Effective Poetry Writing Tips

Effective Poetry Writing Tips

A Story by Alex Stephen

Do you like reading or writing poetry? Every time you see something beautiful and close to nature, do you want to capture the moment in your writing?

If you are just writing for yourself, you don’t have to perfect and might not need any tips for writing. That is only to for you, as a hobby or to express yourself. Simply write whatever you are feeling in a rhythmic manner.

If you are writing a poem for others, to reach out to your readers to give your message through your writing, simple writing won’t do the job. You will have to be more subtle with your writing expression.

Poetry Writing Tips

Here are a few tips that can help you with your poetry writing.

  1. What do you want to accomplish from your writing?

Before starting anything, you should be aware of your end goal. This rule is not limited to just poetry writing. No matter what you are doing, you just be aware of your goal. That will help you develop a strategy and execute it in a specific manner.


  1. Use Metaphors and Similes

Using Metaphors and similes help the readers understand your message by relating to other similar things. Metaphors and similes help bring visuals and imagery into your writing.

  1. Avoid using Clichés in your writing

You can use metaphors, but it is better to avoid clichés in your writing.

Are you wondering what clichés are?

Any metaphor or simile that has been overused will be considered a cliché. A cliché won’t provide the freshness to your writing or strengthen it since a cliché does not have the same impact on your writing as of some new metaphors or similes.


  1. Avoid sentimentality in your writing

Poems are usually sentimental. When you are writing about topics like nature or love, you want to create an emotional scenario for the readers so that they can imagine every word written from the core of their heart.

Being sentimental in every type of poem will decrease the impact of your writing. Your readers will feel that you are pushing them to feel such emotions.

Sentimental content can distract your readers from your message. If your writing is teary-eyed, your readers will spend their time in controlling their emotions rather than focusing on your message.

  1. Use solid and concrete words in your writing

Write your poem in a way that it becomes easy for your readers to understand and visualize your content. Avoid using abstract words or feelings in your poem.

  1. Rhythm according to your theme

No matter what topic you are choosing for your poem, it should have a theme. Choose your words according to the theme of your poem. You cannot write about war in sing-song nursery poem.

  1. Be original in your writing

You don’t have to be extraordinary with your poem. All you need is an original idea with your perception to write a beautiful poem for your readers.  


© 2019 Alex Stephen


Author's Note

Alex Stephen

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

36 Views
Added on May 17, 2019
Last Updated on May 17, 2019
Tags: write a poetry

Author

Alex Stephen
Alex Stephen

Glen Cove, NY



About
Hi, my name is Alex Stephen. I am a professional writer and work with www.5staressays.com more..

Writing