Giant

Giant

A Story by Alfred Kukitz
"

A 60 foot man

"





“Do you want to come along”?

“Ah...No...No. You go on without me.”

“You don’t want to come for a drive”?

“No”.

“Is there something wrong”?

“No, not really. Why do you ask?”

“Something is wrong. I can tell. What is it?”

Phyllis leaned back into the chair. A brown leather overstuffed favorite chair of hers. She felt the cool leather caress her back. Her arms now rested on the chair’s arms. She wanted to raise her feet but the hassock was to far away from her legs so she extended them outward. She looked briefly at Phil, then turned away. 

“I have a bad feeling. That’s all.” 

Phil stayed silent for a whole minute. His eyes wandered over Phyllis, then the living room, finally he closed them. A rare silence gathered around them. 

“I had a vision Phil. A vision a giant was going to pick you and the car up into the air and toss you as far as possible.”

“What”?

“Yes. As obscured as it sounds it is true. I swear.” 

“You had a vision of this”?

“Yes”.

“What else happens “?

“You die. The car is ruined.”

Phil began thinking about all that Phyllis said. Giants didn’t exists. How could a giant?”

“I know what your thinking. Giants don’t exists. But today while you’re driving a 60 foot man will toss you like you’re a paper clip.” 

“I’m going. Do you want to come?”

“Phil trust me on this, will ya...please!”

“No! Definitely not.”

A huge brooding figure replaced Phyllis's’ face. She knew the last vision made a complete fool out of her and Phil. The whale story...Where a whale was going to swallow them while they were boating. It never happened. Not even close. No whales that day, not at all. She looked for whales all that day. Told several people, including close friends of Phil’s, relatives, just about everyone. Most people thought Phyllis's a little loose in the head and Phil looser for marrying her. But life went on without whales.

“Ok. I’m going. Phil’s memory gaining ground on the whale story and the embarrassment it provoked in him. He didn’t say anything about it, just recalled the incident, lived it momentarily and dismissed it. 

“Phil...please”. 

Out the door went Phil. The fresh breeze filled him. The day a perfect combination of temperature, sunshine and wind. 


On the eastward side of Route 33 stood a 60 foot giant, mainly picking up cars and tossing them as far as possible. So far 15 cars succumbed to his destruction. More car came but you can imagine the disbelief in the driver’s mind when they saw him. Some had enough sense to turn around and avoid the impending calamity; while others stupefied by the sight of a giant drove right into their own doom. The giant appeared to enjoy tossing the cars. He seemed child like and somewhat stupid. He roared like a lion and wore a measly tiger skin loin cloth around his genitals. 

Phil started on Route 33 at the Hellertown exit. He started east toward New Jersey because he liked the view. The stated speed was 65 m.p.h. He went 70. The car adjusted with its usual flair and responsiveness. Phil sped on. He played the soundtrack from the movie Gladiator by Hans Zimmer. The moon roof open, the air breezed into the car. All was well. Phil streaked across the highway, the power and freedom riding in his body. 


“I told you not to go. Remember?”

“Yes...Yes! I remember.”

“You thought I was mistaken. A giant you said. How could that be?”

“I know.....I’m sorry.”

“Now you’re dead. The car ruined. What were you thinking when you saw the giant?”

“Disbelief”.

“And that’s why you’re dead”?

© 2014 Alfred Kukitz


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Thanks Sami! You should read, Hi I'm a Movie Star and I'm Happy. There will be more. I'm submitting The Drift today.

Posted 9 Years Ago


I did not know you can write splendid stories like this one. I like the conversations. Excellent, sir...:)......................

Posted 9 Years Ago


The story came out of my head. When I looked at it I thought, hmmm, I like the way narrative took shape. Thanks ladies for visiting!

Alive & fearful I guess is better than dead.

Posted 9 Years Ago


This is different, cool story.
I guess the moral is that we all have to go at some time.
Might as well just live life and not worry about things.
The wife lives on, but is she really living if she's so phobic?

Posted 9 Years Ago


A curious tale … still pondering on the take home meaning …. was his wife psychic or just lucky … the whole 100 monkeys typing on a typewriter and shakespeare thing … a stopped clock is right twice a day … it does seem however that the hero died happily while his wife lived in fear …. yep … I'm going with that:)

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

180 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 26, 2014
Last Updated on November 26, 2014
Tags: giant, whales, route, Zimmer

Author

Alfred Kukitz
Alfred Kukitz

Deering, NH



About
Yes, I'm still here. Just jazzing up my about me story. Sorry I don't die at the end. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Pickles Pickles

A Chapter by Lyn Anderson


Wishing well Wishing well

A Poem by willweb