An Essay: A Summarization

An Essay: A Summarization

A Story by Aidan Singletary

In the article “Animating Spirit: I Believe in God, Santa Claus, and an Elf on The Shelf” Norm Grondin lays out how examining the belief in consuetudes, such as the ones listed in his title, can assist us in answering the great hurdles of faith we may encounter. He also claims that one reason this examination can have this effect is that it helps us to better comprehend what it means to physically embody a spiritual entity, just as Christians are called to embody Christ.


Grondin begins by introducing the reader to the idea and mechanics of an Elf on the Shelf. A few of his points are as follows: They are Santa’s spies; they can not be touched by children; they are moved secretly by parents in the night and are discovered in a new location each day by the children. Most importantly, through these mechanics, an Elf on the Shelf is fundamentally a game played between parents and their children. Grondin then explains that by looking closer at the “bringing to life” of an Elf on the Shelf or Santa Claus can help us better comprehend what it means to physically embody a spiritual entity. 


The author then argues that while identity is complex and difficult to specify it can be described as the combination of the separate parts we play in our lives and also the duties we fulfill. He then claims that embodying an Elf on the Shelf is playing a part in the same formula: when one is “giving body” to an Elf on the Shelf, he is not himself an Elf but at the same time he is behaving in his normal way. He is acting in a way that would be unacceptable and disturbing for a normal adult human under any other circumstances, but is in fact acting as an Elf might; therefore, for those moments he is ”embodying” an Elf on the Shelf. Grondin believes that the person we become as a consequence of embodying the role is different from role to role. He continues to explain that when one embodies a role, even as his body is the acting agent, it is not always clear that it is he who is doing the acting. It seems to Grondin as if an Elf on the Shelf may actually be real. 


Grondin explains that if we remain in the carnal  opinion that the one “bringing life” to an Elf on the Shelf is merely that and nothing more, it makes understanding the multiple facets of our faith more difficult. 


Grondin argues that when we take on a part or role in life, we are taken by that part away from who we were before we assumed it and ultimately brought closer to “becoming” the said part. He writes that this capacity we have to conform to roles shows us an innate longing and capacity to change into people who are greater than before they underwent said change. Grondin then writes that these parts are pieces of who he is as long as he gives body to them and takes action on them in the world. 


Grondin states that love is giving up something for someone else. Love as sacrifice is shown in his roles as leader, spouse, and father, just as it is in “giving life” to an Elf on the Shelf. It is also supremely shown in his membership in the Church. 


Grondin argues that as Christ followers, we are commanded to orient our lives to the One True King, to see Jesus as the highest good and strive to be like Him.


He then points out that “giving life” to an Elf on the Shelf isn’t exactly difficult; rather, he writes, it is simple and easy. He then compares the ease of an Elf on the Shelf with the all-encompassing call of Christ to give all of ourselves up for His glory and service. 


Grondin offers consolation to those who may be struggling in the effort of following Christ: even the Saints fall short, but for failure is why we have the saints and the statutes which lead us away from distraction and laziness. He continues to say that the traditions of the church also help us in our effort to follow Christ.


Grondin lays out a question that could be raised in opposition to his claim about embodying spiritual beings. If the Elf on the Shelf and Santa Claus are creations of our imagination, could not God Himself also be figments of our collective imagination? He begins to answer this question by writing that it is difficult to distinguish between our own imagination or wishes and what is concretely true. The spiritual discrimination of the Church helps us distinguish between what is true only within our own minds and what is true everywhere, all the time. He then posits that all “higher powers'' exist, but the concern lies in which we worship. He claims that this question is a matter of faith versus works salvation. He concludes that the true answer to this debate is yes to both faith and works. He then states that to fulfill our obligation to Christ, we still have to go out into the wasteland just as Abraham did, because even the inferior gods can guide us along the way to the One True God. 


He concludes his article by challenging the Christian reader to examine his life to see where it is oriented and toward what entities he is sacrificing his resources and life. Finally, he challenges the reader to give his all to serving God. 

© 2024 Aidan Singletary


Author's Note

Aidan Singletary
1-2024

Link to the original article:
https://thesymbolicworld.com/content/animating-spirit-i-believe-in-god-santa-claus-and-an-elf-on-the-shelf#citations

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

30 Views
Added on January 29, 2024
Last Updated on January 29, 2024