Blur

Blur

A Story by Shree Balaji Education
"

Hoping to find salvation in the south, a young man with strange powers travels with his companion, fleeing from the darkness that hunts them both.

"

Blur

C.C.


He could still remember the sound of her voice. Had he just been a bit faster, they wouldn’t have gotten her, and he wouldn’t be here. Thunder roared in the distance as he looked out over the New Orleans streets. Police sirens blared a few blocks away.

“Well, time to go to work,” he said, pulling his goggles over his eyes, running towards the edge of the building and speeding off in a blue blur.

***

“Gavin, wake up. We need to keep moving or someone’s going to find us.” When he merely turned over in his sleep, Molly lightly smacked his forehead, startling him.

“W...who’s there?!” Gavin shouted, jumping forward from his seated position, lightly stumbling after the rude awakening. Molly burst into laughter at his reaction, and he scowled at her. “Did you have to hit me? I thought we were being attacked or something!”

Molly ran a hand through her auburn hair. 

“Oh come on. Gav, it’s no big deal. Plus, had that been someone attacking us, you’d probably be dead right now,” she said with a smile. “But like I was saying, we really need to get going if we want to get to Louisiana by tomorrow! Get your things together and let’s go!”

Gavin stood up and stretched, his muscles aching under his dark skin. They’d been constantly on the move for over a month, and sleep didn’t seem to be a priority. He glanced down at the broken face of his watch, seeing that it was only four in the morning. Three hours of sleep did not do him any favors. He grabbed his hoodie from his pack, torn in several places, and donned it. “Alright, let’s go. Where exactly are we headed before we go south?” he asked as they stepped out of the rusted truck bed and began walking along the dirt road.

“Well, we should hit Canton by tomorrow morning, tonight at the earliest. After that it’s about a twenty five miles to Jackson, with a hundred miles until New Orleans,” Molly said.

After several hours, clouds covered the sky and thunder boomed in the distance. Gavin looked around for some kind of shelter, but there was nothing. “Molly, we better pick up the pace unless we want to be caught in a storm again,” Gavin said. 

“Oh, storms aren’t that bad. Besides, if anything happens I’m sure you’ll just save me again,” said Molly thinking back to a few months before. 

The pair had been brought into the orphanage a few months apart, with Gavin having been in several. The building was falling apart due to lack of proper care, and was overcrowded with children.

“Get back here Fralix! I’m not done with you!” screamed a man as he pulled Gavin by the collar into his office. A loud thud was heard, and a few minutes later, Gavin exited sporting a fresh black eye.

“It’s okay John, he thinks it was me. You’re off the hook,” Gavin said to a Hispanic boy a few years younger than he. “Evers, you’re clear too, but you’ve gotta be more careful now, okay?”

Molly nodded and went to get a first aid kit.

A few nights later, Molly was carrying a few bags across the street and one tore. As she went to pick up what had fallen, a drunk driver came speeding down the road. She was frozen in fear as the car sped towards her, and just before the car hit, a blur rushed her away to a nearby field. The blur crashed into the ground and Molly rolled a few feet away. Brushing herself off, she looked at her savior, and it was Gavin. She had a shocked look on her face and opened her mouth, but was cut off as Gavin spoke.

“Please don’t freak out-“ 

“FREAK OUT WHY WOULD I FREAK OUT I MEAN WHAT THE HECK WAS THAT HOW DID YOU,” she nearly yelled before taking a deep breath. “How the hell did you just do that?!”

“I don’t know, okay?! It’s just me! It’s who I am! I’m not a monster, I’m not a freak!”

“I never said you were a freak, but come on! You just whisked me away from a speeding car, and you expect me to have no questions?!”

“I didn’t mean that! I just…I don’t have all the answers,” Gavin said, pulling his hood over his head. “Look, I’ll just go. Tell them that I ran away-“

“No! Gavin, this is cool! Why didn’t you tell me about this sooner? You could be some kind of hero with gifts like these!” she exclaimed.

Gavin looked at her with tears in his eyes. Finally had someone who accepted him.

“Molly, is that Canton on the horizon?” Gavin asked. “It isn’t even evening yet. How’d we make it here so fast?”

“I guess I must have mistaken exactly where we were, but we’re running low on supplies, so this is a good thing! Come on!” Molly said running towards the town.

***

They entered Canton, their mouths watering at the smells coming from some of the nearby restaurants. If had been a few weeks since they’d eaten their fill, and both exchanged eager glances. 

Molly opened her pack and dug around for a few bills, but all she could find was pocket change. “Damn it! I think someone stole the money from my bag last night! Do you have anything?” she asked Gavin.

He dug into his tattered jeans, finding only loose change and lint. “I’m tapped out. We lost the money from my bag when he found us a few weeks ago. Didn’t do any good for my clothes either,” he said looking down at himself. “No one’s going to trust a black guy in clothes like these, especially if he doesn’t have any money!”

Molly placed a hand on his shoulder, looking into his eyes. “We’ll figure something out, we always do! I mean, I hate to ask you to do it, but could you use your ‘gift’ to get us some money? Not a lot, just enough to get some food for the next few days?” she asked, grimacing as she did. “I hate stealing,”

“I’ll see what I can do, just give me a few minutes. Meet me in the alley over there in just a few,” Gavin said as he pulled a pair of goggles from his bag and placed them over his eyes. He took a running stance and sped off in a blue blur towards a convenience store.

An alarm sounded. A blur sped out of the store. Molly waited in the alleyway, and a sudden gust of wind blew in, and there stood Gavin with a wad of cash in his hand. “I cleaned out the register this time, hopefully that can get us through the week,” Gavin said as he handed her the bills.

“The register? Someone’s gonna report this, but hopefully SP doesn’t hear it. I guess let’s get something to eat, then find somewhere to rest,” Molly said leading the way out of the alley.

The pair headed towards a local food joint, ordering full meals. While they waited, Gavin thought about the money he took. It wasn’t always like this. He remembered the conversation he had with Molly before they ran away.

“Molly, with powers like this, I really could be a hero like you said! Picture this headline: Faster than a speeding cheetah! Able to leap a rhinoceros in a single bound! The Kenyan Quickster! Pretty good right?” Gavin asked.

Molly slapped her palm to her forehead and sighed aloud. “Gavin, that’s just…really racist. Funny, but still racist. Definitely a different name, so maybe there wouldn’t be so many puns involved. This isn’t sixties Batman and Robin you know,” she replied. 

“Fine, I’ll come up with something else. But hey, did you hear about th-“Gavin was cut off by shouting from downstairs. 

“Hey Evers, get down here! We have some, uh, questions for you!” shouted the owner of the orphanage.

Molly rushed downstairs and her arms were grabbed, locking her in place. She was then forced to her knees by the two men who grabbed her, reeking of alcohol.

“Molly, you’re such a pretty girl, but you always hide yourself away. Now me and my brothers here want a bit of fun, and you’re just the girl to help us,” Master Johns said with whiskey on his breath. “Hold her down boys, I want first go at this one!” he said as he began to remove his belt.

Suddenly Master Johns was slammed into a wall by a dark blur and a voice shouting “Don’t you touch her!” Gavin stood by Molly with energy crackling around him.

The Johns brothers holding Molly went to grab Gavin. He used the energy around him, electrifying it and blasting the two men towards Master Johns, knocking the two unconscious.

Master Johns stood up and looked at Gavin in horror and disgust. “Freak! That’s what you are Fralix, a freak! That’s all you’ll ever be! No one would ever take in a kid like you! I guess I’m gonna have to teach you about respect, boy!”

Time seemed to slow down around Gavin, energy crackling around him. He ran forwards and grabbed Master Johns, throwing him with full force through the wall. It blasted open and the Master lay on the ground, unconscious.

“Molly, we need to leave. Call the police and tell them what he did. If he tries to say that a ‘boy with super speed’ did this, I don’t think anyone will believe her. I’m gonna go pack a few things,” Gavin said as he dashed back upstairs.

After a few minutes, Gavin returned with two bags and handed one to Molly. “Did you get everything we’ll need?” she said. “Where are we even going to go? It isn’t like we know a lot of people,” 

“I heard that there’s someone in Louisiana like me,” Gavin said hopefully. “Well, not fast like me, but he’s been doing something. People reported that some ‘vigilante in purple’ saved them from muggers. Maybe he’d be willing to take us in, and we could all work together?” 

“Well, I guess that’s a better plan than nothing at all. That’s pretty far though! It may take a while to get there on foot, and I don’t think you can carry me that whole way,” said Molly.

“Then I guess we better get walking.”

“Gavin? Gavin! You’ve been sitting there staring at your food for ten minutes! Eat already!” Molly said impatiently, having already eaten most of her plate.

“Sorry, was just thinking about things. This looks really good actually, remind me what I ordered?” Gavin replied. It felt good to have a real meal instead of snacks from a gas station.

After they had finished eating, they paid the bill and walked outside to find a place to get a few hours of rest. They walked past the convenience store that Gavin had taken the money from, and a man in a trench coat was outside talking to a local officer. He held up a picture of Gavin to the officer, and the officer pointed across the street at the pair of teens. 

“Just keep walking Molly, they have no reason to think that it was us,” Gavin said as he picked up his pace a bit.

“Excuse me, you two. This gentleman would like a word with you,” the officer said as he walked up with the man in the trench coat.

“What seems to be the problem offi-“The man in the coat lunged at him with a knife, tearing his hoodie in yet another spot. Gavin jumped backwards, pulling Molly with him. “You again! Look, I don’t know why you’re after me, but I’m not going with you!”

“Hey now, you can’t just be doing tha-gah!” The man stabbed him in the gut. He fell forwards with blood pooling underneath him.

“Take you? No, I wasn’t sent to take you, Blur. I was sent to kill you,” the man said as he removed his trench coat, revealing familiar black and purple clothing underneath with an SP near the heart. He pulled knives out of the darkness and pointed one at Gavin. “I’m a Shadow Poacher, and you made our list,” he said as he lunged towards Gavin with his knives out. 

Gavin sped off to another alley with Molly in tow. 

“Stay here, I’ll take care of him,” he said, pulling his hood over his head and goggles over his eyes. He then sped back towards the street, where the ‘Shadow Poacher’ was waiting. “Alright, let’s settle this. You against me, no one else.”

“Very well,” Shadow Poacher said. He ran towards Gavin. Just as Gavin charged, the Shadow Poacher shadowstepped.

Confused, Gavin looked around for him. The Shadow Poacher appeared from behind him, kicking him in the back. Gavin quickly turned around to counter, but the man had disappeared again. Focusing, Gavin waited for the next strike. As he heard a rush of wind behind him, he charged the air around him with electricity, stunning Shadow Poacher. Gavin then grabbed the man’s leg and began spinning like a twister, throwing him through a nearby window. The Poacher was stunned, but then shadowstepped away. 

Gavin was about to run back to Molly when he heard her scream from a rooftop. Rushing to it, he saw the Poacher holding Molly by the neck over the edge of the building. If she falls from here it’ll kill her! He thought as he halted where he stood.

“Good Blur, that’s far enough,” he said menacingly. “Here’s what’s going to happen. You’re going to submit, and I’m going to kill you. You do that and the girl lives. If you try anything, she dies,” 

Gavin nodded and kneeled down, holding his hands in the air. Shadow Poacher walked towards Gavin, but used the shadows to keep the arm holding Molly in place. As the man neared Gavin, Molly stabbed the Shadow Poacher’s arm with a knife she had taken while he was distracted and she fell down, grabbing the edge of the roof. 

“Gavin, get him!” 

Gavin’s body crackled with energy, and he ran forward with a burst of speed and delivered an uppercut to the Poacher’s head. Before he was knocked down, he shadowstepped, slamming his fingers down onto Molly’s hands. 

Gavin rushed to help her but Shadow Poacher held him there at the edge through the shadows, and he was forced to watch as she fell. Molly looked up at Gavin and their eyes locked. She mouthed only one word to him, “Run”. Her body crumpled as it hit the ground. Energy exploded around Gavin. He grabbed Shadow Poacher by the neck and charged him with electricity, making his body spasm. Suddenly his body stopped moving, and seemed to fade away into the darkness.

Gavin began to run down to Molly’s body when he heard sirens around the corner, followed by lights and police cars. He took one last look at her and thought of her final words to him, and she was right. If he stayed, they’d think he killed both Molly and the cop. With tears in his eyes, he ran, as fast as he could, faster than he ever had before he hit a brick wall and blacked out.

***

When he awoke, the sun was rising. Gavin stood up and looked around. He clearly wasn’t inside, but on a rooftop. “Hey kid, you alright? I found you unconscious in the middle of the night,” said a deep voice from behind him.

Gavin turned and went to strike when a hand was placed on his shoulder. “Easy, I’m not here to fight you. From what I can tell, you’ve been looking for me for a while now. Do you mind explaining where you came from?” a young man only a few years older than Gavin asked. He was clad in a purple hoodie with a black mask over his eyes.

***

“He just killed her? Gavin….I’m sorry. I wish there was something I could do to help you,” the purple clad man said to Gavin as they sat on the roof. 

“She knew I wouldn’t get to her in time. But I still failed her! She died because of me!” Gavin shouted with tears in his eyes again. 

The man in purple removed his hood and mask, revealing a light skinned African American face and hazel eyes. “Gavin, sometimes we fail, but when we do, we’re left with two choices: either let what happened destroy us, or we pick ourselves up and fight back. If you want, you can stay with me,” he said. “You remind me of someone who I once failed. I had a brother, and….he died. It was my fault, and I ran,” he paused, wiping tears from his eyes. “I ran and left everything behind. I was alone, like you, and I didn’t have anyone to help me. I want to help you in your darkest hour, and maybe we can do some good for the people here in New Orleans,” 

Gavin stood in silence for a moment, thinking about Molly and what she’d done for him. She opened him up, made him better. Maybe he can help me be better as well, he thought. “I’m not sure what to do. Usually Molly had the better ideas, but if she were here, she wouldn’t want me killing myself trying to avenge her. She’d probably just say I was being stupid or something. She saw something special in me, and trying to kill SP would just dishonor her memory. He has to pay for what he did, but not like that. If I stoop to that level I’m no better than him!” said Gavin. 

“Alright, well just think on it. In the meantime, I want to see what you can do. From what you told me, you’re pretty fast. Let’s see just how fast you are. I want you to run at me and hit me with everything you’ve got,” the man said. 

Gavin gave him a confused look, but did as he asked. He took a running stance and sped towards the other man at blinding speeds, but when Gavin went to strike his shoulder, but his strike was parried. Frustrated by this, Gavin went to strike again, only to have the attack blocked. In a final bout, Gavin dashed behind the man and shoved him forwards, letting out a cheer as he did so.

“Not too bad kid, though your first attempt was crap, “the man said. “Sure you’ve got speed, but attacking like that is just going to get you killed. Use your speed to your advantage!”

“Molly mentioned that once after she found out what I could do. She said ‘you have to think faster than someone else,’ Gavin said. 

“Smart girl,” the man said.

“Okay, so you can teach me to fight, but I don’t even know who you are yet. Can I at least get a name?” Gavin asked, taking a seat.

The man looked towards the rising sun for a moment, then turned towards Gavin. “Around here they just call me ‘The Vigilante,’ but my name is Marcus Clay. All I ask is that you give this a chance. With the two of us working here, we can really do something good for this city,” Marcus said.

Gavin looked at the ground, thinking about Molly. Her kindness is what saved him from spiraling into his own darkness. Why was she so good? She was the first to accept me, and she…she gave me someone to love. Molly, I know you can’t hear me, but what am I supposed to do? Do I fight back or just try to let it all go? he thought. He remembered her body falling to the ground, the horror of it all. “She told me to run…but where? Was I supposed to be here?” He wiped a tear from his eye. “Molly was pure. She never turned away from me, even when I was being an idiot. I think…I think I’m staying here Marcus. I don’t know if I can trust you yet, but you seem like you’ve got a good heart, and I can work with that, though you need a better name than ‘The Vigilante’. What about something cool, like ‘Stonewall’?” Gavin said, looking at Marcus.

“Stonewall? Better than the civilian that tried to dub me as ‘The Strongman’. Well, that takes care of me, but what about you? The Kinetic Kenyan?” said Marcus, raising an eyebrow.

Gavin laughed at the memory of Molly calling a similar name too racist. “Well, I’ve been thinking about that. SP kept saying it, so why not ‘Blur?’”

***

“Thanks again, Blur!” the officer said to Gavin. He nodded and the patrol car drove off, leaving Gavin standing in the street.

Marcus leapt off a building and walked towards Gavin 

“Thinking about her again, Gav?” he asked.

“Yeah, but I know she’d be happy if she could see what we do,” replied Gavin. 

“She’d be proud of you, bro,” Marcus put a hand on Gavin’s shoulder and grinned. “Come on, we’ve got somewhere to be.”

“Where? I didn’t hear any sirens or anything,” Gavin said, looking around for flashing lights.

Marcus shook his head. “Nothing like that, but I did catch some guy in cyan stopping a thief a few blocks down. He literally flew in on a gust of wind and slammed the thief into a wall. I spoke with him, and he said he’d wait on the rooftop there while I got you. Think he’d be willing to join us?”

Gavin grinned, and before Marcus could say any more, he sped towards the building in a blur.

*** 

© 2016 Shree Balaji Education


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

107 Views
Added on January 18, 2016
Last Updated on January 18, 2016
Tags: blur, superspeed, superpowers, fantasy, superhero, legion, friendship, lightning

Author

Shree Balaji Education
Shree Balaji Education

Mohali, Mohali, India



About
Shree Balaji Education (Established in 2004) is a premier Coaching center in Chandigarh and Mohali. We offer strategic, guided and organized Coaching to students and working professionals to crack nat.. more..

Writing