College

College

A Story by anonymous

“It’s not a goodbye, it’s a see you later”… probably the most overused quote of all college aged freshmen girls, but it’s true. Going off to college and the emotions that come along with it are weird. You feel nervous but excited at the same time. All summer you’re shopping with your best friends or family for cute dorm room decor, bedding, school supplies and more. Around mid July as you’re shopping you get a sinking feeling in your stomach because you realize that once you’re away at school, you won’t be able to take spontaneous shopping trips with your best friend anymore. You push that feeling down because it’s only mid July and move in day seems so far away, so it doesn’t matter.


The beginning of August rolls around and you can’t believe how fast summer is going by. You’re so excited to meet your roommate for the first time, and go out, and meet new people but a wave of guilt washes over you as you realize you’ll be leaving your old best friends and making new best friends. You feel guilty for being excited to leave your life at home that is all you’ve known for the last 18 years and start fresh. You shake that feeling off because move in day still seems so far away.


The end of August creeps up on you out of nowhere and one by one your friends start leaving. You go through the awkward goodbyes and they’re not awkward because you don’t love these people and won’t miss them, they’re awkward because saying goodbye makes it real and who would want that? 2 months ago college was all you could think about but now, the night before your best friend moves in, you sit on her front porch talking until 2 am because you neither of you want to say goodbye.


Now it’s your turn. It’s finally here. The moment you’ve been waiting for your whole life. The night before your move in day you sit on your floor surrounded by the overwhelming amount of things you still have to pack. You have one last meal with your family, and joke around and have a great time. You laugh so hard your stomach starts to hurt until it hits you. No one wants to talk about the elephant in the room but you know everyone is thinking it… you’re going to miss this so much.


You finish packing everything up and look around at your empty room. How weird does it feel to have just packed up 18 years of your life? You probably cry a little bit. And then a little more. And then you might cry A LOT. You might have a quick panic attack, hyperventilate but try not to cry too loud, which just makes you cry more.


But good, get that crying out of your system. Because guess what? Tomorrow is the beginning of the rest of your life. College is unbelievable. It is the most fun you will ever have. But college is also what you make of it. Go in with a positive attitude, make the MOST out of your college experience because you only have 4 short years. I say ‘short’ because college will absolutely fly by. Try something you normally wouldn’t try. Join a club you normally wouldn’t join. Rush a fraternity or sorority even if that’s not typically what you’re interested in. You don’t have to pledge but at least go to a few parties and check it out. Don’t be too nervous to ask someone in your class for their number, a girl who you want to be friends with or a guy that you think is cute. Live outside of your comfort zone. Just try everything at least once… you might surprise yourself. College is full of amazing opportunities, you just have to be brave enough to take them.


As for your friends and family, there is no denying that it’s hard to leave them. No matter what year of college you’re in or even if you’re graduated, no one can deny that saying goodbye to friends and family is tough. But I’ve learned this amazing thing in the year that I’ve been away at college: they’ll always be there. You’ll come home in May and have 3 long months with your best friends and family, and it will honestly feel like you never left. It may feel like something has changed a little bit, but it will be you who has changed, for the better. You will start to appreciate the time you get to spend with your family more, and it’ll make those late night QuickChek slushy runs with your best friends more valuable. Your favorite restaurant in town will still be around 9 months from now… and the food will probably taste even better after you’ve been stuck with dining hall food. 


My point is, college is (sadly) temporary. So go. Make the most out of it. Go out with your friends, pull an all nighter in the library, order from your new favorite restaurant at 2 in the morning because why not? Enjoy college and don’t waste the short time you do have being sad about having to be away from your friends and family. I know it’s hard, trust me, I know. But when you come home for Thanksgiving break, holiday break, spring break and finally back home for the summer, everything will be the same, but better. Because you and all your friends will have grown so much, and are one step closer to discovering who you really are. Plus, you’ll have some really really awesome stories to tell.


Good luck~

© 2016 anonymous


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

145 Views
Added on August 24, 2016
Last Updated on August 24, 2016
Tags: college, freshmen, sad, nervous, excited, fun

Author




Know That I Too
We are never alone (a poem for mental health month)