A Night at Raycroft Manor

A Night at Raycroft Manor

A Story by Arya Nichol
"

Set in 19th century England, young Lord Lucian Raycroft is expecting to have a wondrous future with the beautiful Thanera Whitlock, but something is lurking in the dark halls of his manor..

"

The Mid Autumn winds gently blew the freshly fallen leaves around the old Raycroft manor. It had stood on the edge of England’s coast for decades upon decades. It was made of an old stone, stained from the weather and the history it held, a veritable fortress and built like a maze incomprehensible to most except for the Raycroft family, who knew every passage and secret hidden in its old walls. Lucian Raycroft, the latest in this ancient family, observed the falling of the darkness from the comfort of the parlor, his brilliant blue eyes following a few leaves as they danced to a rhythm only they seemed to know.

“Are you done drawing Lucian?” the rhythmic voice drifted in his ears like music. He turned back to face his lovely fiance who sat across from him. Lady Thanera Whitlock was her name. She was a slender figure, a porcelain doll dressed in black satins and velvets. Her dark hair curled softly down her shoulders, her lips were as red as the ruby that hung around her neck, and her eyes were a beautiful honey brown that held the sadness she felt.

“Oh sorry Thanera, I got a bit distracted, it's so beautiful outside.”

“Indeed it is…” Thanera brushed a strain of her black hair behind her ears. Her voice was so wistful.

She remains so beautiful so at ease… he thought to himself, despite our dear friend… her first love Arthur passing into heaven… oh god now many years ago now… 3… He smiled at her.

“How are you feeling?” he asked gently.

“Im alright…” She said sadly,”I don't wish to talk about it,” Lucian nodded. He knew Thanera would say that. She had said that every year since, only she knew what happened that night, but she would never tell.

“Wouldn't it be the perfect night for a seance? Summon some ghosts or ghouls, or maybe summon a relative. Actually I could live without hearing my old aunts ranting ever again.” He commented with a humorous tone. He pulled his pencil across the paper, capturing and immortalizing the ethereal figure of his beloved as she lounged on the fainting couch. She arched a brow at him.

“Do you really believe in such things Lucian or are you trying to be funny?” Thanera asked adjusting the black velvet of her gown.

“It's all in good fun Thanera,” He smiled,” but there are so many things that we don't understand.”

“Oh I know Lucian my dearest. So you believe goblins and ghouls go bump in the night?” she inquired with a slight laugh in her voice, her beautiful brown eyes staring at him with her gentle calm expression.

“Well, maybe not goblins,” Lucian said defensively, at least she doesn't know the truth,

“Or is it vampires?” Thanera’s laugh was like the tinkling of bells. Lucian felt his heart do a joyous flip,

“What would our dear Dr. Clark think of such a train of thought, believing the macabre, ghouls and vampires?” Thanera pushed seeing Lucian’s face gaining some color.

“Well he’ll agree sirens exist. Nothing else could explain his wife’s gifted voice.” Lucian looked at the sketch, and back up at his fianceé.

“I don't think I have had the pleasure of hearing the famed Mrs. Helene Clark sing,” Thanera sat up a bit,”Maybe she will grace us with an aria.”

Lucian nodded in agreement.

“Maybe she-”

“LUCIAN!!!!” Dr. Oren Clark, a lanky gentlemen with a slight tremor, slammed the door to the parlor open,”LUCIAN!!!”

Lucian stood, setting the drawing of Thanera on the table and took hold of his shaking friend’s shoulder,

“Calm yourself Oren! What's wrong?!” Lucian asked trying to calm his friend.

“Are you alright Doctor?” Thanera stood gracefully and came over to him and put a hand on his shoulder.

“ITS HELENE!!!!” He shrugged her hand off,”ITS MY WIFE MY LORD!!! COME WITH ME HURRY HURRY!!!!” Oren grabbed Lucian’s hand and began to drag him down the dark hall. Lucian kept up with him glancing back at his fianceé as she retreated into the parlor.

“Oren what’s going on?” Lucian asked as he ran beside Oren, what in God’s name is he freaking out about.

“I heard her scream… and I found her DEAD SHE’S DEAD LUCIAN!!!” Oren was in hysterics as he pulled the young lord down the twisting halls of Raycroft manor.

“Dead? Are you sure?” He opened a door.

“Oh Im positive. She’s right- MY GOD SHE’S GONE!!” The hall looked out onto the manor grounds, the moon light illuminated the room, there was no sign of Helene, no evidence anyone had touched the room,

“Are… you sure she was dead Dr. Oren…” Lucian asked carefully going to close an open window.

“I’m a doctor Lord Lucian. I would know if my own wife was d-dead… my God she’s dead…”

Lucian felt a chill go down his spine as he glanced out the window, dear God.

“Oren… look… footprints… outside the window…” Lucian took a candle from the holder and held it outside the window to illuminate the lonely grounds.

“You're right.” Oren commented as he came over, observing the foot prints.

“What killed her Oren?” Lucian asked, examining the window.

“Oh Lord Raycroft why the heck did you think I went to get you, a master hunter? It was a nightwalker what else could it have been.”

“A vampire. In Raycroft manor? Oren. This is the home of vampire hunters in England.” Lucian looked at him, dismissing the thought.

“Sometimes a crow can masquerade as a dove,” Oren said,”And she must have invited him in… It's a possibility.”

“You're… Right…” Lucian sighed,”We will need to keep a level head about us. For my lady Thanera’s sake.”

“We should return to her probably, wait Lucian,” Oren took his arm before he returned to the darkened halls,”does she know?”

“About night walkers… no…” Lucian bit his lip,”We shouldn't have left her-”

There was a slow knock that echoed through the manor.

Knock….                   Knock…


Creeeeeeeeak….

Knock….


KNOCK…


“WHAT THE BLOODY-” Oren squeaked.

“It appears we have a visitor…” Lucian grumbled pulling the window close,  reaching in his coat his hand searching for his pistol.

“Maybe they saw what happened first hand!!” Oren exclaimed running down the hall, fueled by hysteria and a will to catch whatever had killed his wife. Lucian ran after the doctor, not noticing his gun falling from his pocket making a dull thud as it hit the ground. Oren threw the door open. He loomed above them, a slender figure illuminated by the candles and the moon. His skin was like porcelain, pale and lifeless, enveloped a black trench coat.  His hair fell in loose ringlets casting dark shadows around his dark eyes, and his suspiciously blood red lips. Oren went to draw his own weapon but to Lucian’s total disdain recognized the man.

“Calm down doctor,” Lucian put a hand on his friend’s shoulder,”I thought you weren't going to grace us with your presence Lord Whitlock.”

“YOU KNOW THAT THING?!” Dr. Clark exclaimed reaching for his gun.

“That thing is Lady Thanera’s elder brother, Lord Laurence Whitlock” Lucian explained, internally cursing her overly protective brother.

“To answer your question my plans changed Lord Raycroft,” Lord Whitlock declared,”and I knew my sister was not doing well today, you know what happened to Sir Arthur.”

”She is doing alright,” Lucian sighed,”She hasnt wanted to talk about his passing…  well don't just stand there come in.”

“Thank you. Now where is my sister,” the massive man came into the manor. Oren glared at him uneasily, Lord Whitlock returned the gesture of distrust. Lucian motioned for them to follow him. They walked along the hall in silence, just their footsteps on the old floor boards their only company.

Creak. Creak. Creeeeeeak.


  Creak.    Creeeak… Creak…

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!


“THANERA!!!” Lucian ran after the blood curdling scream. Thanera was screaming in a hallway a little away from the parlor, a figure swinging back and forth in the air above her. The figure was as white as a ghost. Lucian took hold of Thanera who was still screaming. Oren and Lord Whitlock were right behind Lucian. Oren held up a lantern and they all felt their hearts sink. Swinging back and forth in the slight draft was Helene Clark, her skin was sickly and pale, her once vibrant eyes were glazed over,and yet her dress was a pristine green, like it was brand new. She was loosely suspended by a rough rope that hung around her neck. Thanera was shaking in Lucian’s arms,

“What happened my dearest,” Lucian asked supporting her,”Are you alright?”

“I went looking for y-you and She… she… she…” she stammered as she leaned into Lucian, fainting. Lucian shook her gently.

“Thanera? Thanera?!” Lucian bit his lip as he held her upright, her head resting gently on his shoulder.

“Thanera must have been alarmed by finding a dead body,” Her brother commented looking at his unconscious sister,”I’ll take her back to the parlor…”

“If you insist, I can do it too,” Lucian said hoisting Thanera and her heavy skirts up.

“I Insist.” Lord Whitlock said, taking his sister from Lucian’s arms. He walked away carrying her gently. Oren had sank to his knees gazing up at his wife.

“She… She had just told me she was with child…” Oren mourned,”I lost my wife… and my first born child…”

“What a monster.” Lucian commented,”Taking an expectant mother.”

“Oh cut her down Lucian I can’t bear to see her hang like that,”

He obliged his friend taking a sword from the wall and with one swift motion he cut the rope down and what had once been Helene crumbled in her husband's arms. Oren knelt beside her and gently removed the rope.

“It was definitely a night walker. Look, this looks like a vampire imprint Professor van… what’s-his-name had,”

Lucian knelt down neck to Helene and Oren and looked at the bite, instead of the usual 4 pricks, there were 6.

“This reminds me of something…”

“Wait isn't it like in the category of the legendary vampires? Like Dracula,”

“Yes your right… Wait Caspian. Caspian Nocturne.” Lucian said uncertainly

“You can't be serious, he hasn't been seen or heard of for decades, and that was in Germany.”

“Have you heard of any other vampires with 6 fangs besides a nocturne. I mean who else could have done it, Isolde?”

“Ok Isolde only has been known to go after men. I don’t think she would pull a Carmilla on us. You do have a fair point…” Oren conceded closing his wife’s eyes,”But where would he have…”

He suddenly got up and ran leaving Lucian alone in the dark room. Lucian watched, baffled as he sprinted off,

“What the… why would he just run…” Lucian knelt beside the dead Helene, the 6 fang marks glared up at him.

“6 fangs… This has to…” Thoughts began to flow through Lucian’s mind. Random bits and pieces from his childhood, tales of a vampire clan who lusted only for the most noble of blood, his studies abroad and his years of hunting experience… Skin like porcelain… eyes red as rubies… hair dark as ebony… a lock as white as snow… and lips red as… Lucian stood with the realization that had struck Oren a few moments ago.

Lady Thanera was in danger.


Lucian raced through the darkened halls of the manor, each wall seemed to close in around him, trying to snuff out his only candle which cast long shadows down the hall, all of them closing in and watching the young hunter as he made a mad dash to go to the lady’s aid. The door to the parlor was wide open, Thanera’s scream made Lucian’s heart sink to his gut.

“Thanera!!!” He charged into the parlor. Oren lay in a crumpled heap in the middle of the floor. He shakily turned to Lucian, his eyes bulged and his skin was deathly pale. He opened his mouth to speak but his head slammed down into the ground with a sickening and hollow thud.

“OREN!!!!” Lucian cried out his voice cracking, No!! He can’t be dead! Thanera was pressed against the wall her face was pale for horror of what she had witnessed.

“Oh Lucian!” Thanera’s lower lip trembled,”H-he… that thing… he he he…”

Lucian ran to her from where she was. What if she has been hurt or bitten, Lucian’s mind raced in a panic.

“Thanera are you hurt?!” He looked her over desperately.

She didn’t respond shakily leaning against Lucian. ‘Laurence Whitlock’ was nowhere to be seen. He picked her up and glanced around the room.

“Lucian… h-he left…” Thanera wrapped an arm around his neck,”He left after he… he…”

“Shhh Let me look you over,” Lucian told her sitting down, setting Thanera down next to him. He looked at her neck to see if there was a bite. Thankfully there was no bite. Oh thank God she’s unharmed…. His nerves began to settle. Thanera gazed up at him with her gentle eyes.

“What if he comes back…” Thanera whispered in his ear and she nestled against him uncharacteristically, Lucian gently cupped her cheek in his hand.

“I won’t let him hurt you… ever,” Lucian vowed glancing at his friend. He felt a cold hand brush his hair away from his face and his neck. Thanera gazed into his eyes, those sad eyes gazed into his own brilliant blue.

“Oh you are so brave to face such a creature as Caspian…” She whispered, her voice sickly sweet. His heart began to sink as he saw it, she smiled at him gently, her eyes transfixed him as he saw the honey brown begin to dim and fade from them. He reached desperately in his pockets, looking for anything, a knife? A stake? Where was his pistol?!

“So you do believe in vampires….” Thanera traced a cold porcelain like finger down his cheek, her long fingernails cutting a single line down his face.

“W-who are you and what have you done to Thanera and her brother?!”

The vampire looked at him sadly.

“I am Thanera… at least I have been for the past 10 years… But if you insist you would probably know my brother and I from myth and legend,” She told him savoring the taste of the blood she had licked from her fingers, her eyes were brilliant Rubies, a lock of her hair turned snowy white,

“Isolde… Isolde Nocturne…” Lucian whispered, his gut felt heavy his heart battered by the truth and betrayal.

“What a clever boy…” She smiled leaning closer to his face.

“You know Lucian…” Isolde whispered into his ear, her soft lips grazing his face as she slowly traced down his face towards his neck,”Your blood tastes so sweet… even sweeter than Arthur’s.”

© 2019 Arya Nichol


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I loved the imagery you have going on here. The description of the Manor sounds really pretty. Not only that, but it sounds old, enchanting, and mysterious. Like the kind of place I would want to visit.
I also really liked the dialogue you have going on between the characters. As I read this story, I got a clear idea/understanding of what the order of plot is in this story.

Posted 5 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

79 Views
2 Reviews
Added on April 19, 2019
Last Updated on April 19, 2019

Author