This I Believe

This I Believe

A Story by Elle Thompson
"

A very serious essay about super heroes.

"

I believe in super heroes. I believe in the power and ability of the forces of good to triumph over evil in real life and in fiction. I do not, however, believe in capes, tights, explosions causing mass mutation, super powers, millionaire vigilantes or cosmic refugees posing as journalists. I know, these things contribute to an image of the super hero as corny and ridiculous, but, I also believe a person’s childhood is not complete without them. Many of us, looking back, will find that cartoons or comic books gave us our first glimpses into the adult world where there is conflict, drama, romance and violence. It is an exaggerated glimpse, to be sure, but it is a glimpse nonetheless. Super heroes do not have to be confined to childhood, though, or don shiny knee-high boots. In fact, if you continue to pay attention to them throughout your life the guidance they gave you in your youth will stay with you forever. 

In a world where there is a clear lack of religion the lines between right and wrong are often blurred or nonexistent. Children in a modern world, so blind to morals, need heroes, the capes and x-ray vision just keep their attention. This, in fact, is why ordinary heroes, sometimes, just don’t cut it. Cops stop bad guys too, don’t they? Firemen save people just as often as super heroes do. This is true, but the prize goes to the guy who did it with laser-vision, and doesn’t need a badge to express his authority. Anyway, super heroes often inspire children to grow up and do extraordinary things, there is no question about that. Super heroes, and the plots surrounding them, encourage values like determination, teamwork and courage.   

As adults, we have a more difficult time seeing the value of super heroes. We bury ourselves in serious, “adult” literature, and forget the merits of these action-packed stories which were, at one time, very important to us. This is a shame, because the raw, good vs. evil quality of these narratives and the intimacy in the way they are presented speaks to us on a level that most other genres fail to reach. Not only that, but many super heroes, especially the more modern ones, tackle issues with the same amount of depth and thoughtfulness that “adulty” literature does. 

So, perhaps super heroes are a little cheesy, but they are a cheesy reminder to be a better person, and that good can prevail. They capture our attention as children, but, I believe, the lessons super heroes teach us can stay with us for the rest of our lives. 

© 2012 Elle Thompson


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Author's Note

Elle Thompson
this was written for school initially as well, I think it turned out nifty though. Not interested in serious critique.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

69 Views
Added on September 14, 2012
Last Updated on September 14, 2012
Tags: super heroes, childhood, power

Author

Elle Thompson
Elle Thompson

MI



About
I have been writing for ten years, I wrote for the local newspaper for two years, I have been published a couple times in the local library's poetry anthology and I have taken a number of classes in w.. more..

Writing