World of Silence

World of Silence

A Story by A.O.

Her ashen face was nothing striking. Just like everyone else, she was not beautiful by any means, just plain. Her grey eyes were sullen, her jaw sharp and defined, set in a permanent frown. Her thin lips were barely pink, pale, like the rest of her unblemished skin. The thin peak that was her nose set in the dead center of her narrow face. The only thing out of the ordinary was the blank expression her face constantly held.

It wasn’t a look of anger, though not a look of contentment or excitement either. It was...just a look. Her grey eyes stared off into the distance, unseeing. Her mind sat in that perfectly symmetrical head, uncomprehending. But her heart sat in her chest, beating and giving her limp body life. She was blind and deaf, mute and paralyzed. With no way to communicate or move, she was isolated in her own little world. Though, her world was only silence.

Her ears were useless appendages, their purpose destroyed sometime before her birth. Her mouth sat in its appointed position, never having any need for movement. While her mind was active, her body remained unmoving, unyielding. Her position was unknown, her surroundings a secret. Thanks to her drawn lot in life, she had no way of knowing if anyone was close to her, or even if it was nighttime or daytime. Time rattled along, a rundown old train car on uneven tracks leaving her behind. Her internal clock had long ago been smashed, no need for it when she could do nothing with her time. For a while, she had wished she were dead, but time caught up with her and the death wish dried up like withering flower.

And so she sat, rejected and alone, with no one to comfort the miserable soul that resided somewhere deep within her. She didn't know words, couldn't do sign language, but she could live. And she would live. She would live and defy all expectations. She would live and beat her cruel fate. She would live in her world of silence.



© 2016 A.O.


Author's Note

A.O.
This doesn't really fit in any category, but I would like feedback on where I should go next and what the current story tells you.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Good introduction to a short story. You could delve into the workings of the human mind and give us a look into what this character is thinking. Remember Helen Keller. All that brilliance was waiting in the darkness for someone to turn on the light.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Whilst being a story I got the feel of it drawing essence from a more poetic realm of thought than anything!
It's good and I do like it. I feel as a story though it could be taken further, but i enjoyed it, it's made me want more!


Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

181 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 5, 2016
Last Updated on September 5, 2016
Tags: Story, silence, blind, deaf

Author

A.O.
A.O.

St. Louis, MO



Writing