My Eyes Tell My Age

My Eyes Tell My Age

A Poem by Amber S. Hays

Found my childhood, all bottled up into a plastic yellow flashlight.
Faded black marker determines the possession between my sister and I.
The nights hiding beneath the sheets conjuring stories…
The nights spent scared and alone in the dark; it all sits beneath the screw holding what gives the yellow plastic life.
Not batteries, which are now covered with acid and crusted into place.  No telling how long it’s sat and withered away in the darkness, under the weight of growing up.

Found my childhood, seashells all glued together to form a tiny disproportional turtle with crisp, black beads for eyes.
On the bottom it reads, 1996. My grandfather’s hand is extraordinarily large as it sits in his palm.
I smell the salt from the ocean that filled my nose every year as I grew.
The turtle sits in my hand now. His hand is no more.

Found my childhood, but I can’t manage to steer clear of its path.
You see, I’ve been masked by the darkness I hold from the sheer panic of the question,
“What comes next?”

I found my childhood, but it’s the moments I can’t hide from.

I found my childhood, but I’m no longer a child.
My eyes tell my age.

© 2012 Amber S. Hays


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wow, that was powerful, particularly to the sentimental. I like how vividly you were able to relate your own experiences through the individual items. I can definitely understand that constant fear of what comes next; I'd say it's an overriding and pervasive (if not intrusive) part of my life as well. You summed up the feelings of a lot of people, I'd wager, and it always helps a piece to be able to be related to. Excellent.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Amber,you have nicely brought my childhood back by your golden work.
It is really important to go back to childhood again and again while growing up.
Your discovery of childhood and the way how your eyes tell age are new message for me.
Thanks for sharing great thoughts.


Posted 10 Years Ago


I found my childhood,
but it's the moments I can't hide from.
A nice write.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Wow, that was powerful, particularly to the sentimental. I like how vividly you were able to relate your own experiences through the individual items. I can definitely understand that constant fear of what comes next; I'd say it's an overriding and pervasive (if not intrusive) part of my life as well. You summed up the feelings of a lot of people, I'd wager, and it always helps a piece to be able to be related to. Excellent.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A very enjoyable read. It took me back (how many years I won't disclose) to when my sister and I used to build makeshift tents and stay up all night just having fun. I think I shall stop writing and go call her now...

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I think everyone can relate to this poem. At least I know that I can. Everything can carry a memory from a flashlight to a photo, a drawing, a piece of music, or a blanket. I have this pocketwatch that doesn't work anymore. It will never be useful to anyone because it has lost its ability to tell time. But to me it holds much more than time. It makes me think of my dad and when he gave it to me and all the memories I had carrying around that pocketwatch.

I really like this poem. :) And I love the title of it which was what drew me over to read it. :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

395 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on March 27, 2012
Last Updated on March 27, 2012
Tags: childhood, death, anxiety

Author

Amber S. Hays
Amber S. Hays

GA



About
My name is Amber. I am 21 years old and I'm currently in school majoring in literature and writing I love writing. Anything and everything. I like to be truthful as well as straight forward. Feedbac.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Winter's Chill Winter's Chill

A Chapter by Renée