East of the Sun

East of the Sun

A Story by Armistead Lindsey
"

A song acts as but simple transportation

"

I watch the smoke dancing from the end of my cigarette, following the smooth tones of the jazz trumpet. Such simple pleasures to be engaged in, but such immense pleasures they are. I’m no longer sat at my desk, alone and listening to Billie Holidays voice moving my fingers and toes in time with the pianists keystrokes. I’m sat in the cafes of 1933, a chaser of whiskey wrapped in my fingers, my cigarette extended on a dinner length holder that is black in colour but wrapped in brass at the end.


The company here is pleasant, all crafted from displays of laughter and a lack of prerequisite. All are dressed magnificently as if on display for a museum, yet seem so natural within their surroundings. Women adorned with feathered head-dresses, men with pocket-watch chains embellishing their black or grey waistcoats. It is eloquence at its most informal setting.


He asks me to dance and, of course, I oblige, placing my hand in his as I stand. His hand sits softly on my waist with no intention of invading any other part of my space. The singer wraps her voice around my head as I place it upon his chest. Gently we sway, moving our feet but inches from their starting place. The heartbeat I hear twists within the music to form the drummers beat that peaceful taps the music into a more structured time.

‘Blue is your colour my darling.’ He whispers as we move almost cautiously across the floor. I had not even noticed the colour of my dress, yet it seemed so acceptable for it to be blue. No colour could better display the deep feeling of tranquillity I feel in this present reality.


Before the song ends and I can be returned to my seat by this humble and respectful man, I am back at my desk and hear the final tone of Billie Holiday singing the word ‘moon.’


My cigarette, no longer in it’s fine holder, has burned to its tip. My chaser now full of cola showing no signs of that once present whiskey. The company has departed with their own era and I am left to face the screen before which I had been avoiding with much of the disdain all writers face when ideas have dried.

© 2016 Armistead Lindsey


Author's Note

Armistead Lindsey
I am English so certain words may has 's' where American readers expect 'z'. It is correct for England , so please do not comment on that.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very good. I like this idea of being transported back in your mind and you have caught the jazz club ambience superbly! Just a small slip - second last para, it should be 'hear'.
Great work -I will come back for more!
Alan

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

hi

8 Years Ago

i like it, short tho, maybe if it was longer could get a better ideaof what the characters is, i nee.. read more
Armistead Lindsey

7 Years Ago

I appreciate that you may want it all clearly written out for you so you know who's who and what's w.. read more
hi

7 Years Ago

i under stand and good write

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

236 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 15, 2016
Last Updated on April 16, 2016

Author

Armistead Lindsey
Armistead Lindsey

United Kingdom



About
I write for personal expression and share with people who, in many ways, I hope never to meet in person. This is not because people are horrible, but because my writing holds something too personal fo.. more..

Writing