In the Eyes of a Mouse

In the Eyes of a Mouse

A Story by Annabelle Lee
"

In the viewpoint of a mouse, I tell the story of the creature finding a beautiful house to live in but then a new family moves in and then it gets ruined

"

            In the Eyes of a Mouse

            It was hard to find a private nook in that glorious house. There were no damp basements or holes in the wall. I had to expand the small hole when I found it in the back of the house. And such a house it was! How lucky I am to have lived in a beautiful house in the country. It was the best decision in my life to leave the ugly, dark, cat-infested city after my family was eaten. But I don’t want to talk about that now.

            I caught a ride on a truck that was delivering valentines. There was a big bouquet for someone in the country. When I saw that perfect house, I knew it was to be my new home.

            Well, it’s not very perfect anymore. And for that, I am ashamed of myself.

            Anyhow, I was a little worried about the family that lived there. I had to find out if they had a cat that I needed to learn how to evade.

            Soon after I arrived, and settled into my nook, I discovered that there was no cat or animal of any kind. The couple that lived there had no annoying children, and they were as quiet as mice just like me.

            When I first ventured out of my niche and into the house, I was absolutely delighted. The white carpet contrasted with my fur but the couple was out so I had time to meander about and it felt good beneath my paws, warm, unlike the cold floors that a mouse is used to.

The lovely couple always had windows and doors open to let in the sunshine, so there was a whisper of breeze dancing throughout the house all the time. It faintly brushed my brown fur and it sent chills down my spine.

            The smell of freshly cut grass from outside that the light breeze carried caressed my nose, inviting me outside. It was so sweet, that the couple almost saw me, for I was lingering out in the open.

             One day the couple baked salty bread together, and they left a few chunky crumbs on the kitchen floor. The herbs mixed together wonderfully in my mouth. The rosemary and basil caught my attention the most; they’re my favorites.

            These were my fondest memories, but after a year of a quaint and silent relationship between me and the humans, tragedy struck. The man’s career was to be moved to another state. And, of course, the woman would follow her husband to the end of the Earth. There was no argument, no fight, and no struggle.

            How do you think I felt? The feeling of not knowing what was going to happen frightened me.

            Maybe the new humans will be just as nice, I told myself. Or maybe they’ll be horrid.

            I bid the couple a silent farewell as I watched the moving truck leave.

            The next day, the new humans came. The first two humans looked…decent enough and I was optimistic that I wouldn’t have to move. And then their daughter came into view. Her unnatural platinum blonde hair fell around her face that was practically covered with make-up. The girl’s outfit contrasted to where we were completely. She was dressed for a fashion show or some other kind of tedious event that humans go to. Her pink jacket and her flashy tank top mismatched her hot red skirt. I had remembered seeing that kind of “style” in the city sometimes.

            The girl didn’t seem like a quiet kind of person, which troubled me. But what troubled me more was that she was being followed by a fluffy, white, pampered cat.

            I panicked and ran to my nook immediately.

            The next couple of weeks, I discovered that the parents of the prissy teenager fought and yelled nearly every day. In addition, the girl shouted and complained that she missed her house in the city, the country was boring, she missed her friends, blah, blah, blah! They didn’t even leave the doors or windows open. The breeze wept outside, for it was never allowed in.

            The cat, dubbed “Princess” by the girl, meowed all the time. I was lucky to avoid her. 

And when there was silence in that house, it was eerie and tense in replacement of the usual peaceful silence.

            I should’ve moved the day when that family arrived, but I just couldn’t tear myself away from the house. My home. My first happy memory ever since my family was killed.

            When I was sneaking around the kitchen one day, the cat unexpectedly jumped out from behind a corner. I was supposing that since the cat was so fat and immobile most of the time, I had a good chance of outrunning  her, but no, she was faster than she looked.

            Whenever I had a chance to jump into my hidden hole, the cat would block me or chase me away from it. She pursued me around the house, crashing into the furniture, scratching the precious wood floor in the kitchen, tearing the curtains and grazing the walls.

Our scrabble caught the attention of the girl and she screamed as if I were an alligator. She ran into a table and the sculpture smashed into the window. Then the parents arrived from their outing and everyone was either chasing me or accidentally destroying my house! Coffee spilled on the exquisite white carpet that I loved and everything seemed to be falling apart.

            I had noticed that the door was slightly ajar, so I made my escape outdoors. I still heard the shouting from the family as I made my way down the dirt road until I jumped onto a car going the opposite way.

            It was my fault that my perfect house was ruined. There will never be a place that is home to me as much as the house in country was.

© 2014 Annabelle Lee


Author's Note

Annabelle Lee
I like the imagery, but I was thinking that the ending needs to be more dramatic, so that the mouse really feels bad.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very good - short story of a cat

Posted 9 Years Ago


mice"just like me.

When I first ventured out of my niche and into the house, I was absolutely delighted. The white carpet contrasted with my fur"but the couple was out so I had time to meander about"


what are these quote marks for? that sounded stupid when I wrote it so let me try again - I question the need for the quote marks in the listed part of the story.

it's a very nice story, by the way; I liked it

check out hit man a few stories down - keep writing Max

Posted 9 Years Ago


Annabelle Lee

9 Years Ago

oh i don't know why those are there, i just fixed it

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

140 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 20, 2014
Last Updated on August 23, 2014




Know That I Too
We are never alone (a poem for mental health month)