The First Few Nights of May (Pt. 2)

The First Few Nights of May (Pt. 2)

A Story by ardor
"

There aren’t enough teen queer romance stories in this world.

"
Sunday morning was rainy and cold, a perfect excuse to wear a cable knit sweater. It went by all too slowly, and when it was time for me to leave, it felt like I had waited ten days.
The cafe was quiet. There was a wall dividing it from the diner, because most of the time cafe goers prefer peace. Joyce hadn’t arrived yet, so I found a booth that was out of the way. Indie music from the 80s’ poured through the speakers, and there were dozens of houseplants scattered throughout the cafe.
I sat there waiting, but not for very long, because Joyce arrived soon after I did. She spotted me right away, and sat down in the booth across from me. She was carrying one of those overpriced backpacks, the Fjallraven Kånken. Those bags were at least eighty dollars a pop, and, in my opinion, not worth the money. But, wow, Joyce was gorgeous.
She wore a black spaghetti strap dress that showed off her curves, and underneath that was a burgundy turtle neck. She had this really distinctive style, sometimes with 1970s’ vibes, other times with 90s’ and early 00s’ grooves. My crush on her was growing by the minute.
“God, I hate the rain,” were Joyce’s words to me. I didn’t mind that she hadn’t said hello. “I need summer!” She stretched out the word “need,” as though she was quite literally dying without the neglective sun.
I nodded awkwardly, watching her hands. They were beautiful, artistic hands with long fingers and manicured nails. When a waitress finally came by to take our orders, I was relieved. I could bury my face in a mug of hot chocolate or a Danish, and try to keep myself from falling in love with Joyce Carrington.
She ordered a chai tea latte, and Iwathed as she pulled out a binder. “So, in my commuications class, we’re supposed to interview the person we’ve chosen,” Joyce explained. I nodded. “Is that okay?”
Clearing my throat while staring into her blue eyes, I said, “Oh, yeah, that’s perfectly fine.”
“Okay. Um, what’s your most embarassing moment?”
I had a lot of mistakes in my past. “Oh, jeez, when I was in fourth grade, right, I was in a dance class- I took contemporary. During our recital, I got in the middle of an argument with this other girl onstage.” I started giggling, and once I started, I couldn’t stop. “It wasn’t anything loud, just whispers, but she was about to do something wrong- or so I thought -and I tried to stop her.” I paused to take a breath, shaky from laughter. “After that recital, I left the dance studio, and I haven’t taken dance lessons since. I was so embarrassed.”
Joyce started. “Did that really happen?”
“Oh yeah, it did. I was never very good at dance, anyway.”
Two and a half hot chocolates later, we were almost done with the interview. “I have one more question for you Kelsey.” Joyce looked almost uncomfortable. “Do you want to meet up again? Not to answer questions about your life for a school project or anything like that. Just, maybe, for fun?”
I swear to you I almost threw up. “Oh, that would be great!” Did I keep my composure? Probably not.
We decided on going out to dinner at the sushi restaurant in town, and I told myself that just because Joyce gave me her number didn’t mean that she liked me as more than a friend. But I hoped it was the opposite.

© 2018 ardor


Author's Note

ardor
Part 2 of probably a crazy amount of parts


I have a lot planned for this story, and I’m sort of excited. It would be great if I could get suggestions for writing in first person, because this is definitely my weak point. Hey, thanks for reading.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is adorable. I like your style, the way you carry the story is soothing. Good ratio between description and dialogue, since a lot of the story is in Kelsey's head. The way you ended the chapter was interesting. Very open-ended with a ray of hope that there may be a spark between them. Looking forward to more chapters!

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ardor

5 Years Ago

Thank you so much for the feedback!! I’m currently thinking up a part 3 so maybe that will be publ.. read more
Nicole

5 Years Ago

Yay! Can’t wait to read it. :)



Reviews

This is adorable. I like your style, the way you carry the story is soothing. Good ratio between description and dialogue, since a lot of the story is in Kelsey's head. The way you ended the chapter was interesting. Very open-ended with a ray of hope that there may be a spark between them. Looking forward to more chapters!

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ardor

5 Years Ago

Thank you so much for the feedback!! I’m currently thinking up a part 3 so maybe that will be publ.. read more
Nicole

5 Years Ago

Yay! Can’t wait to read it. :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

87 Views
1 Review
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 18, 2018
Last Updated on May 19, 2018
Tags: short story, lgbtq, short stories

Author

ardor
ardor

The middle of nowhere, MD



About
when we all looked up we see that twinkle in its fire it says that we deserve what it has in store. it says we brought it on ourselves by, being so self absorbed -Tommy Wallach, Natural Disaster.. more..

Writing
The Void The Void

A Story by ardor