Hounds of Hell

Hounds of Hell

A Stage Play by jasper

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

THE HOUNDS OF HELL

__________________

 

A ONE ACT PLAY

 

By

 

Alvin S. Johnson

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Copyright © 2019                  607 Masons Creek Circle                by Alvin S. Johnson               Sandy Springs, GA 30350

                                 

Cast of Characters

 

 

CARRIE FRANKS: A woman in her 70’s who has lived in Logan, NC since childhood. Her husband, Charlie, died of a heart attack at age 45.

SHIRLEY FRANKS: A woman, Carrie’s daughter. Her son Bobby was brutally murdered.

DORCAS JENKINS: A woman, who is a friend of Carrie’s, also in her 70’s, who grew up in Logan but now lives in Elizabeth, New Jersey.

CELIA CONYERS: A neighbor of Carrie’s, in her 60’s who is also a fellow church member.

 

Setting

 

Logan, North Carolina, a small town outside of Wilmington, North Carolina.

 

Scene

 

Carrie’s kitchen, the morning after Bobby’s funeral.   Carrie sits at her table, a cup of coffee at hand.  

Flowers surround her while pie pans, plates covered with foil and other food offerings fill up every bit of available table space.

The past weekend Bobby, her grandson, had been brutally killed and no one knows exactly what happened. One of Carrie’s childhood friends, Dorcas, had come from New Jersey to be with her.

 

 

Rising

(Her friend, Dorcas enters the kitchen.)

CARRIE

Well, you’re up early. I hope I didn’t wake you.

DORCAS

No, you didn’t.  I just didn’t want to bother you so early. Your company was here so late last night, I thought you might still be sleeping, until I heard you moving around.

CARRIE

No, I’m an early riser. I need some time in the morning to focus for the day.

I hope you slept well. I didn’t get a chance yesterday to tell you how much I appreciate your being here. You’ve been a blessing and it’s been good to have someone to lean on.

DORCAS

Are you kidding me? You know I had to be here. You’re family. I thought everything went well yesterday, and it was great that all your friends turned out for you. You got enough food here to last you for the next six months.

CARRIE

Yes, the Women’s Auxiliary has been such a blessing to me, and they made sure everything was in place for the funeral. Ms. James did a beautiful job not only with the repast but also in putting the whole program together.

DORCAS

Yes, when that lady sang James Cleveland’s “God Is”, I don’t think there was a dry eye in the church.

CARRIE

That song has sustained me so many times.

DORCAS

 But I did notice Shirley showed little emotion. Do you think she’s in denial?


 

CARRIE

No, she was probably high. You notice she didn’t even show up at the repast. She couldn’t wait to get back to her comfort zone.

But Reverend Anderson was right on target with his eulogy. I had never even heard of Howard Thurman and his writing about the “hounds of hell.” But when Reverend Anderson explained those “hounds” of fear, hypocrisy and hatred and how they were impacting our community. It hit home with a lot of people.

And for some reason, I felt Reverend Anderson was personally moved by Bobby’s death. The message was not only moving but comforting. It touched my soul.

DORCAS

Yes, it certainly had an impact on me and was reassuring. I’m glad we have a few minutes together and I hope you can fill me in on what happened with Bobby.

CARRIE

Well, you know I’ve had Bobby since he was three years old and he would have been sixteen this month.

You know Charlie always wanted a boy and while he wasn’t physically here, he stayed in my head the entire time Bobby was growing up, telling me what and what not to do.

DORCAS

Did Shirley just give him up?

CARRIE

No, I think it was a tough decision for her. She and I did not always relate as like mother and daughter. She loved her Dad and it was as if she saw me as her competition for her father’s affection.

Even after Charlie’s death when she got pregnant, she was surprised that I supported her. But it wasn’t long before she rebelled and moved out of the house to live with some man.




DORCAS

The baby’s daddy?

CARRIE

No, it was some other man who I didn’t even know. I think Bobby’s father is in jail. But that didn’t last, and she just bounced from place to place.

Shirley would bring Bobby around often though most of the time she just wanted money, which I did give to her.

So, I really think she was relieved at turning Bobby over to my care. She was never much of a mother to Bobby but to her credit, I believe she wanted to get him away from the life she was living.

After Bobby moved in, she would show up from time to time. I never knew how she was supporting herself, but it was clear she was troubled.

Whenever I asked questions, she would cut me off and leave.

DORCAS

How did this impact Bobby?

CARRIE

Oh, he handled it like a real trooper. As he was growing up though, he found difficulty in getting along with the other kids. Even with Charlie’s spiritual presence, I had trouble providing some of the guidance he needed. 

DORCAS

Was he a happy kid?

 

CARRIE

Outwardly, he was about as happy as he could be. He was a great kid- always respected me and was a good student.

He would love to say, “I love you, Grandma.”  But at times, he would just keep to himself. He never asked about his father.

He worked hard at trying to do the right thing and still fit in with the other kids. One thing I always knew was that he was not going to cross the line and do anything he knew I would not approve of, even if it meant losing friends.

 

DORCAS

So how did he end up with the kids who killed him?

CARRIE

I’m not sure. These were some new kids he apparently met when he transferred to Dudley High School.

Last weekend Bobby rode with me to Walmarts where I wanted to pick up some paper towels. We often spent our weekends together running errands.

When we were leaving the store, Bobby saw a bunch of youngsters, who he apparently knew, and went over to talk to them. He returned to me and asked if he could ride with them to visit some of their other friends.

I asked him, “Who are these kids? Why don’t you invite them over to our house?”

He looked down at the ground and responded, “Grandma, please.”

I then told him ok but to be home by 9 pm.  He said he would and that was the last time I saw him alive.

DORCAS

Oh, my God! Did you know the youngsters? Did they ever say anything to you?

CARRIE

No, I didn’t know them, and they never spoke to me. I should have listened to my gut. Something just didn’t seem right about the kids and Bobby’s wanting to go with them.

As soon as I got home, I knew I should not have let him go.

Then when 9 pm came and Bobby wasn’t home, I knew something was wrong.

I called the police and they didn’t express much concern at all. I suppose they get these kinds of calls all the time. They told me to wait 24 hours and then call back.

DORCAS

Did you call Shirley?

CARRIE

I called her and at first, she wanted to know why I was calling her. She said Bobby was probably ok.

Then she told me, “I’ll call you back, I’m headed out to see if any of my friends might have seen him or heard anything.”

 (Two hours later, there was a loud knock at the door)

SHIRLEY

 “Open the door!”

CARRIE

(Carrie opens the door and sees two policemen and Shirley.)

SHIRLEY

Shirley was just gasping as if she couldn’t get the words out of her mouth, “Bobby! Bobby! Bobby!”

CARRIE

I said girl, calm down, and tell me what happened.

POLICEMAN

We responded to a call of shots being fired and found a body of a teenager in a vacant lot over on Walnut Street.  Your daughter showed up at the scene and was able to identify the body. We’re sorry, Maam”

CARRIE

Oh my God, where is he? Did you leave him there? Take me to him.

POLICEMAN

His body has been removed to the Coroner’s Office which is something we had to do. We’ll let you know when you can see him.

CARRIE

I just collapsed into my chair and couldn’t stop crying.

Shirley was behind my chair hugging me and crying. It had been a long time since Shirley had hugged me.

DORCAS

Did the police say anything about the boys he was with?

CARRIE

To tell you the truth, I don’t remember much about what was said. I was in a fog. But they did say they suspected his death was related to an initiation into a gang. Bobby knew this was a line he could not cross and they killed him.

The funeral brought back everything and I’m just emotionally exhausted.

DORCAS

Yes, I can see it in your face. Have you heard any more from the police?

CARRIE

I’ve heard twice from the detectives handling the case. They just told me that they just don’t have any solid leads at this point. Everyone on the street is just close mouthed.

DORCAS

That’s what happens. You know somebody knows something, but they have this weird notion that “snitching” is worse than the crime itself, That’s crazy.

CARRIE

In a way, I can understand what the kids are up against them. It’s all about survival. They feel no one cares about them and end up living in total hopelessness. These are the “hounds” Pastor Anderson was talking about.

But them killing my Bobby makes no sense. They are so lost.

I’m just so angry about the stupidity of it all and how we just accept it.

 

DORCAS

What I don’t understand is why you stay here? You can’t expect that it’s going to get any better.

 

CARRIE

Because my roots are here. My church is here. I must stay to do whatever I can to change things. I was here for my grandson and now I must be here for my daughter. I just can’t run away. There is work to be done.

DORCAS

Aren’t you afraid?

CARRIE

Not really. What can they do to me?  I’m 73 years old. I’m fortunate enough to have a faith that sustains me.I know where my strength comes from.

DORCAS

You mentioned your church, but are they bringing attention to what is going on? Are they doing anything to help the kids?

CARRIE

That’s a real issue. They provide a service for the youngsters who are dying but that’s about it. Most of the preachers don’t even live in the community.

Their main concern is getting more members and tithing.

We do have a small core of people, again who are trying to have an impact.

I’m going to keep praying for people like you to come back home.

DORCAS

Funny you should say that; I really have been thinking about moving back.




CARRIE

I’m convinced God has been speaking to a lot of people like you and that we’re going to witness a rebirth in this community.

(There is a knock at the door and Carrie goes to answer it)

CARRIE

Celia, come on in. I’m so glad to see you.

I don’t think you ever met my friend Dorcas.

CELIA

No, I never met her, but I feel like I know her since you talk so much about her.  Carrie seems to think we’re very much alike. So glad to meet you Dorcas.

DORCAS

So glad to meet you too.

CELIA

I just stopped by to see if there is anything, I can do for you.

CARRIE

Dorcas, you should know Celia is the backbone of the church, Pastor Anderson don’t make a move without checking with her first.

CELIA

Carrie, you ought to stop. You know, in the end Pastor Anderson gets them folk to do whatever he wants them to do.

CARRIE

That’s the truth, though today, he seemed to be listening to his own message with that eulogy.

CELIA

Did you notice that too? Maybe the Holy Spirit is getting through to him. Lord knows I’ve tried to get him to react to the suffering that is going on in our community.


CARRIE

If he lived in the community, he’d only have to walk around and see what is in people’s eyes. It’s not what he sees on Sunday morning.

CELIA

You’re right about that. And then maybe he wouldn’t focus on just adding numbers in the church and be more concerned about the needs of the people.

I do plan on meeting with him this week and will see if what we sensed was real or not.

Great meeting you, Dorcas, but I’ve got to get out of here. Carrie, call me if you need me. I hope Carrie will keep you posted on what’s going on.

DORCAS

I’ll make sure she does. You’ve got my attention.

(Celia departs)

(About twenty moments later there is a loud banging at the door)

CARRIE

Who is it?

SHIRLEY

It’s me. Open the door!

CARRIE

I told you about banging on the door like that. You act like someone is chasing you.

SHIRLEY

Nobody’s chasing me. I just wanted to make sure you heard me. You know you can’t hear.

Hi, Miss Dorcas, I didn’t know you were still here. I’m so glad you were able to come to my Bobby’s funeral.



DORCAS

Well, you know I was going to be here for your Mom. How are you doing?

SHIRLEY

Well I’m sure my mother has more than answered that question for you. How am I doing, Momma?

(CARRIE grimaces as she notices Shirley’s soiled clothes and the odor of alcohol. Shirley opens the refrigerator)

CARRIE

Girl wash your hands. You know better than to go in my refrigerator without washing your hands.

SHIRLEY

You got any sodas?

CARRIE

You know I don’t drink any sodas. Drink some water. You look dehydrated anyway.

Those clothes you have on are filthy. You know you have clothes upstairs. Why don’t you take a shower and change?

Are you hungry? Do you want me to fix you something?

SHIRLEY

Are you ashamed of me?

 

DORCAS

Baby, I think your Momma’s just concerned about you. You need to listen to her.

SHIRLEY

Listen to her! Excuse me, Miss Dorcas, but you don’t know nothing about what goes on around here. This is what I get from her every time I come over here. She just thinks I’m on drugs.


DORCAS

Well, are you?

SHIRLEY

Well, I’ve had my problems in the past but I’m doing fine now

CARRIE

Well, it looks to me that you’re high as a kite right now.

SHIRLEY

I’m just upset dealing with losing Bobby.

CARRIE

Well hanging out with that crowd you’re with ain’t going to help.

 

SHIRLEY

I’m doing just fine.

CARRIE

Well, you’re too old to be doing the things you are doing. When are you going to make up your mind to get your life together and leave those drugs alone?

SHIRLEY

Please spare me your sermons again. I’m doing just fine. You just sit up here in your cocoon and you don’t have a clue as to what life is really like out here on these streets. What do you care? And for your information, Miss Lady, I’m going into a rehab program next week.

 

 

CARRIE

You don’t have to be on the streets. If you got yourself together, you could be right here.


SHIRLEY

In the cocoon with you? Thanks, but no thanks!

CARRIE

I’ve got to tell you, I had high hopes losing Bobby would be a wakeup call for you.

SHIRLEY

Well, I just knew you were going to lay this guilt trip on me about Bobby. He was my son and I don’t need you to keep reminding me about what happened. It wasn’t my fault!

He’s dead and there’s nothing I can do about it!

CARRIE

No, that’s not what I meant.

SHIRLEY

Bullshit, I’m out of here. I don’t even know why I came by here in the first place. It’s always the same old s**t every time I come here. I wish my Daddy was still alive.

 

(Shirley bolts for the door and is gone before CARRIE could say anything. She watches from the door as Shirley walks down the street.)

DORCAS

I’m so sorry, Carrie. She’s just so confused right now and can’t think straight.

 

CARRIE

It’s ok. I understand her pain and what she must be going through, but I refuse to buy into her pity party. She’s no longer a child and is going to have to figure out that her Daddy is not here to take care of her. All I can do is be here when she needs me.

DORCAS

Do you think she recognizes that she needs help?

CARRIE

No, I don’t. but that’s out of my hands. You heard how she says she doesn’t want to hear anything from me. But when God speaks to her, I just pray she’ll be ready to listen.

DORCAS

Does she have any friends you can talk to?

CARRIE

No. She and most of her so-called friends think just like her.

I love my daughter and I pray daily that God will give her the courage to overcome the life she is living.

DORCAS

Well you know I’m going to be praying with you and I promise we’re going to be thicker than thieves from now on.

 

(The next morning Dorcas returns to New Jersey. Two days later Dorcas calls Carrie to check on her.)

DORCAS

Carrie, I want you to know I’ve put my house on the market and I’ve talked to a real estate agent in Logan. I’m coming home! Be sure and let Celia know.

CARRIE

I’m so glad to hear that. I need you now more than ever.

The police just left here. They found Shirley’s body over on Grace Street. She apparently died from an overdose.

I just don’t know what I’m going to do now. I’ve run out of tears and am just worn out.

(A long pause)

Dorcas, are you still there?

DORCAS

I’m still here and I can’t tell you how sorry I am. I’m just wished I had stayed there just a while longer. This world is just totally out of control.

I’ll be there as soon as I can make plans. Don’t worry you, Celia and I are going to get through this together.

CARRIE

No, not out of control. There is now and always has been order.

I have no doubt that God is going to provide an opportunity to show this community that fear hypocrisy and hatred have no power. There is only one power.

 

 

© 2019 jasper


My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I think the theme is horribly relevant ..a real blight on the land .. we loose the youth to drugs and decaying moral fiber every day ... younger and younger ... the language of your characters is natural ..with the exception of the word "repast" ... which i have never heard spoken .. ;) and minor thing for sure :) one suggestion would be to show us a few more details .. colors of dresses .. or pants etc. .. smells in the kitchen that reflect Carrie's background .. are they plastic covered chairs ... stuff like that ... not needed necessarily .. just a suggestion :) nice to meet you jasper ... a big welcome to the Cafe' ... hope to see you around a bit!
E.
I admire the work you must have put in to this one act play ... no editing stumbles for me in reading ... well done ... not easy to write lengthy works ... I felt drawn in by the story .. empathetic to the loses Carrie has undergone ... and the human compassion of her friends is real ... the rebellion of her daughter is graphic ... all the while in reading I hope she will turn her life around .. and explosive closing in her overdose ... just days after the loss of Bobby :(((((( the minister and the numbers and tithing is way too common place in our "churches" ... very relatable! but i see the three women rallying .. and hope is in the future ... I read your about me and as an old man me self have to say to you bravo for picking up the pen ... tho late in your life ... very surprised by this first post ... its very well done ... truly ... nice job! I

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I think the theme is horribly relevant ..a real blight on the land .. we loose the youth to drugs and decaying moral fiber every day ... younger and younger ... the language of your characters is natural ..with the exception of the word "repast" ... which i have never heard spoken .. ;) and minor thing for sure :) one suggestion would be to show us a few more details .. colors of dresses .. or pants etc. .. smells in the kitchen that reflect Carrie's background .. are they plastic covered chairs ... stuff like that ... not needed necessarily .. just a suggestion :) nice to meet you jasper ... a big welcome to the Cafe' ... hope to see you around a bit!
E.
I admire the work you must have put in to this one act play ... no editing stumbles for me in reading ... well done ... not easy to write lengthy works ... I felt drawn in by the story .. empathetic to the loses Carrie has undergone ... and the human compassion of her friends is real ... the rebellion of her daughter is graphic ... all the while in reading I hope she will turn her life around .. and explosive closing in her overdose ... just days after the loss of Bobby :(((((( the minister and the numbers and tithing is way too common place in our "churches" ... very relatable! but i see the three women rallying .. and hope is in the future ... I read your about me and as an old man me self have to say to you bravo for picking up the pen ... tho late in your life ... very surprised by this first post ... its very well done ... truly ... nice job! I

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

44 Views
1 Review
Added on October 25, 2019
Last Updated on October 25, 2019

Author

jasper
jasper

GA



About
Senior Citizen starting to write more..

Writing
Untitled Untitled

A Poem by jasper