A walk in the rain.

A walk in the rain.

A Story by Anam Suhail
"

Whitney is quite a simple girl living a not so simple day. Everything's going quite fine but when she finds a man. Everything changed. For better or worse? Read on to find out!

"

A sudden rush seemed to surround Wellington Street that Friday evening as it poured down heavily on everyone present there at the moment. The place was seething with people, all of us running around in the hope to arrive at our homes instantaneously and in this hastiness, I first saw his face.

As he put a hand over his head trying to cover himself from the rain drops that had already touched his masculine face. It felt like sudden magnetism had overcome me and I was being pulled towards his direction.

My feet started walking towards him as fast as they could to catch a glimpse of what he really looks like and it seemed like he kept running away. I darted away in his direction to catch up with the man.

I kept following him and when we stopped, I realized we were between a narrow path created by two buildings, standing tall side by side in the way every strong couple does.

I didn't know what I wanted to do when I finally caught him but I knew I wanted to look at him. As I walked up to him to introduce myself, I noticed something quite out of the ordinary.

His coat was missing an arm. Immediately, my attention got diverted and I asked him "Why is your coat missing an arm, sir? " and he looked at me estranged. It almost seemed as if he didn't have contact with a human for years.

"I fell down and who are you? " he said abruptly. It shouldn't be surprising when you're chasing someone down the street and they ask you who you are! However, I felt strange.
Mysteriously, it felt like I have known this man for years together although we never had any prior contact.

"I'm Whitney, pleased to meet you, sir. What's your name? Quite a rainy day, isn't it? " I said.
Many who knew me would find this strange because I wasn't usually the type of girl to chirp up a conversation and definitely not with a stranger! But there was something about him that pushed me towards wanting to know more about who he is.

"I'm Jonathan and yes, it is raining very heavily, I need to go home and you should too! " he said.
My brain told me to leave ASAP but what was it that was keeping me from going away? I felt frustrated at that moment and just stood there.

"Hello? Are you leaving? Alright, I've gotta go, catch ya later! " he said and off he went while I still stood there wondering why the devil didn't I move or why I kept following him.

As I kept wondering and looked up to see if he was still around, he was nowhere to be seen as he truly did vamoose out of the place.

He dropped out of sight like the sun behind the clouds above me and the unforeseen weather started disturbing everything around with its impulsive droplets of rain descending from the sky.

Luckily, I had my car parked in the street and ran quickly to it, adjusting my focus to reach home.

When I finally reached my dwelling, an air of ease surrounded me and I felt safe.
It was 11:20 PM but there was no one to ask me where I've been because I lived alone.

As I turned on my laptop, my phone blew up.

It was a call from an unknown number and it felt strange coming at this time.
"Who is calling me? " I wondered.

I decided to take the call since it felt like a strange day anyway so my mind convinced me there is nothing crazier than me chasing an unknown man down the street!

" Hello? " I said. Silence. Not a word from the other side. Then, slowly I heard a screeching noise which kept getting louder. So loud I quickly pushed the phone away in a disgusted fashion.

As soon as I did that, the lights went out.

That made me suddenly remember that my friend who came over the other day took the only torch I had left in the house for emergencies. I didn't have anything that could help me see clearly at the very moment except for a slight burst of the street lamp lights breaking through my blinds.

Feeling terrified, I didn't make a sound and deeply clenched my nails into a pillow cushion on my sofa.

I heard droplets and then suddenly, the sound of my main door opening.
Someone was definitely walking inside my house.
I remembered locking the door but how did this person make it in?

A figure slowly walked up to me and silently, positioned itself next to me on the couch.

My heart started beating faster and blood started rushing through my veins as I sunk into a deep feeling of fear.

A thousand thoughts were racing through my mind. A part of me wanted to ask this person who the hell they were and the other part told me to just pinch myself and wake up from a nightmare that would end as soon as I did that.

Suddenly, I felt something touching my arm and going all the way down to my wrist and before I could comprehend what was going on, I found myself swung in the air and thrown to the other side of the room like someone would toss a piece of paper into a trash can!

That very moment, all I knew was I had to run for my life and because of the blow, I couldn't walk properly. I tried my best to run towards the main door of my house, limping.

This was definitely the most discreet I've ever been. The figure rose up and I could figure 'it' was looking my way and that made me move faster and to my luck, I made it! I was finally out of my house and started moving towards my car quickly. I noticed it was still raining heavily.

Suddenly, a situation of bewilderment took place. I felt like something was tugging at my shirt.
"Nooooooooooo! Go away, you monster. SOMEBODY HELP MEE! " I cried for help.
The numbness I felt previously had disappeared and I could finally speak again.

As I looked closer, the figure wore a hat. He looked like a man of 6 ft 5 inches and he didn't let go of me no matter how hard I tried to pull away. His hands were completely black and he grabbed my wrist, his grip growing tighter as the waking minute passed by.

To my sheer advantage, I managed to grab a steel rod close enough for me to get hold of. At that moment, it felt like a godsend. Without a thought, I immediately banged the head of what looked like a man and fled to my car.

I was completely dumbfounded when I realized that my car had disappeared!

"That's it. This is the end of you, Whitney! " I said to myself in disgust but the so called 'man' behind me was unforgiving. He started to quickly chase me and as he did, I saw him taking out something that looked like a giant mace and he ran towards me.

As the rain made it even more difficult to see clearly, I ran for my life as fast as I could with my limping leg. My neighbor usually kept her trash can outside her house and I threw it in the way of the 'man' to slow down his speed.

At that very moment, I saw an empty house with no one inside and I rushed towards its open door to seek shelter from the vicious beast of a man chasing me, the voice of my feet making powerful splashing sounds.

I closed the door of the house quickly and ran upstairs.
To my delight, the light of the room closest to me was on.
Hurriedly, I swiftly placed myself into the room and closed the door behind me.

"You again? Why are you chasing me? " said Jonathan.

"What? What are you doing here? " I said with excessive astonishment.

"Me? Why, this is my house! How did you get in and why are your clothes all torn?" he said.

"You've got to save me. There's a monster behind me who wants to kill me! Just let me stay the night please, I beg you." I said crying.

"What are you saying? Are you okay? Oh okay, uhm alright, I guess err you could uhm stay the night."

"Oh, thank you! Thank you so much! I'll always remember this. I don't know where the monster is but I'll stay here till I feel safe" I said more to myself than to him.

"You can stay here for as long as you like. Calm down and let me go check." he said.

"Nooo! Please just stay here and let it be". I said.

He told me it was important to see what was going on and proceeded towards the door and went out to see what was going on. I decided to glance from a distance, quivering.

As he raced downstairs, I saw him moving out of the house. My terrified body couldn't dare make a sound now that no one was around me and I started trembling with fear all over again.

Jonathan came back after a few minutes and ran upstairs. "There is no one outside. The coast is clear. Your monster decided to let is slide, eh?" he said jokingly.

"This is no time to joke! I'm serious. I was chased by a man with a mace and I was almost killed. There is no way in the bloody world a person like me would make up a story like this! " I exclaimed with a sudden burst of anger.

"Calm down. How'd you find my house? " he said in too calm a tone for a man who had to handle a screaming and terrified woman.

"I saw it was empty. Wait, how do you live on the same street as I do? How did we never run into each other before? Why haven't I ever seen you at the society club? " I asked like a police officer set up for interrogation.

'I don't know. I've never seen you either." he said simply.

Now that my eyes kept looking at him, I noticed his face was actually a very unusually attractive one. When you'd decide to stare, you would get lost trying to figure out why you're so drawn towards understanding his face.

Weirdly, he started hiding his face in an attempt to stop me from analyzing and he told me to look the other way.

"Why? What's wrong with looking at you?' I said.

"Just look the other way, Whitney. I'll tell you why in a bit". he said.

I looked away and when I didn't hear any noise for more than a minute, I turned and that's when I found out, he's vanished!

I pushed the door open with a bang and ran downstairs to search for him.

Jonathan was nowhere to be found and I decided to go look for him on the street.

Suddenly, I heard a THUD!

"Come here, Whitney. It's safe." Jonathan said.

"There you are! Let's go inside, please? I'm too scared." I said.

He grabbed me by the arm and took me to the side of the street and said "It's okay. There's no one here" and I looked at him and noticed something strange. His skin was darker.

"Whitney, what are you doing outside? " said Jonathan, standing to my left.

"Jona- you? Oh my god! " I screamed.

The 'man' in front of me opened his wide mouth which had jaws like those of a piranha and as I attempted to flee from the place, he caught me by my leg and didn't let me go.

"Save me! Somebody help!" I yelled at the top of my voice.

That's when Jonathan picked up the same steel rod I had accidentally dropped while running into his house and started banging the monster with it.

The monster got into a sudden fit of rage and twisted Jonathan by his arm and began eating him. I was petrified and that's when I saw his mace dangling from his coat pockets.

Quickly, I snatched the mace and when I was about to hit him with it, I suddenly found myself stroked by his feet which brought me into a sudden state of unconsciousness and my head felt heavy. My eyes closed as I fell to the ground.

I woke up the next day, lying on the same street with no recollection of what had happened.

"How did I get here? " I asked myself.

That's when a lady who looked like she was in her 60's came up to me and said "Oh, you poor thing! Come inside and I'll tell you what happened yesterday."

"You know why I'm here? " I asked her.

"Yes, I do. Now, come along with me and we'll find you a place to relax," she said.

I agreed and walked along.

She took me to a window in her house and stated "This is where I saw it all happen, dear" as she went on to tell me everything that happened yesterday.

"What? I don't believe you! If you saw all of this happen, why didn't you call for help? You're bluffing, aren't you? " I questioned her.

"Oh, honey. Have you not understood yet? Silly girl! " she said with a wicked smile on her face.

I saw her jaws open.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX THE END XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX














© 2017 Anam Suhail


Author's Note

Anam Suhail
I would love to know what you think about my story.

What's your favorite part?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

96 Views
Added on April 23, 2017
Last Updated on April 23, 2017
Tags: Thriller, Sudden events, Rain

Author