Hit and Run

Hit and Run

A Story by cookies213
"

Drunk driving at night does not end well. A short story

"

My hands grasped the steering wheel; time stood still. A giant lump formed in my throat, all I could feel was my heart thumping in my chest and the brisk sweat beads trickling down my wounded forehead. Breathing was difficult, I could only sit in the drivers seat striving to understand what had just happened. Did I kill him? Does he have a family who are waiting for him at home? A wife who loves him? I deeply despaired over my foolish decision to drive while under the influence. It was only a few beers, who knew they would do this much damage. Warm tears began to percolate down my crimson cheeks. After a while of rotting in my seat staring paralysed into the distance, I gathered the confidence to get out of my car. I limped over to him piercingly feeling the torture of my many small wounds.


He was laying inanimate on the concrete, I didn't see his face, I couldn't bare the thought of seeing his face. All I could see was his feet, he was missing a boot. The darkness and emptiness of the road enveloped me, the only light source being my broken headlights. Gradually I moved my vigorously shaking hand towards his wrist to check his pulse, nothing. He was dead. I killed him. This man would never again see his family or his friends, would never again take a midnight walk; he was gone. And it was all my fault. I covered his face with my jacket, I could not risk seeing it, I knew it would afflict the rest of my days. I couldn't allow that. 


No-one could hear of this, I would spend my life in prison for murder, and driving under the influence; this would crush my dad. He had already faced the loss of my mother he couldn't lose me too. I had already broken his heart too many times, another would kill him.


I desperately attempted to move his body, dragging it through the concrete, every minute checking for any cars. Having to stop for breath every 30 seconds. I sobbed, as I pulled the man that I killed towards the cliff; strongly thrusting him over. Squeezing my eyes shut as he fell to the water. I wailed. He hit the icy shards, he would never see the light of day again, never again would he see the light of day…

 

I drove back home, a cold thrill charging through my spine, five minutes down the cliffside, from where I threw the man over, I noticed a car with the trunk wide open, a white smoke coming from it. No-one was inside the car. I had a gut wrenching feeling, no wonder this guy was alone walking long the cliffside after midnight. My guess was that his car had broken down. The only thing I could do was cry the whole way home. I could go home, to my friends, he couldn’t…


I awoke in sleety sweats, the events of last week like a constant torment, endlessly looping in my head. I looked down to my pillow to see the dark pool of my own sweat. My head felt as though it would explode, I brushed my hair away from my face, It was tight from the dried drool from the night. I sighed, trying to ignore the palpitations in my chest. He was in my dreams every night, even if I didn't see him, I knew he was there. He haunted me, a constant reminder of what I had done.  Hit him with my car, pushed him into the sea as I watched the tide take him away. Hiding all evidence of my crimes. 


Every night I prayed I would be given the strength to endure it and keep hidden, my biggest and most deplorable mistake. I crawled out of bed, untangling myself from my clammy sheets. I yearned for a coffee, tiredness still embedded in my eyes. The sudden sound of my phone vibrating on my nightstand stopped me in my tracks. 


“Good morning!” I said trying hard to fake a cheerful tone.


“Emily listen to me.”


The worry and grief in my friends voice declared to me there was something wrong.


“Is everything alright lil?” My heart began to race.


“Sweety I'm so sorry” I could hear she was beginning to cry.


“Lil whats happened?” My head was spinning.


“Your dad…He was found washed up on some beach,” Now she was sobbing “ Your dad is dead Emily, and the police are saying it wasn't an accident, someone put him there”


My heart dropped to my stomach, I felt a cold flash up my spine. Everything began to spin. This couldn't be right, I couldn't have done this.


“Its on right now Emily, but I understand if you don't wanna see. I'm so sorry.”


I dropped the phone and ran to turn on the TV I fumbled for the correct button on the remote. The lady was reporting from Hengleside beach, where they had found him. Then I saw it, it was him they had a cloth over his body, revealing only his feet. He was missing a boot. The Police had identified the person, it was him. I was frozen, my whole body ached. My brain could not come to terms with what had happened. I killed my dad.


I had made many mistakes in the part that had broken his heart, this one had stopped it.





© 2016 cookies213


Author's Note

cookies213
What do you think. Sorry about any terrible grammar. Please give feedback

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wow, the revelation at the end was unexpected and I love that. I can't imagine what it's like for someone to live with themselves after something like this, but you capture the immense sadness and pain well. Nicely written and there's only a few grammatical errors I noticed.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.



Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Reviews

What is with the parricide? First you kill your mom in the first story, now you've killed your dad, I'm a little worried about your real parents. Lol. Kidding. It was good, I'm a stickler for twist ending and I can't really say there was anything wrong with grammar. Good job.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

cookies213

7 Years Ago

My real parents were also a bit disturbed by the stories. I think i am better at sticking to the hor.. read more
Caustic_Dystopia

7 Years Ago

A lot of my poetry is in the dark genre because I find it easier to write. You're good at horror, pl.. read more
cookies213

7 Years Ago

Thank you for your advice, maybe you could give some ideas
Wow, the revelation at the end was unexpected and I love that. I can't imagine what it's like for someone to live with themselves after something like this, but you capture the immense sadness and pain well. Nicely written and there's only a few grammatical errors I noticed.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

138 Views
2 Reviews
Added on November 19, 2016
Last Updated on November 20, 2016

Author

cookies213
cookies213

United Kingdom



About
Im only in secondary school, i just like writing as a hobby more..

Writing