to admit my long-founded hatred for you. (She rises.) How long have I pretended to want you? The embarrassment of rejection got the better of me. My hurt pride lashed out and caught onto you. And as I bettered myself, I drew you in. I felt so self-satisfied when you finally admitted to wanting me. When you looked into my eyes and I saw all the admiration I deserved. And for a while, perhaps, I had convinced even myself with this carefully played charade. How quickly I've seen the error of my ways.
Now, you're another bullet on my long list of things to take care of. Another box that I must check off at the end of the day. Another chore I must avoid at all costs. There is so much conscious effort in loving you and with each passing day I realize more and more just how well my energy would be spent somewhere else. It may have been my provocation that led me into such a sticky situation, but it seems my need for flattery has ultimately come my demise.
The situation is too complicated for someone like you to understand... (She resumes her seat and applies some make up that requires her to lean forward towards the mirror.) The truth becomes so unworthy of an explanation and already you are knocking at my door and already I feel I will lose whatever dinner I consume. I love you so much more when you were ten... minutes... away. (As she puts on the finishing touches to her face--punctuated by the final three words--she stands once more, flashing a bright smile in the mirror and hurries off stage, presumably to the door.)

Coming, my love!

(Blackout.)

© 2009 Alex


Author's Note

Alex
You can also read the original poem on this account. I'm still trying to extend it a bit. Any ideas?

My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Reviews

"I love you so much more when you were ten... minutes... away"

Should Love be loved?

Posted 14 Years Ago


wow. that is good. very good. I have to write a monologue for Blanche from Tennessee Williams' play " A Streetcar Named Desire" for my recreative AS coursework, and you have given me some inspiration. Thank you and well done :)

Posted 14 Years Ago


Not only is this piece well expressed, it also shows a woman that is tired of being treated wrongfully. Knowing that you deserve better, after thought you know you deserve better. So tired of reading about long lost loves, pain. It is refreshing to see a strong woman with the conviction to be the best human being she can in the time and energy she spends in this life. This stanza stands out and shows the strength that that literally shows the reader how to rise above the illusion trying to be portrayed, and see the reality of the situation. T o rise above and go forward and beyond!
"And yet, no matter how much I despise the thought of your lips against mine, I am so afraid to admit my long-founded hatred for you. (She rises.) How long have I pretended to want you? The embarrassment of rejection got the better of me. My hurt pride lashed out and caught onto you. And as I bettered myself, I drew you in. I felt so self-satisfied when you finally admitted to wanting me. When you looked into my eyes and I saw all the admiration I deserved. And for a while, perhaps, I had convinced even myself with this carefully played charade. How quickly I've seen the error of my ways."
Bravo ~ Jude :-)


Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

152 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 10, 2009

Author

Alex
Alex

HI



About
i kinda like dinosaurs a lot. more..

Writing
The Truth The Truth

A Poem by Alex



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..