the room

the room

A Story by Ankur Sharma

The curser was blinking on the display screen similar to his heart beats which was the proof of his life is still remaining. He knew that there is a very thin line among the imagination, illusion and the truth from the world, also the guarantee of certainty cannot be granted. Finally he opened the door and decided to leave the room the thing once used to be his part of body and mind, the dark corner and the cursor which was still blinking.

He was on the road but he knew it is very difficult to be alone tonight. Some of the human and some of the animals, may be in the form of dying stars, were silent because they were hiding a lie. He never cared for them before in his life but he never ignored them completely. He passed them too to take his walk toward the north of the city.

The children were watching in his eyes and making fun of him and his eyes. The northern children have the red eyes same as the color of the blood of those god of the books. People say their eyes can see inside you except your heart, they have the power of changing the destiny. So they are also known as the changers of the north. They say when gods lost their battle they colored the eyes red. But an epidemic broke out in the north and many of red eyed children died. The children told that it was the wrath of the gods before their disappearance.

He still was not sure whether he can touch the air he breathes in and breathe out. He saw a subway just out of the city. There used to be a cave in the ancient time but where the people of that time draw their mind on the walls of the cave. Now by the time gone the cave emerged as a subway.  A fierce war was fought between the night creature and the flying shadows to take possession of the subway, although the people of his community decide not to take part in the war because of that flying shadows got weaker than the night creature thus the shadows lost the war. From then the flying shadows decided whenever they will see any man of the rooms, the community of which he belongs to called the men of the rooms, they will take their souls and send it to the notorious jails of Pacific Ocean. From that day they created the rooms went in there for forever this was the birth of the community the men of the room.

He never saw the subway before in his life except in his thought based on the anecdote told by the travelers of the dust land. They told him that now the great subway in its last days it can be crumbled any time. The night creatures decided that they will not pass any one through the subway to enter the city so that some days add to it. He decided to enter the subway he saw that it was in its best state. He saw the some men were inside of it, sleeping on the pavement floor of the subway, although they all were asleep but their eyes were completely opened. He also saw that some of them were familiar to him. There was a man with whom he fight to take the man’s room, he knew he cheated to win the fight.

When the men’s ancestor decided to live in the room they made enough room for all of them but they never told the secret of building room, they wanted their future generation be so strong to wipe out all the animals, shadow and the night creature. The men’s next generation took the opposite direction and they made new law. A man has to fight the current owner of the room, the winner will get the room and the loser left with two options either to get killed by the hand of famous executioner of the men’s room community or leave the city for never to return.

 Men in the subway woke up by the sound of his footsteps. They didn’t say anything to him but they were very afraid of him. Why the travelers of the dust land tell a lie to us? The answer of this question can be read clearly on these men faces. The man, the previous owner of his room, came to him and requested him to go from here and not to tell anything about the reality of the subway. He said him that night creature took pitied on us and gave the subway till the next legend night creature born into the deep valley of the great volcano of red sea. Before this day it was a myth for us that the red sea does not exist and night creature neither can born nor can be destroyed but their weakness led them to the dark places. Once in a thousand years a legend night creature born, who has got the power of creating new night creature, after doing this work the legend night creature died for next thousand years.

He asked this man that he want to know whether he is alive or dead. The man said it is very hard to find this question’s answer, he never met anyone in his long and experienced life who have knowledge to give the answer. The head lady of the great Ladies of the house community may have the answer he said to him.

There was a time when those famous ladies of the house used to live in the center of the city. They leave that part of the city a long time ago. There was a treaty between his community and the ladies of the house community that say a man can come here but emotional attachment like love cannot be tolerated at any cost. The man grew stronger and began to think they are in a safe position and they cannot be safer than this. They thought that the ladies of the house are their property and broke the treaty. This move forced them to go into forest where they can live on the trees.

 The forest was not very far he went there to meet the head of the ladies of the house. All the ladies were there and started to talk with each other after looking at him. He asked them about their head but he asked them about the emotion because of that they leave the city. The ladies told him in this world there is no man as emotional as they are but we respect only controlled emotion, because these are the emotion make any one stronger or weaker.

The head ladies of the house was very old, she saw all the old and modern war. I asked her the same question whether I am alive or dead.

A man is dead as long as until he started thinking about this question. You were living in the room bounded by the limit of your thought imagining that the room is only truth does exist  without any feeling of the souls you have. You thought you are weak and cannot survive outside of the room. You wanted to be safe but you forgot that you are choosing just another cell of a great jail. In room you were living a dead life stinking of your dying soul. The room must have been your instrument of finding yourself but you made it nothing but just another graveyard. You have to feel alive and only you can do that no one can do it for you.

© 2013 Ankur Sharma


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Expresses the true feelings of a trapped coward soul mustering courage to break the glass walls of the comfort prison. But not many have the guts and i would say me is one of them. Loved it

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

292 Views
1 Review
Added on August 28, 2013
Last Updated on August 28, 2013

Author

Ankur Sharma
Ankur Sharma

shamli, utter pradesh, India



About
writing, writing and writing more..

Writing
REWARD REWARD

A Story by Ankur Sharma