When I Was Her Age

When I Was Her Age

A Poem by angryCactus

I shouldn't be jealous of her. 
She has her whole life ahead of hers, and I have mine.
We both have decades left to create ourselves.
She is full of life and determined to build a snowman in the snow that never comes.
She is my sister.
When I was her age, I wanted to be dead. 
There was nothing wrong with me, and yet I felt the blood should drain from me, leaving me as cold as I felt.
I was utterly alone, lost to myself and those who loved me.
I still remember the day my only friend said she had been putting up with me in hopes that I would go away.
I tried.
I failed.
I got help.
I cope now, for the most part.
The scars don't fade, but they are less a part of me than they were.
I lost years of my life to an illness that destroyed who I was.
Picking up the pieces meant bleeding on the broken shards.
It meant realizing I could not rebuild myself because I had not had a chance to be a person before I shattered.
When I hear my sister laughing with her friends, I find yet another hole in the person I am trying to be.
When I see her, she who cut her hair the way I had it when I was yet that young, I look in the mirror and try to see myself if I had been like that instead.
I have lived so long with this that it is hard to think of myself as separate from it.
I would not wish it on my worst enemy, and I would surely live it all again before I would let my sister feel an ounce of it.
And I am sure that she is the image of me in a lake, and the waves that make us different distort the space between us.

© 2018 angryCactus


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

56 Views
Added on November 28, 2018
Last Updated on November 28, 2018
Tags: mental illness, family, prose, poem, spoken poem, depression, jealousy

Author

angryCactus
angryCactus

About
I'm new to writing for fun, but I think it's a skill worth developing more..

Writing