Petrichor and Afterimages

Petrichor and Afterimages

A Story by Alphs

i.

They say, the universe listens.

So, I told the daffodils you are ‘Moreno.’ Three inches taller than me. Much taller than the you that I met at the park of my first grade. Tomorrow, I’ll tell the sea about the way you speak. Condescending, but lonely. “A mother who wants to kill herself. What does that say to a child? That you're not worth sticking around for?” Because you remember your blues. Tonight, I’ll tell the stars about how your eyes dilate when tales of architecture pop in your feed. This second, my heart. For some reason, I'll forever keep a secret.


ii.

The overflowing time makes people turn to strangers. I never believed that will happen to us. But it did.

I used to think of taking a step back. If I don't hear or see you, forgetting you would be easy. I studied architecture in a faraway university, and you entered the military.  I found out I can't do it. Even though thousands of miles separate us, every day at every moment, no matter if my eyes are opened or closed, every image that appears for me is you.

And I had to ask myself: Do you only allow yourself to fall in love when it's convenient?


iii.

At night, search for Orion�"he will reveal the courage that I mustered all those years to say my feelings of affection.

I thought if ever you’ll say “I’m sorry”, I’ll reply with, ”If you're really sorry, then try to love me. Doesn't matter how much effort I have to put, if you don't like me, at least stay friends with me. Feel sorry for me... Then you'll spend more time thinking about me…” I figured you’d love me someday.

I waited for your arrival.


iv.

In the future, you have to try: shower the first carnation you find in London, they will tell your scent. Lie on the pink sands of oxford's shores, you will hear both the storm and silence I loved about you.

And if at some point you wonder why they seem to recognize you�"come. Place your ear on my chest and listen to my heartbeat. Under the blue skies of Europe, I told the universe about you.

Before you died in battle, I told the universe about you.

Before I sunk in tragedy, I told the universe about you.

And it listened.

Unlike you, who’s forever frozen in time, who never even got to hear those three words I’ve been meaning to say the past 25 years.

The universe does listen, but I should’ve told them to you.

© 2021 Alphs


Author's Note

Alphs
Do you think this qualifies as a short story?
Do you think it misses a few elements of a short story?
Any suggestions to make it better?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

22 Views
Added on April 19, 2021
Last Updated on April 19, 2021
Tags: shortstory, love, sad

Author

Alphs
Alphs

Pasay City, Metro Manila, Philippines



About
I'm a student :D more..