Attributes of an Emotional Support Animal

Attributes of an Emotional Support Animal

A Story by Alex Stephen
"

An ESA is an animal companion that provides support, comfort, and companionship to the mentally and physically disabled person through their presence.

"

An ESA is an animal companion that provides support, comfort, and companionship to the mentally and physically disabled person through their presence. Different types of animals can serve as ESAs but dogs, cats, and horses are proved to the best among them.

Though these animal pets are not specially trained to perform their owner’s tasks there are some important attributes that need to be present in them. They are as follows:

Basic Practices

Emotional support animals should be well behaved with their owners in a certain environment. They need to be polite, compassionate, obedient and calm. They must have a socializing nature and should not harm anyone.

Feel Comfortable when touched

An ESA must be comfortable with petting on the head, back or foot. Some people may have issues with muscle control and can be sloppy or accidentally cruel when petting animals. An emotional support animal will be disqualified if it shows any signs of aggression. Therefore, they must express a loving attitude with the patients.

The support animals must show a great sense of humor and person-pleasing tricks that makes people laugh and happy. They should enjoy showing up in funny masks and dresses on holidays or special occasions.

Therefore, an individual can get the services of these ESAs only if he is mentally or emotionally disabled. For that, it needs to consult a mental expert to get an emotional support letter. If the consultant feels the need to employ a dog as an ESA with the patient, an individual will get an emotional support dog letter. Only then it will be able to get a valuable companionship of an assistance animal.

What are the major disabilities that qualify for ESA?

The following 6 disabilities are the major ones that can qualify an individual for the ESA.

1.       Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)

Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is a state of mental health triggered by a traumatic incident either experiencing or witnessing it. Symptoms can include memories, delusions, severe anxiety, and uncontrollable feelings about the event. Many individuals who go through stressful events may have occasional adjustment problems, but they typically get better with time and good self-care.

2.       Bipolar Disorder

Bipolar disorder, also known as manic depression, is a state of mental health that induces extreme mood swings, including hypomania and depression. You can feel euphoric, full of energy, or extremely irritable when the attitude switches to mania or hypomania. This disorder can affect sleep, appetite, activity, and attitude.

3.       Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD or ADHD)

Attention Deficit Disorder is a serious disorder that affects millions of children and often carries on into adulthood. It includes a combination of things such as attention issues, hyperactivity, and impulsiveness. Additionally, children suffering from this disorder experience low self-esteem, unstable relationships, and poor academic grades.

© 2019 Alex Stephen


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

34 Views
Added on November 28, 2019
Last Updated on November 28, 2019
Tags: ESA letter, emotional support, emotional support letter, animal letter, support letter

Author

Alex Stephen
Alex Stephen

Glen Cove, NY



About
Hi, my name is Alex Stephen. I am a professional writer and work with www.5staressays.com more..

Writing