The evolution of wooden furniture

The evolution of wooden furniture

A Story by andersonnrobin
"

Getting to know the evolution of the wooden furniture will help you learn the human nature better and its understandings about appealing and attractive interior design.

"

Most people feel comfortable in wooden furniture. Wooden pieces of furniture are one of the earliest inventions, made to provide a welcoming and attractive atmosphere, everywhere used.



One of the oldest wooden furniture inventions are the wooden chairs. They have passed through a long development. In ancient Egypt the wood carved chairs indicated status. Pharaohs used to sit on thrones with carved cedars. Romans had also used carved chairs. They used to have open U-shape chairs with place to put their hands, but no place to rest their back upon. The most complex design of chairs with a lot of ornaments and details date from the 18th and 19th century. American, French, English and German craftsmen created very exquisite and complicated designs of wooden furniture, lacquered with a couple of layers for protection.



Wooden chests in China were used for keeping valuable silk fabrics and clothes from insects. They were cedar-lined, enamelled and protected with lacquer. In Medieval Europe the wooden chests were waterproofed, sealed with a protective layer. They were used to store important documents, maps and papers from storms and hurricanes. Chests' purpose through the years haven't changed, unlike their name. They had been and are still used for keeping valuable possessions. In the past their name had changed to wardrobe, armoire, hope chest, chest-of-drawers and others.



In the past beds were just piles of animal furs and leather or straw, covered with a cloth or blanket. However Mesopotamian and Egyptian aristocrats used to sleep on bed with wooden frames. The structure of the wooden bed haven't changed till the beginning of the Renaissance, local splendid cleaners say. The beds in the past had been quite shorter than today's beds. The reason for this is the fact that people used to sleep sitting up and the increased use of mattresses. In the 19th century a company in America started selling beds, which can be disassembled and reassembled again. This allowed the company to transport their goods to different part of the country.



Wooden tables are almost as old as the wooden chairs. Persian emperors and Rajahs used tables to play their Shataranj games, also famous as chess games. Greek and Roman feast were done on exquisitely carved tables with many ornaments. King Arthur used a round table so that all his knights feel equal and be seen well when they gather on the it. Shaker style tables are one of the most successful, practical and used tables.



Writing desks are used mostly by educated and respected gentlemen in the years of the Enlightenment. The desk in the past had been perceived as a possession of the intelligent and educated people. The President of the United States are frequently photographed standing behind an impressive wooden desk, also famous as the “Resolute Desk”. The Resolute Desk had been a present from Queen Victoria to Rutherford Hayes and represents the special connection between the United States and Great Britain.



The evolution of the wooden furniture shows that most of pieces of wooden furniture had been used to store precious items or demonstrate social status and wealth. Although nowadays wooden furniture are commonly used, in the past they had been a luxury only rich people could afford. The history of wooden furniture show that some kinds of wood are used for kings and emperors, which show that they are valuable and pricey. In the present days the wooden furniture can be seen everywhere in our homes and workplaces. They continue to be preferred in our interior design because of their quality and nice appearance.

© 2014 andersonnrobin


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1305 Views
Added on November 17, 2014
Last Updated on November 17, 2014
Tags: wooden furniture, evolution, history

Author

andersonnrobin
andersonnrobin

London, United Kingdom