Constructivist Classroom Scenario Essay

Constructivist Classroom Scenario Essay

A Story by aliksaia
"

The classroom lesson on the solar system requires creativity to apply constructivist scenario to it. A constructivist approach would make the teaching highly interactive and thought-provoking. Moreove

"

Constructivist Classroom Scenario Essay

The classroom lesson on the solar system requires creativity to apply constructivist scenario to it. A constructivist approach would make the teaching highly interactive and thought-provoking. Moreover, problem-focused sessions provide a means for the students to evaluate abilities against challenges that are similar to real-life situations (Ozyer & Wilson, 2016). In addition, possibility of adjusting for different tasks in the classroom by the students improves their individual and collective learning (Sahin, 2013). Finally, an assessment of students understanding level needs to be done before the end of the lesson (Acar & Y?lmaz, 2015). In essence, the experience requires the inclusion of problem-based learning, an adjustment for differentiation and an assessment towards the end.

Incorporation of constructivism in the lesson on solar system requires the use of proper arrangement, identification, and understanding of the planets. Each of these stages of the sessions, as Acar and Y?lmaz (2015) outline, requires putting provocative questions to the learners with the next step allowed only after answering the query on the previous one successfully. For instance, the part of a lesson regarding proper arrangement of the planets in the solar system would contain the following provocative question: which planet comes immediately after the Earth? When this approach is implemented for each of the steps, students involvement increases (Sahin, 2013). As a result, learning assumes constructivist nature and becomes more effective. The constructivist approach described above would increase in strength when it includes problem-based learning (PBL) method. In this situation, every stage of the exercise would consists of a question that presents a challenge that needs to be solved by the students (Ozyer & Wilson, 2016). For instance, the second stage of adequately identifying the planets would include a problem in the form of a question like, for example, "which planet has only one moon orbiting it?" Answering this question would lead to a higher understanding of the next stage, namely the knowledge of at least one fact about the planet. Further, the students may be asked to imagine standing on Mars and determining which next planet would be more visible and located between them and the sun. These inquiry-based and problem-solving approaches would result in improved effectiveness of learning.

Adjusting for differentiation occurs through the splitting of the lesson time into four parts to dedicate some of it for the slow learners and those children who may have not fully understood the concepts. The first 20% of the lesson will be spent for the constructivist activity, followed by 40% of actual PBL, 20% for repeating the ideas for students with learning problems, and the remaining 20% for the exercises (Ozyer & Wilson, 2016). Peer learning technique will be used in relation to slow learners with the aim of improving students learning abilities. Therefore, all students would experience optimal learning process through the adjustment for differentiation.

The assessment part of the constructivist approach requires the inclusion of tasks on the concepts already learned during the lesson. The tasks will consist of three activities. They include adequately arranging the planets in their right order, appropriate identification of each of them, and finding a proper piece of information about any planet at random (Acar & Y?lmaz, 2015). The exercises are done orally to improve the involvement of the whole class. The activities would lead to strengthening the knowledge and concepts obtained during the lesson and for better comprehension of those areas, which may not have been understood by all students properly.

Constructivist approach is, hence, critical in teaching of health and other sciences due to the ability of the instructor to give the learners real life challenges that they are encouraged to solve through the PBL. As a result, the mastery of the scientific concepts becomes easier compared to pure theoretical explanation done by teachers in the classroom settings (Ozyer & Wilson,2016; Sahin, 2013). For instance, the class task of solar system proves that the planets are real objects in the universe that revolve around the sun. As a result, realism helps learners realize the information better, thereby boosting memorizing of the concepts.

A constructivist classroom scenario for the solar system lesson would adequately improve the level of students understanding of the subject. It would use the PBL, adjustment for the different levels of students' abilities, and assessment to gauge the mastery of the concepts among the learners. Ultimately, the goal of the lesson related to getting the students acquainted with solar system would be achieved.

 
This article was written by Alik Saia . More my works you can see here prime-essay.net

© 2021 aliksaia


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Excellent and most informative essay, Alik. I will immediately incorporate your fine advice into my sex education classes. Who says science need be boring. You are an inspiration.

Posted 3 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

28 Views
1 Review
Added on March 2, 2021
Last Updated on March 2, 2021
Tags: writer, essay

Author