Why am I sending out read requests?

Why am I sending out read requests?

A Story by alternative_be
"

It is all in the story...

"

 

Why am I sending out read requests?
 
Some of my friends might be wondering, over the last few weeks, I tend to send out read requests every time I have written a new poem …
Though I first signed up here on October 19th 2007, I started writing at the beginning of March 2008, after building up my confidence at more general social network sites.
Let me tell you why I signed up here in the first place: I have been writing poetry from the age of 13 – 14 on-wards. At first in my native language, later on, after I had enrolled at Antwerp University in order to study German and English, I switched to English, which was my major language. At university the vast majority of subjects were being taught in either German or English and one day I found myself at the local butcher’s ordering steak and liver … in English!
At that point you can get the picture, most of my thinking, while studying or taking exams was done in English or German!
So after my final exams at university, I wrote my first poetry in English.
For those who have read my bio (posted as a story entitled ‘Who am I’) may have gathered that I abandoned my academic studies by choice in order to study Social Work at Bachelor’s level. At the time it was both a rational choice as well as an emotional choice.
Now, 24 years later on, I have come to the conclusion that though I still like being a counselor, I do feel the need to develop myself both on a personal level and on a professional level.
To cut a long story short, also the economical situation has changed and though there will always be a need for good social workers/counselors, now while accidentally browsing job sites, I discovered a far bigger demand for translators, editors, copywriters, ghost-writers, journalists, redaction managers and administrative employees of all sorts.
All jobs listed here require an extensive knowledge of French, English or German. This was not the case at the time I left university.
Now I feel it is the time to take my chance at changing careers for I am able to offer the skills that are being asked by employers and I am in dire need of a professional challenge.
As time goes by, I am taking my writing here more and more seriously. I regard my little part of this site as my English proficiency portfolio.
I have been told that some people send out read requests with the mere intention of getting their stats up, I am doing this, because I am in serious need of honest reviews. I want to know where I stand before I present myself to an employer.
So, the next time I send out a read request, you know why the request is being sent. I do not want to annoy you; I want feed back and am always ready to return the favour.
In case I am annoying you, please tell me, I will not impose on you anymore.
 
Thank you for reading this!

© 2008 alternative_be


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is great! I don't find read requests annoying at all. Those who don't want them, have the option of not accepting them/turning them off. We are here to read and write, so read requests are welcomed for me, however I do get buried and sometimes take longer to get to them than I'd like, or than the reader would like I'm sure.

I think we all should be looking for honest reviews, and it seems that often sight gets lost as to why we are here. It becomes more of a social site and popularity contest than an actual writer's site. I think what is important is constructive critism and inspiring and encouraging eachother's work. Helping us to improve! That's why I came here, to learn from all of the wonderful writers here, which I have and continue to do. I have also met some wonderful people here and ppl I now network with which is awesome.

I appreciate this piece and am so glad you wrote it. Again, you shouldn't have to worry about being an annoyance with read requests as this is a writer's site and why we are here! :):)

And I agree with Orlando, your English is quite good. I enjoy your work :) But I will too keep and eye out, and please do the same for me. :)

Peace, D

Posted 15 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I think this is a great post ~ more personal and very different from the norm! I agree with the others that a review should not be a problem. This is a writer's site and that should be part of what we do. It is to our benefit to review a piece. That is part of how we learn. Feel free to send me your writings for review. I must say, though, like the others, it may take me awhile to get back to you. I don't have as much time as I would like to be here. I wish you the best in your new endeavors!

Posted 14 Years Ago


I am happy to help you out so i will review your work as long as i time. Thanks for the insight.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I tend to reply slowly to any read requests. I do, however, often browse all of the writings on the site, and read any story or poem which appeals to my intellect or even my whimsical side at times.

I have also been know to read and not leave a comment or review. This is a habit of which I am attempting to rid myself.

I commend all writers who willingly share their words here in this public forum. To those of us to whom it may seem easy to pounce on the mistakes of others; I remind you that we all make mistakes. I now know that at times my reviews have seemed a bit judgmental. I am working to improve the language with which I review work. I find that suggestions are better received than derogatory comments

I too am a student of the English language. I speak American. I welcome constructive criticism.

As for your message, I agree. If ever you have something that you would like for me to read in a timely fashion, please send an email.

Your Friend,
Jonathan Bryant Dean

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

It's nice to know your history, I've been friends with you for a while and I had no idea that you weren't comfortable with your English...I think you write well, and you are most definitely proficient, if not fluent. And your read requests aren't annoying, I just feel bad because it takes me so long to get to them!

Cheers!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love read request actually it lets me know whos active or not. And it makes me feel nice knowing that people enjoy me feedback. I send them out so i too can get honest feedback and reviews *i plan on trying to be published by the end of my sophmore year in college*. So by all means if you want something reviewed...i will review it!

Danni J

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like read requests.
They are good when you want to review a writing,
but you don't know which one to review.
Enjoyable read.
Send me a request whenever.

T.S.



Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

As long as your requests are balanced by your reads, there is no imposition. Reading and writing will both develop your abilities. Though, I imagine, your English is probably better than mine.

People will either read or not depending on their disposition. Good luck with your career move.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Many thanks, I appreciate the concern you feel. I will welcome your read requests, although please excuse if don't respond to them immediately.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Thank you for your forthright comments. I always look forward to your read requests - keep them coming. Best of luck in your search for a new career as well. Proficiency in more than one language is something to be proud of and you will do well I am certain. Although, as a counselor you were also doing deeds that were certainly very helpful to others as well. So nice of you to post this. Very much appreciated.
Light,
Siddartha


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
pal
"So, the next time I send out a read request, you know why the request is being sent. I do not want to annoy you;"

Well, all have their reasons for being here and wanting others to peep in to their works. You have yours.

You are always welcome to sending out request, I would most willingly review them.

pal


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

304 Views
20 Reviews
Added on August 10, 2008

Author

alternative_be
alternative_be

Somewhere in the country ..., Belgium



About
Dear all, I'm a 46 year old woman living in Europe. My passions are: reading, writing, poetry, blogging, languages, nature, walking, making friends. Curious? Who am I? You can read it all in th.. more..

Writing