fires along the tree line

fires along the tree line

A Poem by anais.vionet
"

prose poem on the corona virus

"
American citizens in “bread-lines” to get little boxes of food. How desperate do you have to be to join that line? The sad, generous, little boxes of nutrition. We are all human, we all need our next breath and our children’s next meal. We all need shelter.

It’s a carnival of pleasure to mock human need. Tell me my mistake.

Watch our President’s Daily Briefing. He doesn’t mention bread-lines. He chooses not to. How counterfeit is his competence. No “fire side chat”, no promise of hope. How mean is this fat, grubby, “rich” man who s***s on golden toilet seats and ignores starving Americans’ desperation.

The tyrant’s plea, as the collapse begins, is “I’m not responsible”. Tell me my mistake.

We have lost our immeasurable strength. We are become callous. We are robbed, of our better, more generous selves by narrow focus, by zero sum greed. Our collapse will be just, like verse set down in primitive times when the margin of error was clear and understood.

It’s a calm discrimination to choose carelessness. Tell me my mistake.

This unfolding viral nightmare is but one of the fires along the tree line. The encroaching environmental disaster, the loss of our political system’s integrity, the militarization of police racism. 

Maybe China will do better - if I’m reading my score card correctly, it looks like they’re up next as the world’s great superpower.

© 2020 anais.vionet


Author's Note

anais.vionet
all comments welcome

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

i agree it sounds more of a rant, but nicely expressed

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It feels less of a poem and more of a rant post.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

67 Views
2 Reviews
Added on June 16, 2020
Last Updated on June 16, 2020
Tags: in the news, society, teens, politics, attitudes, corona virus, coronavirus

Author

anais.vionet
anais.vionet

GA



About
high school student more..

Writing