The Legend of the Crying Dragon

The Legend of the Crying Dragon

A Story by Matsu_Glare13
"

Dragons, defined as gods in the form of chaotic beasts who lavished for human flesh. But for them, being born as one is the most painful curse that have ever existed. A Dragon must never fall in love with a human and he must never develop a human heart.

"

THE LEGEND OF THE CRYING DRAGON

 

A Dragon must never fall in love with a human

and he must never develop a human heart.”

 

--

Once upon a time, when the world was very young, four-legged chaotic creatures rigorously inhabited the land. They were serpents of huge size, broad fangs, sharp claws, gigantic wings, and sharp eyes. Only fear lingers to the hearts of those who ever mention their names. Gods, they were claimed as gods. The village of Patna is one of the villages that served them as gods. They sincerely deemed that these beasts provided them with plentiful harvests. In exchange, the village must give a token of gratitude to these creatures once in every ten years. A pure maiden chosen by these beasts must become a sacrifice. Refusal is a taboo, because if anyone defies them, undefined horror awaits him. It wasn’t long enough when someone uttered their name without fear, dragons.

The sky was covered with immense darkness as intense rain drizzled down on the village of Patna. The village of Patna was a quiet village with plentiful harvests and benevolent villagers. Children were seen playing in the rain as fishermen hurriedly gathered their nets beside the seashore. Everyone was keeping their own pace living in a peaceful way. Two mysterious figures appeared at the center of the village carrying a seemingly eerie aura. One is a tall, masculine figure wearing a blackish-silver garment with a raven hat and an ebony lengthy cape that reached up to his ankles. On the other hand, the other figure was shorter compared to the latter. One can tell by looking at him that he was young. He had resolute sea-green eyes and black wavy hair. His face was very beautiful, like that of a lady. He wore a refined bluish-black garment with gold embroideries. Added to that, he also wore a cape-like garment with silver puffed sleeves and black boots. Blank, that can only be seen in their faces. Both were soaked in the immense rain as they continued to walk. At long last, they reached the end of the village. A sudden smile crossed the young man’s beautiful face. They have finally arrived to their destination, the Dragon Cave. Both of them entered the cave and hurriedly dried themselves up.

“I’ll be taking this master.” The tall figure spoke to the young man while holding his cape-like garment.

“Thank you, Kaname.” The young man softly replied.

“I’ll be waiting for you outside master. Please excuse me.” Kaname excused himself in the presence of his master and gradually left.

The young man gazed at the immense rain with his sea-green eyes, distressed. He gave out a deep sigh as he hastily entered the cave. Though it was very dark, he can still see through the darkness as if he was in the outside world. He reached the end of the cave slightly panting. As he was to open the door in front of him, he heard a very strident wheeze. He paused for a while and smiled to himself as he opened the metallic door. Upon opening the door, he perceived a vast room inside that was full of stalactites. Solemn yet eerie he thought to himself. At the heart of the room lays a gigantic creature with bluish-black skin. The creature was in a deep slumber while it continued to give off a strident wheeze. The young man strode towards the place the creature mildly rested. His attention was suddenly caught by the white tomb that was beside the creature. He gazed at the creature perceiving a teardrop on his big swollen eyes. The young man gently patted its head as he pulled its gigantic body in a gentle embrace. Upon feeling the warmth of its body, a soothing sensation rushed throughout his entire body as his sea-green eyes slowly altered to silver poignant ones.

 

You’re crying again, Dragon.

--

“Hikaru! Wake up!” An elderly woman stirred the little girl who was still purring in her wooden cloth-covered bed.

“What?” The girl replied unconsciously.

Upon hearing that retort, the uptight elderly woman slapped her with the fan she was holding and shot back furiously. “Don’t “what” me! It’s already late! Your chores are waiting for you!”

The little girl quickly stood up at the bellowing of the old woman and responded with a faint smile, “Yes maam.”

The old woman left at a fast pace, closing the door with a loud bang. The yawning girl stood up and started fixing herself. She stared at the mirror blatantly while combing her dry hair. The little girl was simple all throughout. She had hip-length hair and was a brunette. She had resolute sea-green eyes. The girl was slim and was wearing a hoary brownish garment that reached up to her knees. Putting her hair up in a ponytail, she smiled and exclaimed “Do your best, Hikaru!” She turned and faced her window. The sun was rising between the two mountains, carefully outlining its feature. Dazed, she stared at the beautiful scenery with such glee as a smile crossed her cute face.

It will be a beautiful day.

Hikaru arrived at the dining area while her master impatiently waited for her with a dismantled look on her face. Somehow, Hikaru had the feeling that something was wrong so she hurried on her steps.

“Did you finish your work?” The old woman questioned her in an undesirable tone.

“Yes maam!” Hikaru hastily replied.

“Good. I need you to do another thing.” The old woman held out three sheets of 1000 yen and gave it to Hikaru.

“We don’t have much time. Aria-sama will arrive soon!” Her master instructed her while shaking both of her hands, panicked.

“Aria-sama?!” Hikaru’s face lit up with excitement.

“Yes, she is. Now hurry up! We don’t have all day! Don’t lose the money or else you will pay for it!” She warned her protruding a faint glare.

“Yes maam!” Hikaru left at what seem be a dash.

The weary Hikaru bought all the things needed from a nearby item store. She walked swiftly while unconsciously thinking of Aria.

All of a sudden, the seemingly white clouds turned into an utmost color of gray as fierce lightning was forged. Her attention was caught by the indifferent behavior of the lightning. They were all rigidly gathering at the same spot, the lofty Dragon Tower. The tower was a white fortress with only one window situated at the center of the distressed sea. Feeling a certain chill creeping throughout her body, the brunette immediately decided to leave the place. She turned around to see that not far from here there was cute boy staring at the tower too. Hikaru flushed at the sight of the boy so she rubbed her cheeks. The boy on the other hand, noticed that she was staring at her so he stared back as well. Hikaru was about to say something when the boy suddenly turned his back on her. He walked towards the direction of a big tree. Determined to get the boy’s attention, Hikaru dashed towards him. While he was nearing the boy, she accidentally lost her balance as both of them came crashing into each other.

“That hurts.” The boy exclaimed at the agony he was experiencing.

Hikaru opened her eyes to see that she was on top of the boy. She blushed again and quickly stood up.

“Sorry! I’m very sorry about that!” Hikaru apologized feeling embarrassed.

The boy rigorously rubbed his bleeding knee and gave out a deep sigh.

Feeling even more embarrassed, Hikaru burst out into tears.

“I’m sorry! I’m really sorry!” Hikaru apologized again while sobbing really hard.

Without a choice, the little boy responded to her in a nice manner.

“It’s nothing to worry about.” The boy rubbed his knee to show her that he was all right.

“But…” Hikaru was about to finish her sentence when she noticed something peculiar. She stared at him for a very long time, dazed.

“Is something wrong with my face?” the boy questioned her.

“You have beautiful silver eyes!” The brunette exclaimed.

For the first time, he felt astonished not knowing the real reason why. The girl gently caressed his face as the boy slightly flushed. She intently gazed at his soft silver eyes.

“Your eyes….I can see me in your eyes, but it somewhat looks sad, why is that so?” Hikaru was curious.

The boy was suddenly bewildered of what she said. He became silent while he slowly lowered his head and blankly stared at his feet.

“Did I say something bad?” Hikaru asked him out of confusion as she peered down to him.

Suddenly, the boy pulled her in a sweet embrace. Hikaru was really surprised. She cannot believe what she was into but somehow she felt really blissful, as if the world has stopped. The brunette unconsciously closed her eyes while her body became helpless. She sank deep in his arms feeling the light weight of everything around her as her hesitation retreated.

“Would you like to become my bride?” the boy gently asked her, seriously.

“What!?” Hikaru staggered trying to struggle out of the boy’s tight embrace. The silver-eyed boy, on the other hand, never released her.

“Please, say yes.” He told her in such pleading manner.

“But…..” Hikaru was about to retort but she remembered something important. She forcefully pushed the boy away and got out of his arms.

“I’m sorry, I have to go back. Master is waiting for me.” Hikaru quickly turned her back on him. She was about to dash for it but the boy seized her hand.

“I’ll see you again.” He gently uttered as he released her hand.

“Um, yeah.” Hikaru scurried. When she was about three meters away from the boy she turned around and shouted.

“My name is Hikaru! I’m so glad to meet you! Bye!” Hikaru waved her hand at the boy as she turned around and left at a fast pace.

--

“I’m back.” Hikaru entered the front door and dashed towards the kitchen. As she was scurrying, she noticed something peculiar. Everyone was gathered in the living room. She halted and went into the living room. All the people in the room were gloomy, some were weeping. Hikaru felt an unexplainable chill as a thought crept though her mind. Something was not right.

What’s happening?

Despite the gloomy faces and sobbing, something caught her attention even more. She saw a beautiful young lady in the middle of the living room sitting in a lady-like manner on an elegant wooden chair. The lady had a lengthy and wavy golden hair that was neatly braided. She wore a silver kimono with flowery prints and a huge carmine bow on the back as her delicate golden eyes and carnation lips carefully featured her personality. She had the face of an angel, but most of all she was known as the respected daughter of the late chieftain. Upon seeing her, Hikaru felt ecstatic that she called her name out loud.

“Aria-sama!” Hikaru shouted and all heads turned towards her direction. Hikaru swiftly dashed towards her as she gently held her soft hands.

“Aria-sama! You came back! I’m so happy!” Hikaru was happy that tears start overwhelmed her sea-green eyes. But her happiness didn’t last that long. Unfortunately for her, the villagers suddenly seized her. Hikaru, out of confusion, struggled from their clutches.

“Let go of me!” Hikaru yelled.

“What do you think you’re doing to Aria-sama?” One of the villagers bellowed at her and grasped her even more tightly.

“What have I done wrong?” Hikaru questioned them while sobbing really hard.

“You don’t know anything! Barging in like that and causing a commotion, what do you think you’re doing? Do you know what is happening? If you don’t know how to respect Aria-sama then better get out!” Another villager retorted.

Hikaru became silent as the villagers dragged her towards the door. Hikaru felt dejected and her tears weren’t stopping.

“Please release Hikaru, everyone.” Aria stood up and halted the villagers. Everyone was flabbergasted including Hikaru, they all stared at Aria. Without a choice, the villagers released Hikaru.

“Hikaru-chan, come here.” Aria held her hand out to Hikaru and Hikaru dashed toward Aria. Aria embraced her tightly and Hikaru continues to cry in the arms of Aria.

“Aria-sama, I’m truly sorry!” Hikaru apologized in a crying voice.

“Its okay, Hikaru-chan, it was not you fault. It was not anyone’s fault.” Aria replied with a gentle voice.

“But Aria-sama….” A villager interrupted and Aria turned her attention to him.

“Hikaru didn’t do anything wrong, and besides this will be the last time.” Aria answered him with a depressed voice.

Last time?

“Aria-sama, what do you mean?” Hikaru asked out of confusion.

Aria released her and took her hand. She gently caressed Hikaru’s wound and took out a bandage from her pocket. She tenderly wrapped her wounds and Hikaru slightly flushed.

“There all better now.” Aria smiled at Hikaru and stood up.

“Everyone, please listen. I have already accepted it; this is for the village’s sake. I must ask all of you to please understand.” Aria bowed her head lowly and everyone was surprised.

“But..Aria-sama! Without you what will happen to the village? You are the only one capable for being the next chieftain. Since the last chieftain died in the clutches of those beasts, we can’t allow the same thing to happen again. You are the only one for us! Please Aria-sama! Think about it! There must be another way! A better way than being devoured by…” The angry villager bellowed but Aria cut him off.

“There’s no other way.”

“But…”

“If I don’t go, that beast will turn this village into ashes.” Everyone went mute of what Aria told them. Suddenly, Aria pulled up her sleeves and revealed a black cross mark on her left arm.

“That is….the Dragon’s mark” One of the villagers exclaimed.

“Yes.”

“Every ten years the Dragon chooses a pure maiden and leaves them with a Dragon Mark to become his food in exchange for the plentiful harvests and prosperity this village acquires. But if no sacrifice is presented, the Dragon will turn this village into ashes, that without a doubt.” An old woman explained.

“That’s still not right!” A young boy punched the wooden wall leaving a hole behind and he sobbed.

The villagers started to murmur and wept. The whole house was in the state of melancholy. Amidst all the confusion though, a fiery gale swept the entire house. The ceiling was damaged and the windows broke. To everyone’s demise the bell from the Dragon Tower chimed and everyone in the room felt a killing chill down their spine.

Aria closed her eyes for a moment or so and then opened it once again. She took a deep breathe and tapped Hikaru in the head.

“Take care, okay?” Aria smiled at her for the last time. Hikaru stared at her with such grief. She wanted to say something but no words would come out of her mouth.

A thunderous blast was perceived by all of the villagers. The little kids were frightened by the blast and all of them sobbed bitterly. The blast became louder and louder as the figure was nearing. The figure adjourned, and let out a deafening roar. The atmosphere was darker than ever, everyone was in terror. The Dragon continued to march until he reached the chieftain’s house shading the whole house with his gigantic shadow. He let out another deafening roar.

The villagers were petrified and all of them held each other’s hand. Suddenly, the doors swept wide open as a masculine tall guy entered the room. Everyone, though frightened, turned their attention to him.

“My name is Kaname, and I am the Dragon Caretaker. I’m here to fetch the maiden.” Kaname introduced himself and bowed afterwards.

Aria walked towards the door and all the villagers stared at her in melancholy. Just when she was about to reach the exit, she halted and turned sideways.

“If I did escape and this village was turned into ashes, I would never forgive myself.” Aria turned back and headed towards Kaname who escorted her to the Dragon.

Outside the house, a fiery green-skinned creature with bloodshot eyes and gigantic wings was furiously scraping the ground. The Dragon roared at the sight of Aria and he stooped lowly. Kaname carried Aria to the back of Dragon and the three of them fluttered up into the skies.

Hikaru stared at the window blankly as she sobbed again. It was a night they will never forget.

Aria –sama…..goodbye….

--

Hikaru sprinted mindlessly on a verdant hill holding a grayish basket. She was wearing her usual hoary brown dress and her hair was still tied up in a ponytail. At the sight of the big tree, she dashed towards its direction.

Will he be here?

When she arrived at her destination, the smile on her face turned into an utmost disappointment. The person she was looking for was nowhere in sight. Hikaru sat down under the tree and wrapped her knees with her arms. Tears began to fell from her sea-green eyes as she bended forward and rested her head on her knees. The thought of not seeing the boy and Aria made her felt miserable. She burst out loudly and banged her head on her knees.

“I can’t do anything for them!”

“Do anything for whom?”

At the sound of the voice, Hikaru was suddenly startled as she hastily turned around. Her heart began to beat rapidly when she perceived the charming origin of the voice. She blushed more than ever.

“You’re weird talking to yourself.” The boy with silver eyes mildly teased her.

“You……Why are you here?”

“Why are you here?”

“I’m asking you first! Why are you here?”

“Because I’m here.”

“What kind of answer is that?!”

The brunette furiously retorted as the boy sympathetically stared at her. She had bruises all over her legs and her arm was wrapped up in bandages. Added to her miserable look, an icky white stuff was under her nose and her eyes were swelling from too much crying.

“Why are you staring like that?” Hikaru asked the boy in a furious manner.

“Here, take this.” The boy held out an azure-colored handkerchief.

“What will I do with this? I don’t need it.” Hikaru complained when she accepted the handkerchief.

“You have some stuff under your nose.”

“What?”

Hikaru felt embarrassed and quickly wiped her nose. She was wiping her face very hard, the boy with silver eyes unexpectedly took her right arm and examined it. Her face turned red afterwards.

“Why do you have this bruise?” The boy mildly poked it.

“Ouch!” Hikaru retorted in pain.

His silver eyes gazed at her sea-green ones intently and Hikaru realized that she have to explain herself.

“It’s nothing really, I always have these and it’s like nothing to me. They let me live there in exchange for food and if I did something wrong, naturally they would do this.” She gently rubbed her bruise as she sat under the tree again. The boy followed her afterwards.

“To tell you the truth, I have always hated it there, but because of Aria-sama I tolerated all of their torments. Because for me, there was only Aria-sama, she was my savior. She took me in when no one would and she trusted me with all her heart. But now that’s she’s gone, I don’t know what to do!” Hikaru sobbed bitterly while she wrapped her knees again. The boy stared at her for a moment. He gazed at the azure sky as he serenely uttered something.

“Can I hug you?” The boy intently gazed at her soft brown eyes.

The crying girl was shocked of what she heard but slowly closed her eyes as she unwrapped her knees feeling a bit blissful.

“Please.”

The boy gently wrapped his arms around Hikaru. She relaxed her head on his gentle shoulders. At that exact moment, Hikaru felt that as if pain had never existed. The world has stopped its rotation once again. She gently closed her eyes not realizing that she was falling into a deep slumber.

“Ummm…..”

“Are you awake?”

“What?!”

Hikaru hurriedly rubbed her eyes perceiving that her surroundings were that of the color black. It was already evening. She quickly stood up harshly seizing her basket.

“I’m sorry, I must go. They will scold me again for being late. Bye bye.” Hikaru sprinted towards the opposite direction of the tree but she stopped on her tracks when she remembered something very important.

“Can you tell me your name?” She asked at the boy with a smile.

“Sakurai.” He gently replied.

“Oh that’s great, then see you again, Sakurai!”

She left at a fast pace with a smile on her face. Unknown to her, that it will be the last time they’ll see each other.

--

10 years later

“Hikaru! Hikaru!” Shima furiously bellowed.

“Coming.” Hikaru dashed towards Shima clutching a wooden box of apples.

Eighteen year old Hikaru was now lady-like. She wore a carmine blouse with a flower prints and a lengthy pale skirt. Her hair was now untied and straight. She looked very different than the Hikaru before. With the same features, the only thing that changed was that she was now what other people would call a “beauty”.

“Hurry up on your tracks!” Shima hurriedly returned to the house as Hikaru dashed followed her lead.

Hikaru hurriedly entered the kitchen with a weary look on her face. She carefully positioned the hefty box on top of the wooden dining table. The brunette was about to take out the apples when a deafening voice called her name.

“Hikaru! Bad news!” A lad bellowed while approaching Hikaru.

“What are you babbling about early this morning, Hideaki?” She bluntly asked him out of confusion.

Hideaki quickly took Hikaru’s arm and both of dashed towards the living room. She who was being dragged panted at high speed.

“What do you think-“Hikaru stopped on her words when her attention was caught by the seemingly peculiar circumstance the living room emitted.

The villagers were all gathered around with miserable looks on their faces. Hikaru looked around but still was confused about the situation. She decided to ask Hideaki but was halted by the strident angry voice of a villager.

“The town will be doomed! Look what happened to our crops! The dragon has surely cursed us!” he bellowed.

“Calm down, Shun.” The chief requested him.

“But chief, you’ve seen it yourself too! This town will be finished if we don’t give that dragon its maiden.” Another villager retorted.

“The intense heat, arid land, lack of water, its obvious! That beast is furious at us!” An angry villager exclaimed while he bitterly clenched his fists. Giving up on the insanity that he felt, he intensely sobbed afterwards.

“What will happen to our children?”

“We’ll die of starvation!”

“The dragon has cursed us! It will kill us all!”

Tears and panicked murmurs filled the room. Everyone felt despair as each of them cried their hearts clouded by the horrific dread. Hikaru felt the same indefinite chill the night Aria was held captive by the Dragon. She felt very furious. Firmly clenching her fists, she barged inside the living room. All heads turned to the furious figure that just entered the room, flabbergasted.

“What’s wrong with all of you? She furiously bellowed while sobbing really hard.

“Why are you giving up that easily?!” Hikaru suddenly cried while forcefully burying her face in her hands. Unable to hide his vain feelings, a skinny villager suddenly clutched Hikaru’s dress. Hikaru struggled out of his hands but he gripped even more tightly.

“Are you saying that we should allow that beast to turn us all into ashes?! If we don’t give him what he wants, we’ll all be doomed!” The villager acclaimed while giving her a horrific glare. He looked intently at Hikaru’s struggling face.

Hikaru felt the blood rushing up to her head. She exasperatedly shoved the villager and retorted furiously.

“If we work together, perhaps we can find a way, but you know what? You’re such a coward to know that kind of thing!”

At the sound of her retort, the villager snapped as he clenched his fists rigidly punching Hikaru straight on the face. She fell on the ground head first. He angrily slapped her face a million times as he furiously ripped the sleeve of her dress. Hideaki rushed to rescue her and halted the angry villager. The other villagers prevented the enraged man from doing anymore damage.

“Why you! I’m going to kill you!” The man struggled to reach Hikaru but was forestalled by the tight grip of the villagers.

Hideaki helped Hikaru to stand up. Her face was swollen with a bruise on her lip. Her eyes were red from crying and her beautiful carmine dress was ripped.

“Hikaru…” Hideaki gently wiped her tears. He took a bandage from his pygmy pocket. He wrapped the lengthy swollen wound on the left elbow of the brunette. Just when he was about to cut the bandage, his jaw dropped.

“No way!” Hideaki bellowed and all heads turned to him.

“Hideaki, what happened?” The chief was curious of his bellowing.

Hideaki was speechless. He can’t utter a single word. He just stood there emotionless, staring at Hikaru.

“Hideaki, what’s wrong?”

Hikaru asked him out of confusion too. But Hideaki didn’t answer. He continued to stare at her arm as if he was about to sob. Hikaru looked at her arm too, but nothing was odd. As she looked above the wound, her jaw unconsciously dropped too. She can’t believe what she saw. The chieftain approached the both of them and examined Hikaru. When he looked at the same direction as they did, the expression on his face turned into an utmost shock.

“The…..the…….dragon mark!” he cried.

With the sound of his voice the room became silent. As if something has struck the entire village. Moments later, the silence was broken when a deafening roar filled the entire village and once again the bell from the Dragon tower chimed. A fiery gale swept the entire house. The villagers were terrified and they hold on to each other’s hand closing their eyes. The door swept wide open as everyone’s attention turned to the masculine man who entered the room.

“My name is Kaname, and I am the Dragon Caretaker.” Kaname introduced himself and bowed afterwards.

The room was in complete silence. No one dared to speak a single word. Kaname perceived the terrified faces of the villagers. He sighed and approached Hikaru. He bowed lowly as he kissed Hikaru’s hand, she suddenly flushed.

“My deepest apologies for causing such a commotion fair maiden.” Kaname apologized.

“No, its okay…I mean don’t worry, no that’s not it…ummm…” Hikaru was embarrass and didn’t know what to say.

“Hikaru!” Hideaki bellowed at Hikaru. Kaname glared at Hideaki and Hideaki did the same. Kaname stood up and looked intently at Hikaru’s confused face.

“I was instructed by my master to tell you that we will fetch you tonight. Go to the dragon cave at the strike of midnight. We will wait for you there, fair maiden.” Kaname told her and he bowed afterwards. He turned around walked towards the exit but a furious voice stopped him on his tracks.

“I won’t allow you to take Hikaru!” Hideaki bellowed clenching his fists.

The villagers stared at Hideaki and then at Kaname with terrified looks at their faces.

“Pardon?” Kaname retorted.

“I won’t allow you to take Hikaru! You and that beast only care for your own sakes! You never thought of how we felt when our love ones are taken away from us! You’re all trash!” Hideaki screeched furiously and glared intently at Kaname. Kaname approached him again, this time with a serious look on his face.

“Do you know why that Dragon mark exists?” Kaname asked but Hideaki didn’t answer.

“That is to save your village from the Dragon’s wrath.”

Hideaki can’t move a single finger, he was suddenly paralyzed. Kaname gently caressed his distressed face leaving a cut on it afterwards. Hideaki screeched in pain.

“Do you want to be turned, into ashes?” Kaname’s eyes went bloodshot as a blue fire appeared on his left hand. He held his left hand and pointed it to Hideaki’s head. He was about to release the fire when Hikaru unexpectedly grasped his hand as she revealed a horrific glare.

“Please stop it! I will….go..” At the sound Hikaru’s retort, everyone’s attention turned to her. Some were relieved but some were not. Hikaru released his hand. A smile crossed Kaname’s face. He turned around and left the room.

Hikaru gently aided Hideaki who was agonizing in pain. She helped him to stand up and both of them headed towards the door.

“Hikaru, is it really okay with you?” The demised chief asked Hikaru.

“Yes.” Hikaru retorted.

“Liar! You never liked this village in the first place! You…” the skinny villager bellowed at her but with a miserable look on his face.

“Yes, you’re right. I have never liked this village but…” Hikaru was lost in her thoughts.

But…because of her…..

“But Aria-sama chose to protect this village, that’s why…..”

Hikaru turned around and faced the villagers. Tears were all over her soft brown eyes.

“I’ll protect this village too!” Hikaru smiled at them as both of them sluggishly walked towards the exit.

“Hikaru…” The chief called out her name.

Hikaru and Hideaki halted and turned to face the chieftain.

“Aria will be so proud of you.” The chieftain bowed his head lowly and so did the other villagers. Tears arouse in the eyes of the chief and the other villagers.

“Thank you very much, Hikaru.”

--

Hikaru waited patiently inside a refined wooden carriage in the midst of the Dragon Cave. She wore a silver kimono with a big magenta-colored ribbon on the back. Her hair was neatly combed with golden accessories. Added to that, she wore a bit of make-up that made her beautiful. Nervously staring at the window in front of her, she grasped her chest very tight and closed her eyes gently. The brunette intently prayed to God as she asked for His love and guidance. When she opened her eyes once again, she remembered Aria.

“So this is what Aria-sama felt at that time….” She told herself.

All of a sudden, a loud blast filled the entire cave as Hikaru grasped her chest even more tightly. Bats were fluttering everywhere. Hikaru caught a glimpse of the gigantic figure that appeared out of nowhere. The dragon let out a wild roar upon seeing the carriage. The immense figure strutted towards the carriage. Terrified, Hikaru quickly closed her eyes as tears arouse from it. The sound become louder and louder as the figure was fast approaching. Suddenly the Dragon halted and let out a wild roar. It was the end for Hikaru.

I’m doomed……

The door of the carriage suddenly swept wide open. Hikaru felt a gentle sensation rushing through her body as a warm hand caressed her smooth face.

“Why are you crying?” A gentle voice asked him.

Upon hearing the voice, Hikaru felt somewhat relieved not knowing the reason why. She gently opened her eyes. Her sea-green eyes bulged when she saw the person in front of her.

“You are….”

The mysterious guy continued to caress her face until his fingers reached her tears. He gently wiped it. Hikaru stared at him intently, she was dazed. The person in front of her had beautiful silver eyes. His hair was black and he had lengthy bangs. In his left ear, there was a silver cross earring. The silver-eyed guy wore an ebony lengthy garment. Added to that, he wore a silvery cape-like garment with puffed sleeves. Hikaru flushed when the guy touched her face again.

“Hikaru, what’s wrong?”

All of a sudden, Hikaru hurdled out of the carriage as she hastily embraced the guy. The silver-eyed guy was taken aback but felt a seemingly warm sensation rushing through his insides so he held her even more tightly.

“You came back for me…..Sakurai.” Hikaru cried in Sakurai’s arms.

“Hikaru….”

“I thought I was not going to see you again. You never came back at that time so I thought, you might have hated me.” Hikaru cried burying her face in his soft chest.

“But now, I’m happy, because you came back for me. I’ll never be lonely again.”

Sakurai released her from his embrace as intently stared at her. He wiped the tears from her eyes again. He stared at her with such gentleness and Hikaru flushed again.

“I’m sorry Hikaru. I’m sorry if I haven’t said anything at all.” Sakurai bent his head lowly resting it on Hikaru’s forehead. They looked into each other’s eyes.

“I have never hated you, and I will never hate you.” Hikaru’s face was red than ever.

“Don’t cry anymore, Hikaru. I’ll never leave your side, from now on. I promise.”

“Sakurai…”

Both of them stared at each other for a long time. All of a sudden Hikaru hastily turned around panicky perceiving her surroundings. She quickly grasped Sakurai’s hand.

“Let’s get out of here!” Hikaru suddenly bellowed.

“Why?” Sakurai was somewhat surprised of her sudden change in attitude.

“The dragon will be here any minute, it will surely kill us. That’s why we have to escape!” Hikaru anxiously panicked. She pulled Sakurai in an attempt to run but he didn’t move.

“Sakurai, what’s wrong?” Hikaru asked.

Sakurai grasped her hand very tightly. He stared intently at her sea-green eyes with sadness impaled on them.

“Do you hate, the Dragon?” Sakurai asked her in depressing tone.

Hikaru was surprised of what he said as his eyes looked more distressed.

Of course I do.

“I…” Hikaru wanted to retort but somehow she can’t find the right words.

All of a sudden, a fiery gale swept the both of them. Terrified, Hikaru quickly flinched as she grasped her heart tightly. Sakurai quickly embraced her as a masculine figure appeared in front of them.

“Master, we’re ready to go.” Kaname bowed down in the presence of his master.

“Thank you, Kaname.” Sakurai replied.

Master? Kaname?

Hikaru struggled out of Sakurai’s arms. She turned around and perceived that the person that just arrived was the Dragon Caretaker. The brunettes hastily turned back at Sakurai giving him a glare. Hikaru grasped her heart even more tightly as tears fell from her eyes again.

“You….are…..”

“Yes Hikaru, I’m the Dragon.”

Hikaru could feel her heart furiously aching. It’s as if the world was burdened on her shoulders. Her tears fell more intensely as vehement thoughts crowded her mind. She was furious, and at the same time depressed. The brunette strode towards Sakurai as he grasped his garment with an infuriated look on her face.

“Were you the one that took Aria-sama?!” She furiously bellowed.

Sakurai didn’t give an answer. He just stood there staring at her with a depressed look on his face.

“Did you kill her?! Answer me!” She bellowed again grasping his garment tighter.

Suddenly, Hikaru released of his garment and turned her back on him. Sakurai was bewildered by her sudden change in attitude.

“I see, so you’re the one. How foolish of me.”

“Hikaru I….”

“Sakurai, you can….kill me too….” Hikaru suddenly turned around with a smile on her face.

Sakurai stared at her, flabbergasted. He couldn’t believe what he have just heard. Hikaru motioned forward as she seized Sakurai’s hands.

“Kill me…. Kill me now, Sakurai!” Hikaru furiously bellowed.

I hate living like this.

“Hikaru, I’m sorry but can’t fulfill your wish.” Sakurai gently retorted.

She was stunned while her tears fell even more.

“Why?!”

“Hikaru-sama, I’m sorry for the sudden intrusion but you’ve got it all wrong.” Kaname suddenly spoke.

“What do you mean?” Hikaru replied.

“It was not Sakurai-sama who killed Aria-sama. It was the former Dragon.” Kaname said in a compelling voice.

“Former…?” Hikaru was perplexed.

“Yes, nine years ago, Sakurai-sama succeeded the deceased Yamato-sama as the new Dragon.”

“Yamato-sama was my father.” Sakurai uttered in a low voice while avoiding her distressed gaze.

Hikaru was left in a daze. She was so confused that she didn’t know what to say.

Sakurai is innocent….

“Sakurai…..I……”

“Hikaru, its okay to hate me….” Sakurai dejectedly replied. He turned his back on Hikaru and started to walk towards the opposite direction.

“Kaname, please escort her to the tower. I’m going to rest for now.”

“Yes master.”

Hikaru gazed at intently him from afar with a wretched expression and guilt on her heart.

Sakurai….I…..

--

“This will be your room, Hikaru-sama.”

Kaname suddenly opened an ebony well-polished door revealing a vast room. Both of them entered the room. The room was enormous and had wonderful set of paintings arrayed from the left to the right corner. At the leftmost corner of the room, there was a lofty velvety bed with an elegant glass pane. Astonished, Hikaru stared at her surrounding with such glee.

“This will be my room?” She asked bewildered.

“Yes, do you like it?” Kaname asked with a smile on his face.

“Umm…yes….” She timidly replied.

“That’s great to hear.” Kaname escorted her to an elegant wooden chair. Hikaru sat afterwards.

“Well then, I’ll be taking my leave, Hikaru-sama.” Kaname excused himself from Hikaru’s presence and walked towards the door. He was about to open the door when he halted and turned sideways.

“Hikaru-sama, please don’t hate Sakurai-sama.”

“What?”

“Sakurai-sama did this for your sake too. Please excuse me again, Hikaru-sama.” Kaname left closing the door behind him.

Hikaru leaned her head on the chair. Thoughts about the past vaguely crowded her mind. She gently closed her eyes.

Would you become my bride?

The brunette opened her eyes as she touched her wet face. Her tears unconsciously fell one by one.

“Sakurai…..”

She suddenly stood up and gaited towards the exit. Hikaru strode unwarily the dimly lit hallway. Candles where the only things that served as light to the immense darkness. She continued to dash until she reached the end of the hallway where an enormous ebony door stood with a dragon crest on the middle.

“It’s huge!” She exclaimed.

To her surprise, the suddenly door swept wide open revealing a vast and elegant room inside. She took a glimpse of the room. Seeing that there was no sign of anyone, she hurriedly entered it. The room was even more immense than her room with voluminous elegant glass windows. As she strode the inside of the room, her attention was captured by the exquisite skylight. She was unconsciously embraced by the picturesque scenery that she perceived. She stood there in awe gazing at the stars for a moment.

“Isn’t it beautiful?”

Hikaru was suddenly startled by a voice. She turned around to see that not far from her; Sakurai was sitting on one of the window desk. Hikaru flushed at the sight of him.

“Yes.” She timidly replied.

“That’s great to hear.” Sakurai gazed at the stars as well.

“Sakurai…I…..”

“It’s okay…..”

“What?”

“It’s okay if you hate me.”

Sakurai stood up and approached Hikaru. He reached for her face gently caressing it with his warm hands. A warm soothing sensation rushed through Hikaru’s slim body as her cheeks began to flush.

“We are always hated anyway.”

Upon hearing this, Hikaru’s tears unconsciously streaked. The silver-eyed boy quickly wiped it as Hikaru gently closed her eyes.

“Hikaru…I’m sorry for bringing you here. I just wanted to protect you.” Sakurai gazed into her sea-green eyes.

Sakurai….I….I….

“I’m sorry for not telling you anything but believe me, I didn’t deceive you.”

No…it’s not that…..I…..

“Even if it means for you to hate me, I have to do it…”

Please stop it……

Sakurai gently released her face turning his gaze at the stars. Tears were falling from Hikaru’s eyes more than ever.

“Hate me, Hikaru.” Sakurai told her with sadness painted all over his face. Hikaru stood there crying. She clenched her fists even tighter as she bellowed furiously.

“You don’t understand a thing!”

Sakurai was bewildered at her sudden bellowing. Her sea-green eyes met with his silver ones and all of a sudden, Hikaru hurdled and embraced Sakurai. She held him very tightly as if she’s afraid to let him go.

“I will never hate you!”

“Hikaru…”

“I can’t live without you. I was lonely without you. I will die without you.”

I was lonely.

“I don’t care if you’re a dragon! I don’t care if you devour me! I don’t care at all! All I know is that, I want to be with you, I care for you and I need you…but more importantly…”

Hikaru raised her head and stared at his beautiful sea-green eyes. A smile crossed her face.

“I love you…..Sakurai.”

Sakurai was surprised by the sudden confession. He gently caressed her smooth cheeks and gazed at her.

“Say it again….”

“I love you…”

They gazed at each other for a long time until both of them gently closed their eyes. The gap between them suddenly closed as their lips touched. Sakurai embraced her tighter than ever and Hikaru wrapped her arms around his neck. Finally releasing from the passionate kiss, Hikaru flushed as a smile crossed her face once again. Sakurai carried her to his lofty blackish-silver bed and laid her. He gently embraced her while holding her smooth hand.

“Sakurai, I want to stay like this forever.” Hikaru told him while gazing at the star-filled skylight.

Sakurai pulled her into an even tighter embrace as kissed her passionately once again holding her hand even more tightly.

“I love you forever, Hikaru.”

--

Hikaru took a bite from the scrumptious meal that was set in front of her.

“Delicious!” She exclaimed.

“I’m glad you like it.” Sakurai looked at Hikaru’s delighted face as he took a sip from his gold teacup.

“Sakurai, aren’t you going to eat?” Hikaru asked him in a perplexed manner.

“No. Besides eating those foods will not make us full.” Sakurai explained.

Hikaru suddenly stood up while holding her plate firmly. Taking a spoon full of food, she held it near to Sakurai’s mouth.

“Eat it.” Hikaru demanded.

“But..”

“Never mind just eat it.”

Hikaru gazed straight into his eyes. Without a choice, Sakurai ate the food. He carefully chewed the food. After eating, he raised his head gazing at Hikaru.

“It’s delicious.”

Hikaru beamed upon hearing those words. Sakurai gently wrapped his arms on Hikaru’s waist and gazed into her beautiful sea-green eyes.

“I love you, Hikaru.”

Their lips were about to touch when all of a sudden the doors fled wide open. Both of them stopped what they were doing as their attention turned to figure who has just entered the room.

“Excuse me for the sudden intrusion Sakurai-sama but I was ordered by the Oracle to summon you at the Sacred Hall.” Kaname bowed his head lowly.

“It’s alright, Kaname. I’ll go there by myself.” Sakurai quickly stood up. She glanced at Hikaru and gave her a gentle peck.

“I’ll be back.”

“I’ll wait for you.”

Hikaru stared at him smiling as Sakurai left the room. Hikaru’s attention was then turned to Kaname who was staring at her.

“Hikaru-sama, you really love Sakurai-sama don’t you?” A smile crossed his face.

Hikaru suddenly flushed but quickly replied.

“Yes.”

“I thought so.”

Kaname gently gazed at the window for a moment as he deeply sighed. He sat on a lofty bed on the right-most corner of the room. Hikaru was confused so she sat beside him who was closing his eyes.

“Hikaru-sama, you know that if Sakurai-sama will not eat you, he himself will die right?”

Hikaru was stunned by the sudden thought. Tears unconsciously fell from her eyes as she clenched her fist very tight. Kaname gently grasped her hand leaving Hikaru to flush.

“It’s alright. Sakurai-sama is always gentle that’s why I can’t afford to go against his will.”

Kaname gently closed his eyes again and released Hikaru’s hand.

“Hikaru-sama, would you like to know what happened to Aria-sama?” He opened his eyes.

Hikaru’s was surprised by the Aria’s name. She sat there with a demised expression on her face.

“Yamato-sama fell in love with Aria-sama.”

Hikaru’s face lit up with confusion as she turned her attention to what Kaname has just uttered.

“And Aria-sama fell in love with Yamato-sama too.” Kaname exclaimed in a serious manner.

Hikaru clenched her heart as she was stunned by the truth she has just discovered. She gently closed her eyes and opened them once again.

“Please tell me.”

“Very well.” Kaname stood up placing both hands on his pocket.

“There are two Dragon rules and if the Dragon goes against those rules, they will be over throne by the Oracle.”

“What do you mean?”

“10 years ago when Aria-sama entered the tower, Yamato-sama was lavishing to eat a new maiden. He taunted Aria-sama and blackmailed her each and everyday. Even though how much Aria-sama was agonizing she would never complain and most of all she would smile. Irritated by her smile, Yamato-sama confronted Aria-sama and told her that he would devour her that day. Aria-sama retorted with a smile which made him even more furious. He angrily questioned her why she continued to smile even though he just told her such a painful thing. Yamato-sama expected a furious retort but then what he perceived was another smile and thanks. Aria-sama told him that she believed he was not a bad person because if he was he would never ask her why she had smiled so much. Instead she believed in his heart. Stunned by what he heard, he unconsciously embraced her. All the guilt and sadness has finally subsided.”

“So…he…”

“Eventually, Yamato-sama fell in love with Aria-sama, thus breaking the first rule. But despite the fact that he loved her, his Dragon instincts overwhelmed him and he couldn’t control himself from devouring Aria-sama. When he opened his eyes, it was already too late. He saw Aria-sama bloody and dead in his arms. He suddenly screamed and couldn’t control himself so he decided to get killed, thus breaking the second rule. That’s why he was over throne and Sakurai-sama succeeded him.”

Kaname finished his explanation as Hikaru’s tears weren’t stopping.

“The first rule was “A Dragon must never fall in love with a maiden” and the second rule is…”

Kaname was about to finish his sentence when a fiery gale swept the entire place. Kaname saw Hikaru’s agonizing face so he gently wiped her tears.

“Sakurai-sama disobeyed the first rule but I’ll continue to believe in him. I’m sorry Hikaru-sama, it’s getting late. Take your rest for now.”

Kaname stood up. He was about to leave the room when he heard Hikaru uttered something.

“Thank you, Kaname.”

--

Hikaru gazed at the beautiful stars that were visible through the skylight as she lay down on a velvety bed. She was caught inside the universe of the stars. She didn’t realize that the doors swept open as Sakurai entered the room. He saw Hikaru gazing at the stars and a smile crossed his face.

“You’re dreaming again.” He exclaimed while walking towards Hikaru.

Hikaru was startled by the sudden voice so she quickly sat up. She smiled upon seeing that the person who entered the room was no other than Sakurai.

“Welcome back.” She told him.

Sakurai gently repose his head on Hikaru’s lap as he closed his eyes. Hikaru flushed. She brushed his glossy hair with her right hand. All of a sudden, Sakurai grasped her left hand and held it very tight.

“Let me rest for a while.”

He held her hand tighter than ever.

There was a long silence. Hikaru continued to gaze at the stars as a tear fell from her left eye.

“Sakurai, would you really die if you didn’t eat me?”

Sakurai opened his eyes. He grasped his hair gently as Hikaru’s tears fell one after the other.

“If you were to die, I wouldn’t know what to do….I will never be able to live again…that’s why…..”

Her tears continue to fell until it dropped on Sakurai’s face.

“Devour me, Sakurai. I beg of you.” Hikaru bellowed.

Upon hearing this, Sakurai hastily sat up. He suddenly pulled the crying Hikaru in a gentle embrace. He held her very dearly.

“I don’t know how much I can control myself but I’ll find another way to extend my life.” Sakurai embraced her tighter.

Sakurai……I….

“I only need you Hikaru so please stop asking me to do such agonizing thing.”

Sakurai released her from his embrace carefully gazing at her beautiful sea green eyes. He neared his face to hers.

“Please believe in me, Hikaru.”

Sakurai begged Hikaru as he looked at her straight in the eye. He gently pulled her into a sweet kiss while his arms were wrapped around her waist. Hikaru could fell the wetness of her tears as she embraced Sakurai. They stopped and both of them stared at each other.

“I love you forever, Sakurai.” She smiled.

“I love you too, Hikaru.” Sakurai gently retorted.

Sakurai embraced her again. Both stared at the skylight in awe. It’s as if the world were revolving only to them, but not for long. Suddenly, Sakurai felt a furious sensation run through his veins. He roughly pushed Hikaru away from him.

“Sakurai, what’s wrong?” Hikaru stared at him confused.

“Hikaru…run…” Sakurai ordered her as he buried his face deep in his hands.

“I can’t….”

“Hikaru!!”

Sakurai furiously bellowed but before Hikaru could escape she was caught in the neck by Sakurai’s hand.

“Sakurai…..” Hikaru struggled out of his hands.

Sakurai slowly raised his head and glared at her with bloodshot eyes. The look on his face cast fear on Hikaru’s heart. Upon seeing his eyes, she struggled even more to escape from his clutches. Sakurai, on the other had, clutched her neck even more tightly. Suddenly, she reached for Hikaru’s right arm sinking his sharp fangs on it. Hikaru was traumatized as blood rushed out of her arm. He fed on her lavishly and she felt immense pain. Hikaru fell on the velvety bed when Sakurai released her head first. Seeing that Sakurai was attempting to make a second attack, she gently closed her eyes.

Is it goodbye?

Hikaru waited for Sakurai’s attack while closing her eyes. She was prepared to die. But a sudden roar opened her eyes once again. She perceived Sakurai, feeding on his own flesh. She couldn’t believe that Sakurai was fighting his own instincts. Sakurai’s eyes turned silver afterwards. At the sight of these, Hikaru suddenly embraced Sakurai and held him tightly. She held his hand as she stopped him.

“Please stop it. I beg of you. Please come back to me.” Hikaru cried on his back.

Upon hearing what Hikaru said, he stopped masticating his own arm. Kaname hurriedly entered the room with a weary look on his face.

“Master…what…”

Kaname saw both Hikaru and Sakurai covered in blood. He stared at them bewildered. Sakurai got out of Hikaru’s arms as he hastily stood up.

“Kaname…I have a favor to ask.”

--

“Master, are you sure about this?”

“Yes, I have decided.”

“But it’s going against the Oracle’s wishes.”

“I’ll deal with her myself.”

“Still….”

Sakurai stood up as he walked near a window. He carefully observed the quiet village and sighed. He turned his attention to Kaname who had an unsatisfied look on his face.

“I understand Master. Because of the wound that you gave her, a part of her soul was damaged. The Oracle said that if a dragon bit a human, they well eventually die unless…..” Kaname stopped on his words.

“Unless that portion of their soul will be removed by the Black Incantation.” Sakurai finished his sentence.

“The Black Incantation is the spell that can remove the damage caused by a Dragon to a portion of a human soul before it fully spreads. It can be compared to a chemical that can cure any type of mind illness. ”

“Yes exactly.”

“But the Black Incantation also weakens the source and more importantly…..”

“I’m prepared for it Kaname.”

Sakurai smiled assuring Kaname. The caretaker clenched his fists as he furiously bellowed.

“Why? Why would you go that far for her?! Master, she’s just a mere human and…..”

“I love her.”

Kaname dropped dead upon hearing those words. He finally raised his head and gave out a sigh.

“I understand master. I apologized for my rudeness.” Kaname bowed his head lowly.

“I’ll be taking care of the preparations, Master. Please excuse me.”

Kaname was about to left the room when Sakurai suddenly halted him.

“Kaname.”

“Yes?”

“Thank you.” A smile crossed Kaname’s face as he gently left the room.

Hikaru … I won’t allow this thing to happen again…even if it means….that I would be removed from your memories, forever.

--

Hikaru stood on an isle in the midst of the Sacred Hall. She nervously stood there as she grasped her heart. She perceived her surrounding. The Sacred hall was full of luminous lights and golden paintings. The whole room itself was elegant. Hikaru was taken a back when the doors suddenly swept open. Sakurai entered the room. Hikaru grasped her heart even tighter as Sakurai approached her.

“How‘re you feeling?” he asked her with a smile on his face.

“I’m fine, but what am I doing here?” Hikaru stared at Sakurai with a perplexed face.

The room suddenly shimmered as golden lights enveloped the entire room. Flabbergasted, Hikaru perceived the glimmering surroundings in awe. Sakurai gently held her face and gazed at her beautiful sea-green eyes. Hikaru felt secured in his hands.

“Close your eyes.” Sakurai gently told her.

Dazed, Hikaru bowed his head and gently raised it revealing a faint glare.

“I refuse.”

“Hikaru please…”

“If I did, I would be separated from you, right?”

Sakurai was taken aback by what she said. He couldn’t move an inch as if his whole body was numbed with chemicals.

“Who told you?” Sakurai asked her.

Hikaru became quiet for a moment. She stared at his silver eyes with a demised expression on her face.

“Kaname.” She gently retorted.

Hikaru’s sea-green eyes were filled with tears as Sakurai pulled her in a gentle embrace.

“I don’t want you to die, Hikaru.”

Sakurai embraced her even more tightly. Hikaru buried her face in Sakurai’s chest as she cried harder than ever. She gently got out of his arms and stared at his silver eyes with tears all over her eyes.

“I don’t want to be separated from you…but then there’s no other choice. Actually, I really don’t care about dying at all but….if I died…you’ll be lonely that’s why I have to do this…..even if it hurts me so much. So if ever……”

Hikaru paused on her words as she gently reached for his face. She neared her head on his and gently spoke.

“If ever…..my memory was erased…..one day when we meet again….I’ll remember you…..I promise….because….Sakurai….”

Sakurai…I promise you….

“I love you, forever.”

Hikaru gently closed her eyes engaging in a passionate kiss with Sakurai. A flash of light went shimmering on both of them. Hikaru was wrapped in immense ray of light and when she woke up, Sakurai was a name she couldn’t remember.

“Oowah! Oowah!”

“There we go; it’s a healthy baby boy!” The midwife delightedly exclaimed holding a bloody new-born baby.

“Good job, Hikaru.” Hideaki gave Hikaru a kiss on the forehead as he held her hand tightly.

Hikaru lay on an ebony futon with blood all over her body while she panted really hard. She has just given birth to a healthy baby boy. Her eyes widen when the midwife handed her newborn baby boy to her. The little angel was crying very hard as Hikaru held him near her heart. A teardrop fell from her eyes upon embracing him.

“I’m going to name you, Ohkura.”

Outside of the cottage, two mysterious figures stiffly stood in the front yard. Upon hearing the baby’s cry, Sakurai turned around and headed towards the opposite side. Kaname followed him afterwards.

“Are you fine with this, Master?”

“Yes, I already prepared myself.”

The wind gently blew his black hair on his face as Sakurai halted gazing at the view of the village from a mountaintop.

He sighed while pulling his hair out of his silver eyes.

“I’m happy that she already has a husband and a child…..I’m satisfied now.” Sakurai gently closed his eyes.

“I see.”

“Is there something on your mind, Kaname?”

“The portion of her soul that you ate enables you to live 5 more years but then at the same time weakened your powers. What will happen to the village, Master?” Kaname asked him.

Sakurai opened his eyes once more and turned around to face Kaname.

“I’ll find another way, but for now, I need to initiate the Heaven Ritual.” Sakurai retorted.

Kaname’s eyes widened upon hearing those words. There was a long silence, until Kaname opened his eyes and broke the silence.

“The ritual to produce a new Dragon Heir.”

“Yes, after that ritual…I might have already made up my mind.”

A ferocious knock alarmed the entire house as the villagers protested outside of Hideaki’s cottage. They had fires and weapons. All of them furiously complained.

“Hideaki! I know you’re there with that woman! Return her back if you don’t want this village to suffer any longer!”

“Do you know how futile the village’s condition is? Crops are low and the land is dry! Our families have nothing to eat! We’re all gonna die of starvation!”

Everyone murmured outside. Hideaki wrapped his arms on Hikaru and the baby. He tightly embraced them as tears fell from his blue-eyes burying his face in her shoulders.

“Dear, what do they mean?” Hikaru was confused as she stared at the terrified Hideaki.

“Hikaru…I”

Suddenly, the doors swept wide open as the faces of furious villagers lurked inside the cottage. One of them forcefully took Hikaru by the hand but Hikaru struggled.

“Let me go! What have I done?!” Hikaru furiously bellowed.

The villager slapped her on the face leaving Hikaru stunned. He intently glared at her and finally spoke.

“We’re going to make you pay for your sins.”

--

Sakurai lay down on his bed while blankly gazing at the stars. He gently grasped his chest and gave out a sigh. He was lost in his vague thoughts.

“Hikaru….” He unconsciously muttered.

All of a sudden, the doors went wide open as a panting Kaname entered the room.

“Master, we have a problem.” Kaname stopped on his words and continued to pant.

“What is it?”

“The villagers put out a fire and…..Hikaru-sama….”

Upon hearing Hikaru’s name, Sakurai quickly stood up. He dashed toward the rooftop followed by Kaname. He rapidly transformed into a Dragon as soared into the skies with Kaname on his back. He saw the fire and headed towards its direction. He stridently landed on a firm ground where the villagers stood putting up a fire on a platform. Flabbergasted, all heads turned towards the deafening blast that was heard throughout the entire village.

“Dragon-sama, we apologize for the betrayal the maiden has done, that’s why we took judgment on our own hands.”

A villager took the cloth cover revealing a bloody and motionless Hikaru hanging on a wooden cross. Upon seeing this, the Dragon’s eyes went bloodshot. He let out a deafening roar as he fiercely breathed out a gigantic fire. Everything in the fire’s way was destroyed. Terrified, the villagers ran for their lives as a furious Dragon was set loose. He destroyed everything on his way. He burned the entire village. In the midst of all the confusion, Hikaru woke up in Kaname’s arms.

“Where am I?”

“You’re all right now.”

Hikaru opened her eyes even more perceiving the presence of an angry Dragon who was burning the entire village. A teardrop fell from her eyes. She slowly stood up and dashed towards the Dragon. The Dragon felt something warm on his tail. He turned his sideways as his bloodshot eyes rendered to the bloody person that was embracing his gigantic tail. Upon seeing Hikaru, Sakurai hastily transformed back into his human body and gently held Hikaru in his arms.

“Please, stop destroying the town.” Hikaru gently opened her eyes with tears all over her face.

Sakurai was taken aback at her words. He gently caressed her face as he wiped her tears.

“You have beautiful silver eyes.” She smiled while saying those words.

Sakurai was stunned. He felt a sudden chill rushing throughout his body as though his heart was pierced.

“Hikaru…I…..”

“I’m glad that have found you again……Sakurai….”

Upon hearing those words, a teardrop fell from Sakurai’s silver eyes as Hikaru clenched his hand tightly. Suddenly, the skies turned into an utmost gray and immense rain began to drizzle down the village. Sakurai rested his head on hers, without realizing that his own tears were streaking down his distressed face. He grasped her hand tightly.

“Hikaru…you remembered….” Sakurai gently exclaimed while gazing at her sea-green eyes.

The brunette gently closed her eyes and placed their hands near her chest. She gently opened them again.

“I….even though your erased….in my mind….you’ll still…be forever….in….”

Hikaru stopped on her words as she grasped Sakurai’s hand tighter than ever in her chest.

“In my heart….because I love you for….forever….Sakurai.”

The bloody girl tenderly caressed his face as sluggishly wiped a teardrop. The gap between them closed as they engaged in a passionate kiss. Both of them felt warm as Sakurai embraced her even more tightly. They stayed in the immense rain for a long time. All of a sudden, Sakurai felt Hikaru’s lips turning cold. Her hands also felt cold. Sakurai released her from his embrace and intently gazed at Hikaru.

“Hikaru?”

He called out her name but she didn’t answer. Pale and motionless, the silver-eyed boy panicky looked her pulse, but it has already stopped. It was then that his heart ached furiously, he gently pulled her in an embrace.

“Hikaru!!” He screamed with tears all over his eyes.

Sakurai remained in the midst of the immense rain embracing the dead Hikaru. He sat there emotionless and distressed. Kaname approached him with an infant sleeping on his hands. At the sound of Kaname’s steps, Sakurai slowly stood up facing his back on Kaname while he gently carried Hikaru on his hands.

“Sakurai-sama, this child…..”

“Yes I know.”

“Then…”

“I’m sorry Kaname, but I have already decided.” Sakurai raised his head while blankly dazing at the sky.

“What do you mean?”

“I choose to be a Dragon forever than to let him success me.”

Kaname’s jaw dropped as he opened his mouth to complain.

“But master you…..”

“Kaname, I have only one request…..”

Sakurai turned sideways and Kaname saw his tear-streaked yet gentle face. Kaname’s whole body became numbed upon seeing Sakurai. There was a long silence.

“Please take care of him as he was your own…I beg of you.”

Kaname was dazed. He gently closed his eyes as his tears fell one after the other.

“Yes, I will.”

“Thank you. Farewell, Kaname.”

Sakurai carried Hikaru’s body and he emotionlessly walked in the immense rain with sadness impaled in his face. His heart will never be cured so he walked fearlessly, without even knowing where his feet will take him.

--

“I’ll be going now, Dragon.”

The young boy gently patted the slumbering Dragon. He gave out a slight snort. He strode towards the exit but was stopped on his tracks when he heard a faint noise. He turned around to see that the Dragon moved its head. But something caught his attention even more. He rubbed his eyes to see if he was dreaming but he was not. He perceived a faint smile on the Dragon’s face.

“Farewell, dragon.” The young boy waved his hand and smiled to himself too.

“You’re back, Ohkura-sama.” Kaname exclaimed as Ohkura approached him.

Ohkura stared at Kaname for while with a perplexed look on his face. He sighed and finally smiled.

“Kaname, what was the second rule?”

Kaname was taken aback by his question. He gently closed his eyes.

“A dragon must never develop a human heart.” He retorted while he opened his eyes.

“I see….he was over throne because he cried for her.” He gently uttered.

There was a long silence. Kaname stared at his perplexed master and let out a sigh.

“He had a choice. He can die and let you succeed over him but Sakurai-sama was a gentle young man. He chose to be a dragon forever then to let you succeed over him because he knew how painful it is to become a Dragon…..”

Ohkura was startled at the sudden truth he heard. The rain stopped as he gently raised his head. The sun showed his its face once again as birds were flying everywhere.

“Let’s go, Kaname.” Ohkura started to walk but was stopped when he realized that Kaname wasn’t moving. He turned around and gazed at him.

“Kaname?”

Kaname gently pointed his fingers towards the sky. Ohkura was bewildered by his sudden gesture so he looked the same direction as he did. Upon seeing it, a smile crossed Ohkura’s face as a tear drop fell from his eye.

“A rainbow….”

THE END

© 2008 Matsu_Glare13


Author's Note

Matsu_Glare13
A/N: The fact that you have reached up to the bottom of this page means that you have finished reading (or not) this one-shot short story. Actually, this story was intended to become a novel but due to the lack of inspiration, the �author� found it troublesome to think of a new concept thus she ended up with this one. - So I�m sorry if the story is a bit abrupt and I�m sorry if I didn�t explain other concepts. )

TRIVIAS:

- Ohkura is a half Dragon and a half Human. That explains why his green eyes turned to silver upon embracing the Dragon.

- The Dragon Mark only appears on a Maiden�s left arm.

- Kaname is an immortal and he�s a half Dragon and half Human too. A half Dragon can also become a successor if no pure Dragons were born. Since there was one, Kaname ended up becoming a Dragon Caretaker. This also explains why Sakurai trusted him with his child because he�s a half too.

- The Oracle grants the Dragon Caretaker an immortal life.

- When a Dragon is out of control (or lavishes for human meat), his eyes turns bloodshot.

- The status of the village depends on the Dragon�s emotions. If the Dragon is mad, the town becomes arid and harvests become low. If he�s happy (usually he�s only happy when he acquires the maiden) the town acquires plentiful harvests. And for rare moments, if the Dragon cries, rain drizzles down the village. This explains why it rained when Sakurai cried.

- If a Dragon can�t devour a maiden within 10 years, he himself will die too. Since Sakurai ate a portion of Hikaru�s soul, he was able to live 5 more years.

- Sakurai broke the second Dragon rule since he developed a human heart by crying for Hikaru.

- Yamato also broke two dragon rules since he killed himself.

- In case you are wondering why Sakurai didn�t die in the end of the story it�s because if a Dragon disobeys two rules he�s given two choices. It�s either he will die as a Dragon and let someone success over him or he can be a Dragon forever but will slumber for the rest of his life. Since he haven�t finished the Heaven ritual, the only heir to him was Ohkura that�s why he chose to become a Dragon forever than to let his and Hikaru�s child succeed over him.

- Even though Hikaru forgot Sakurai, he�s still there living in her heart. lolXD the power of love -

- I added a little bit of symbolization. After the Dragon cried, Ohkura saw a faint smile on its face and when he got out of the cave, he perceived that it stopped raining and there was a rainbow. So basically, the rainbow was Sakura�s smile.

- That�s all to my story�.hopefully, you enjoyed reading it! lolXD This was my first time writing a narrative prose and I admit that I�m not good at it. - The important thing is I tried�reviews are very much welcome! �MatsuGlare--


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

149 Views
Added on October 1, 2008

Author

Matsu_Glare13
Matsu_Glare13

About
--Me, Myself and I-- Name: MatsuGlare (As u can tell it's a pen name) Achievement: God-fearing (I'm a proud Christian and I love God!) God is my Saviour and my eternal Father. Age: 17 (College Stud.. more..

Writing