The Big Banyan, The Arambol Soul & The Green Snakes...

The Big Banyan, The Arambol Soul & The Green Snakes...

A Story by Arun Raj
"

A writing about recent expedition which I have made to Arambol - Goa to see the Big Banyan tree, ended up seeing the Big Banyan, the Arambol Soul & the Green Snakes... :)

"

And we set off for the Banyan Tree that day morning …


I have heard about the serenity of Arambol beach before and also about the wondrous Banyan Tree of Arambol. Somehow I was of the impression that the Banyan tree is somewhere by the littoral or near to a lake along the beach stretch, beside and beneath of which people of different color, gender and nationalities, who come to Arambol to awe, to admire and to love the tranquility assembles and does whatever their heart wants. Some in search of peace and happiness, some to fall in love with nature and to revive their spirits and for some others it is a place to take their conscious mind for a psychedelic adventure. The other day when we were in one of those beach shacks with wi-fi facility (the password of that wifi internet connection was pretty interesting - it was "freehugs"), Alex was reading out an internet article about the Arambol Beach and also about the Big Banyan tree. Even though I was listening, I lost the important parts of her narration, I was lost somewhere in my thoughts quaffing a chilled beer, definitely not because of anything hallucinatory in nature. One thing is for sure, Arambol is the most pristine and cloistered beach that I have ever been to in Goa or may be in my life.


We were supposed to wake up before dawn to watch the Arambol sunrise, but the fenny shots and beer we had the previous night made us loose the sunrise. It should be close to 8:30 am when we left our accommodation to see the Banyan tree, after having a cup of tea. Leaving behind us the main long stretch of Arambol beach, we walked in the north direction to reach the short beach, close to the Sweet Lake. We walked around the cliff on the north side of the main Arambol beach separating the long beach from the short one, crossing through the stretch of beach huts, restaurants and shops. The short beach was absolutely awesome, literally pristine and cloistered. On the left hand side it was boundless, rolling and mysteriously vast Arabian Sea. The morning sea was making slow moves of her dance and breeze flew across kept the tempo matching. Again at the north side of the beach stretch I could see a huge cliff, as far as I could remember the peak of the cliff was right vertical to the point where the wrack line and the berm part of the beach joined the cliff, it maintained the same height for some extend to the east direction and then came down gradually, hugging another cliff. The west side of the cliff was stretched into the sea, then it gradually came down in terms of height and kissed the Arabian sea. On the other side, it was the "Sweet Lake". I should say, so called "Sweet Lake". But the lake didn't appear as sweet as the name. I could see garbage being dumped here and there, also near to the shoreline of the lake. The water appeared contaminated to some extend of length, mostly in the area close to the banks of the lake. People running restaurants and beach-shacks close to the area were using the same water for different purposes. There is small cluster of tender coconut trees beside the lake, under those coconut trees beach benches, chairs and beds of small size were arranged for people to relax. That side of the lake was more clear and could be said as in an "OK" condition. This copse of coconut trees should be one of the prime watering hole and a smoking spot when it is the actual season in winter.


Alex, she is so obsessed and in love with the seas. Right from the moment she messaged about her Indian trip, she was all excited about sea swimming. She is a confident swimmer, possessing good level of skills & techniques. Promise was given to her that she will be taken to dance with the dolphins and to feed breakfast for the whales. And in Arambol, finally it was the day for her to embrace the great Arabian sea. Unfortunately for her, I am the worst cohort she could ever get to swim with. I am not at all a confident swimmer and to be honest, my swimming distance is restricted to few meters, a skill which I have gained after tedious swimming pool sessions. I am uncomfortable in the sea after a certain length of stretch from the shore. But I enjoyed it up-to the point where I could stand on my feet touching the ground, playing the waves and bit of amateur swimming which I could do. Alex just went into the sea like a mermaid of some kind, swam over and beneath the waves. I sat on the beach-bench, watching the beautiful sea and Alex the mermaid. On the far right of the beach near to the cliff, I could sea a couple doing yoga, they were practicing different postures of yoga, right under the morning sun and by the beach. Two other men also joined them after sometime. Alex took a break from her tango with the waves, and then we together observed those yogis close to the cliff and their different postures. The female yogi was trying to do a handstand, she was not successful for initial few attempts and then she made it. Later I also made it to the sea, she said the waves are really OK and those are the right kind of waves for an amateur like me. I made it to the point till I could stand, but still some of the waves lifted me off from the sea floor and rolled over me for few seconds till I had my feet back on the ground. Hearing my problems with swimming, Alex was trying to give me lessons which I should be practicing to be a good swimmer,basically about how to overcome the fear of swimming in the sea, how to keep buoyancy, building strength and stamina, also about different floating techniques. She also pulled some tricks out of her bag to entertain, I call the first one "evil-dead face". She ducked down into the water, after a few seconds when she emerged above the water, she managed to have line of big wave crossing over her head. She had her wet and soaked locks covering her face, she made a zombie like pose accompanied by a creepy voice. Her looks reminded me the "evil-dead" movie poster and that was a lighter moment to laugh. Next trick she showed was bit more complicated, it was quite impressive stuff though. She did a handstand on the sea floor, with only her legs above the water. She held herself in the same position for few seconds, one or two repetitions followed. We turned suspicious over a lady who got dressed up like she was one among the extra artists of the movie "the pirates of Caribbean", walking round the beach bench where we have kept our bag and other properties, we decided to put an end to our swimming episode. Then we had our breakfast, she tried to order North Indian breakfast which she always preferred but as it was end of the season none of the dishes which she ordered were available (the shop was about to close next day) and she had to be contented with an "English Breakfast" (It is so strange, you are in India and you will not get an Indian dish you order for but an "English Breakfast"). I made myself happy with "Bread & Omelet". Later we added, a Bloody Mary cocktail and also beer to our breakfast.


The way to Big Banyan


It was almost noon when we resumed our stride for the Big Banyan Tree. Arambol was fuming under the blistering mid-day sun. We went beside the cluster of coconut trees and reached the cliff bottom. After few initial small steps of climbing, right there in front of us lays the trail which will take us to the Banyan tree. According to my knowledge and belief, the vegetation which I could see around the cliff was of tropical evergreen or semi-evergreen category. On both sides of the narrow trail, there were mangrove trees, plants and bushes of different kind which are basically the common ones which could be seen in a tropical evergreen or semi-evergreen forest and there were also so many indigenous species of plants which composed to make a beautiful green vegetation. The narrow trail has got all the characteristics of rocky and craggy condition, the elongated and drown out roots crossed the trail at some of the spots. When you walk down the trail, for most of the length it was covered with branches of trees and leaves crossing above your head. Within initial few minutes itself, I realized that this trek is different and we all are living in a beautiful globe. To the Banyan tree it is almost 30 minutes walk and on the right hand side still we could see the sweet lake. We both stood for a minute to watch the lake from that angle and to have a close look at one of those mangrove trees, which has got extended branches. I still had a bottle of beer in my hand, it always helped me to keep the cadence. I had my last sip of beer from the bottle, I usually makes it a point that I don't litter these bottles around. But then because of some reason, I placed the empty bottle by the bottom of the tree. And then I could hear an "Ahhh...." sound from behind. Alex was disappointed with my act of placing or in a way littering the beer bottle there. I said "sorry" and tried to justify my unconscious act with different reasons. She opened up her "mysterious" black leather handbag and offered a space for my empty beer bottle in that. She carried the black bag all the times and all the while, it was like part of her body, all her essentials from money to mobile phone, from camera to makeup pack, boarding passes to ferry tickets were there inside the "mysterious" black leather handbag and I liked the way she carried it, it appeared to me as a perfect match for her stature, walk and style.


The walk towards the Big Banyan Tree took me by surprise, as I mentioned I was expecting a Big Banyan tree by the beach with loads of people beside and beneath it. I was enjoying the walk, the nature, the wilderness and the good company of Alex. She said me, when she made her first expedition to the Big Banyan she was with her two other American friends, they made the trip in the late afternoon, after spending sometime by and around the tree it was almost dusk when they returned back. She said it was complete darkness and they couldn't see anything, they didn't had a torch even. They got connected to each other by holding hands and slowly made their descend, she said it was a scary experience to take a walk like that through the small jungle. There is a rivulet, coming down from some point in the mountain, flowing through the cliff bordered by rock banks and it met the sweet lake down the line. We made a small deviation from our path and moved forward towards the banks of the stream to have a close look. In the area where there was water, it was stagnant in state, rest of the part of the rivulet was dry and we could see the rocks in the the stream path, which usually should be lying beneath if the rivulet was flowing full. Some part of my mind was imagining, how beautiful and splendid the stream would be when there is water, gushing through the rivulet veins, splashing across those rocks lying and being a babbling brook.


We resumed our journey towards the direction of the Banyan tree, the trail was visible and its state said that it is often used. But in the time we decided to go, when the summer is at its peak, the number of people taking an expedition for the Banyan Tree should be limited, In the actual winter season the state of the trail will be definitely different with more people flowing up in the opposite direction of water in the rivulet. At some of the parts, the trail gives out itself some branches in different directions, but it is unlikely for you to loose the route unless you are that drunk or high on something which could impair proper functioning of your senses. We pushed ourselves further through the route and at one point, we could smell burning weed in the air. The notoriously familiar and kind of skunk smell, which you cannot escape from if your in beaches of Goa, caught both of our attention immediately. Somebody is burning some good weed and taking their soul for a swing. Right in the middle of the rivulet, on one of those dry rocks, we saw two guys sitting and enjoying the marijuana smoke. Us and them exchanged our looks for some seconds and then we continued the walking. She said me, "right there is the mud-pond". It was few meters behind where the two guys were sitting and enjoying weed. For rivulet in that part, there was an upper stratum wherein the water has got some movement and the running water came down through and between pile of really small rocks which you see in these types of rivulets or streams. And water at the base layer again appeared stagnant to me. Near to the banks of the stream, as like an extension to the rocks, we could see clay or mud in light yellowish or brown color, and it says this sulphurous mud is really good for the skin. People come to the mud-pond, get themselves covered with this mud all over their body and soon when the clay gets dried off it will form a shell or layer over the body and it is a kind of natural spa or natural skin treatment. It should be kooky when people go naked (
or may be half-naked) and get themselves covered with the mud, walking and running all around in the jungle, smoking weed or hash, drag-in coke, GHB, Big H, Big O, Elvis (LSD), Meth, Ecstasy, Steroids or any dirty stuff which can get them down or high and excited or animated. Drinking hell lot of beer and obviously fenny. We decided to step down and check the mud-pool on the way back, she wanted to try her hands on the magic clay of the mud pool.


The Snake Syndrome


We continued our stroll towards the Big Banyan, I was walking in the front and she was behind, we were talking about different topics and was going easy. Around my shoulder I was carrying her big towel and was free. She was carrying her "mysterious black leather bag" in one hand and a bottle of drinking water on the other. I was keeping my eyes on the trail, and few meters ahead I saw something moving from one edge of the trail to the opposite. I could see something slithering across the trail and it went into the bushes. I was numb and all my senses got terminated for few seconds, and then when my brain regained its functional capability it said " You f*****g idiot, what you just saw was a f*****g snake. Turn back, grab her hand and f*****g run for your lives". The scene got rewinded and played for few times somewhere in my mind. It should be some like between 3 to 4 feet long and the in the middle the diameter of its body could be like 3/4 inch or 1 inch. As far as I could remember, it was green in color and it was shining when the sun-light hit its back. I didn't get a clear view of its head but its body was there imprinted right on my pounding heart and the same image can gift me sleepless nights. I don't know whether it is venomous or not, but I saw a stupid f*****g snake. I am sure that she didn't see the snake, she was still saying something. I don't want to die inside a small Goan jungle, bitten by a stupid snake with green lines on its back, suffering for long in the painful psychedelic trip of its venom and at last succumbing to death, later turning myself into a stinking carcass. Anything which is psychedelic is not good for my brain and my body, those once in a blue moon psychedelic experiences I had never gave me a great feeling, in fact it always pulled me down from the emotional line I was holding onto. I am keeping my body, brain and all my system out from anything of psychedelic in nature for quite a good long period of time and I want to keep the same status forever, I never want to break it. And I seriously I don't want a stupid serpent to break it. I better die in a road accident in Cochin while speeding to office, death should be instant and beautiful. Or else if I take it to the extreme and wildest of my imagination, I should die in such a way which my friends could remember while boozing and can boast off about my death, a parachute failure while sky-diving. Even though it is highly unlikely to happen and there is a delay factor involved of few minutes from the sky to the ground, this one could be the proudest, colorful and most exciting end. People could say "WOW" - "such an awesome death". But surely not because of stupid green snake or getting drowned.


I literally had my heart in my mouth, I turned back to her and said, "Alex..... I saw a snake".
Oh...Really!!! Where??
Ahead on the trail, it was crossing the trail and I really
saw it. "F**k"
Are your sure it was a snake?
Yes, I am sure. It was a snake, big and long enough and was green in color. Ahh...


I looked at her eyes and paused for some seconds. Looking back at the trail ahead again I asked the most weird question that someone could ever ask his female travel companion. But I did not wanted to die, so I asked.


Do you really want to continue???”
Within split of a second,came her answer.
Yes, we could go ahead. It's OK, it's alright”.
“Ahhh...
I don't want to hide and be dopey, I am petrified of snakes and there is nothing much we could do if I gets bit by one...” I said.

Come On, it is really OK. We will watch our steps and go forward, snakes will never bite you unless and until you tread on one or else you do something which could make the snake feel that its life is in danger”.


At last I made up my mind and decided to walk. She was like more eager to see a snake than the Banyan Tree. For the moment I was concentrating only on the trail, no where else or the nature around. She then gave me a Herpetology session, about snakes and snake behavior from her knowledge. According to her, all other species of snakes are OK and could not be dangerous unless and until, you tread on one or try to harm its life, except for a "King Cobra" and "Sea Snake". If you ever gets kissed by these two species of snakes, its like you getting your "death warrant - signed, sealed and delivered". According to her theory, King Cobra is the only snake in the land which we should be afraid of as it is so aggressive and when it comes to water it is the Sea-Snake.


"Pythons are not that dangerous, but they can coil around and squeeze you to death"
. Alex made her statement.


We had several other topics to discuss, including our plan for Anjuna that night. But somehow everything ended up with snakes. She continued, back in UK one of her friend has a pet snake, her friend plays with it, poses for pictures with it and it was so casual inside the room. Alex had handled the same snake on few occasions. (
Pets are for fun, happiness and recreation, how could someone make a snake her pet and what kind of happiness could cruel and arrogant looking face of a snake could give to someone's mind, I was thinking). In Cochin we found a snake under the cooking gas cylinder at my friend's home and I ran miles at the first sight. My another friend was so cool and calm with snakes, he moved the cylinder aside and beat the snake right on the head with a small piece of log he found there around. I came forward to have a close look of the snake after ensuring that it was dead when my friend held the snake upside down after killing it. It's skin was beautiful, it had silver lines and diamond shapes on its back and my friend said, "if you gets bitten by this one, better to call your girl friend (if you have one) or family and hold-up a metalhead sign to bid adieu rather than making efforts to reach hospital". I remember, that night I was thinking about umpteen number of cigarettes we all smoked sitting on top of and beside the cylinder, cricket and football matches we have watched inside the same house, booze parties we had in there. Ahh..... we all better die of that gas cylinder exploding while lighting a cigarette, than getting bitten by a small Marilyn Monroe or Lady Gaga with sliver lines and diamonds on its skin. And according to Alex the snakes, should not be killed, its not right to kill them.


After-all, What these species of snakes are for?? I asked her.
She said,
they are nice and beautiful,they play an important role in the ecological-chain. The eat rodents and other pests.
My fear was conspicuous to her and she asked, Should I walk ahead of you??
And my ego overcoming and pushing behind fear of my rational mind said,
"No, its OK. I will go first". (Let me take the first bite)


For me snakes are always superfluous creatures, a kind of strange life which can kill people or even elephants with its venom. They don't do anything great other than hiding around in different places, hanging on trees and do the killing on the basis of some crazy stimulus triggered from some part of their small lunatic brain. I am conditioned in such a way that, snakes are something which I should be always afraid off and when I see a snake, I should turn around and run, unless and until I am seeing any species of them inside a cage in the zoo or in a glass tank. I have curiously watched some of those snake shows in the Discovery & NGC channels but none of these shows have helped me to overcome the fear marked by those ludicrous and senseless snake films I have seen. I have seen snakes before on different occasions and on all those occasions I was going through the same feel. They are terrible and obviously stupid.


The Big Banyan


We walked again for next 10 to 15 minutes or so and Yes, I was nervous and I did not want to see any of those slithering creatures again. Walking down the trail, we took a turn to the right and the spot was bit rocky. There is a small gap between the cluster of small indigenous rocks. I guess, when the rivulet is full,there should be water flowing through the narrow gully. We had to make a casual jump to land on the other side and we had to walk up a small steep to reach the plain ground and then I heard she saying...


"There is it, the Big Banyan"


I looked up and tried to see what is around and the Big Banyan. I could see trees around and initially I was not able to recognize which one among those trees is the famous Big Banyan. When I looked at her, she was looking up at one to our left and it is a Banyan tree. For initial few minutes, I was wondering why it is called as the Big Banyan. The trunk of the tree appeared as in normal size to  me  compared with Banyan trees of similar species or family and age, I have definitely seen Banyan trees with trunks much big in diameter size than this. Carried away by the name Big Banyan, I was expecting the main trunk to be so huge in diameter size that it require minimum of 6 to 8 people holding hands around to circle it. Then I tilted my head bit more up and then I realized which it was called as the Big Banyan, the matter was not with the roots or the trunk, it is with the head of the tree. It has spread about laterally and was covering a vast area, the aerial prop outs, the branches, the leaves, everything together was like a big umbrella and it was so nice to be under it. Calm, Refreshing and Rejuvenating. Considering the age of the tree, the aerial prop out has grown in the dimension of length and was dangling down from most of the parts of the tree. Some of the aerial prop outs have touched the ground dangling down and roots have gone into the ground. Close to the central trunk aerial prop outs has grown into kind of thick trunks and in the first sight these thick trunks are indistinguishable from the main central trunk. These trunks were connected with the central main trunk in one way or the other. Right next to the central trunk, there were two other trunks smaller in diameter when compared with the big one, these trunks too had strong roots and several aerial prop outs. The branches and the aerial prop outs twined together and had grown out in every possible direction, when your look the formation it was like a labyrinth or maze and I was convinced, indeed it is a Big Banyan.


The Arambol Soul


Near to the tree, up on the small boundary wall which is cut out off from the cliff itself we could see one or two big traveling backpacks, a portable tent used by travelers and a can of water and few other stuffs. We were wondering whether there is anyone around. And then we saw him...


She said, "Hello"


When I turned in the same direction, I saw an old man, definitely looking like an Indian but has a kind of white skin, with long white beard and hair, wearing a white dhoti and he said back "Hello"


Can we come in ? She asked.


He said, "Yes, Sure".


We went around and reached him. The ground was even and almost in the form of a circle. He was sitting on his bed laid right under the reviving shade of the Big Banyan tree. He has his traveler bed and a pillow, behind and beside him there were bottles of different size and shape - some of them had water and some of them were empty, there were also a bag of wheat or rice flavor, one or two packets of chilly or turmeric powder, half cut onion, pictures and idols of different Hindu Gods behind him - some of these pictures and idols were placed on the roots and aerial prop outs of the Banyan tree and there were artificial flowers of green, white and red color placed on the tree. There was another plastic fiber mat beneath the two small trunks of the Banyan tree of his left and there was an other mat on the opposite side close to the small cliff wall surrounding half the circle below the Banyan tree. Up and above, between the second and third trunk of the Banyan tree someone has tied a cloth banner with picture of Siva or some Goddess on it (I cant really remember which picture was it, I believe I am developing Alzheimer's), he later said to us that it was tied by some Russians. On his bed I could see a flute, a cigarette lighter and his few other stuffs which I couldn't figure out. He allowed us to sit down and we started to talk.


Right at the center of the ground beneath the Banyan tree there is fire pit in circle shape. It was not smoking but it was partly filled with the ash. The old man said that, he fire the pit every night. I was imagining the happening time when there are people around, all of them sitting around the fire pit, smoking hell lot of marijuana or hash, or whatever the crazy drugs they could administer for the psychedelic feel. Playing music, singing loud, dancing crazy, having fun, may be fighting and obviously some into sex. Definitely this place could be a "Hippie Paradise".


(
I have got a strong feeling that I am developing Alzheimer's, It's been close to a month since I made my the Goa trip and I trying to recollect things while I am writing this and I hope I am right in what I am putting down here). The old man in white dhoti, with white long beard and hair introduced himself as "Bolenath" to us. He said, he is living in Leicester - UK. He was born to Indian parents and they later settled-down in the UK. He was wearing a long traditional Indian necklace. His appearance, his talk and his gestures told to me that he could be a pothead and definitely one among those genuine Goa loving hippies. He continued his story, he said he is so crazy for Arambol and he is doing this Goan expedition (or may be pilgrimage in his terms) for the last 42 years (Overwhelming !!!). He asked us whether we had cigarettes to share, and we had to disappoint him. He continued and said, right under the Banyan tree is the only place in this whole wide world where he could be happy. He comes in every winter and he goes back to UK during the start of the summer. He said, he feels really sad and depressed when he is back at his home and he eagerly waits for next winter to come to push off for Arambol and to be under the Banyan tree. He said he is not interested to go to any other place in Goa than being under the Banyan tree. Even though we were settled under the Banyan tree, I was still in jitters, the  image of snake slithering was coming to my mind again and again. To make myself easy, I shared the story of snake with Bolenath, expecting an answer from him like....


We saw a snake on the way to here, one with green lines on its back.


"Oh, you saw a snake?? Unbelievable, I have been here for these many years and people run naked around here, none of them have seen a single one yet. You must have mistaken".


But I was frozen hearing his reply.


"Yeah, snakes are all around here. It is very casual, you could see it anywhere. There are venomous and non-venomous species, at times they used to slither right into the center, I take them on a stick and place them back into the forest. You see that small holes back there (he was pointing to the holes between small rocks which made the cliff wall of the circle), the snakes used to be in there when it is raining and moves around here quite often". I didn't know what to say and how to respond. I was almost done. I have heard that snakes will escape when they sense human movement but I was not sure about it and still there is "King - Cobra" which could kill an elephant with a kiss. I was trying to regain my composure and was searching for topics to chat on.


But he suddenly said,
"there are Anacondas and Pythons too in this forest"


F**K ME.... I was getting myself prepared for my own funeral.


Anacondas & Pythons....... This guy should be insane after all the umpteen lunatic-psychedelic swings he had in Goa for days and nights for all these years.
Does the species of Anaconda exist after all? I was thinking. But Pythons could be there, even if they don't kill you with venom, they could give you piercing and painful bite and squeeze you like lemon halves. I prefer to get raped by a Python, than kissed by a Viper or King Cobra


According to Alex, the people from the UK are like a virus infestation. Her hypothesis says, they could be anywhere you go and they are the easily found species in this world. I was bit skeptic about her theory, but when I found an UK citizen (
even though he was of Indian origin) with an Indian visa for 10 years right in the middle of a forest in Goa under a Banyan tree, I thought may be her hypothesis is right to an extend. Then it was the British people talking and me the Indian listening. They talked about their native places, the distance between the native places and some other UK stuffs which I did not understand. Then he continued his story and said he lives with his mother, he does some work at times and gets helped by his siblings to make the money for Indian trip each year. This year to make the money, he had to sell off his car. He said the penultimate night, he was beaten down and robbed by a group of thugs at dead of the night. They beat him and pushed him down, they looted all his valuables and his money. I had my own doubts with his story, but later he showed us his bruises and wounds and I had to believe it. He said he was outnumbered by them, they were drunk and all high, and to save his life he didn't resist. He said, he was supposed to go back by the beginning of April. But his friends planned to join him for a North India trip, so he decided to stay back. He said he regret the decision now and he is waiting for his friends to come. He said someone used to bring him food by around 3 p.m in the evening everyday, that was his breakfast, lunch and dinner, only one meal for the day. In between the conversation, he was repeating the incident of he getting looted few times.


The old man then came back to the Arambol story and the Banyan tree. He happened to say that, he and his two other friends, one a French man and other one from Israel I believe (i don't exactly remember, Alzheimer's is killing me) were the ones to discover the Banyan tree. And that was a shock to me, because the other day when Alex was reading about the Banyan from an article in the internet, it was given like the Banyan tree was first found by an Israeli tourist when he did a lone trekking into the forest. The old man said, they did an adventurous hike across the cliff and reached the spot. Adding to my suspicion, it skipped out of his tongue that when they reached the place, there were hippies around in the area, under the tree and close the rivulet. Living the real hippie like life, with or without cloths, but definitely on drugs and music, with hell lot of kids around. (
You are caught old man if you guys were here first, then how come you guys spotted the hippies !!!), we had that question at the back of our mind but we didn't ask. He said that, the French man later got married to a filthy rich Japanese woman and he is living a rich and spoiled life now. The Israeli guy passed away some years back. He said he still has many friends, whom he met right under the Banyan tree. Alex is a natural skeptic, I have watched her face changing many times in suspicion, with her forehead shrinking, eye-brows raised and blue iris vivid and dilated when she is been told something which she cannot believe or understand according to her logic and thinking. She was even skeptic about the Indian medicine which I suggested to buy when she was sick because of food upset the first day, she said she was wary about the medicine [Still I don't know whether she was actually wary about the medicine, or she don't trust the Indian medicines or myself ;) ] She had once told me during our trip to Munnar Hill Station, "traveling to these many countries and these many places, sometimes alone, you have to be skeptic to some extend and it is very important. You cannot take people for granted and believe all things they say. It could lead to exploitation and you could end up in trouble". She gave the intro to old man, "Sorry, I am being a natural skeptic, I have few questions...." Honestly I cannot recollect the rest of the conversation for the moment (Alzheimer's!!!). The old man was narrating about the ages where there was only bullock carts for transportation from Anjuna and Tivim. He said, those days were golden and awesome, it was the real Goa and real Arambol. Now it is just all business and mafia...


Somehow for sometime, I got the snake part out of my mind. Alex, then decided to be a white monkey and she wanted to climb the tree. The white old man said, "Go Ahead". She then, pulled herself up between the thick aerial prop out roots of the Banayan tree and climbed a bit, she was only able to make a bit of progress and was not able to go beyond some point, she found herself a seat there and was speaking from heaven with both of us below. I decided to let her do the crazy act and continue the conversation with Bolenath, may be I will join her after sometime climbing the tree, if at all my mind wants to do it. He said, so many people climb the Banyan tree, especially ladies and kids, they are good climbers. He said he could remember a Mexican woman and later an Israeli lady climbing and covering most part of the tree, those two were the ones who have gone the furthest and successful. He also added that, there was an incident of one man dieing on the ground falling from the Banyan tree years back. He said people use the young aerial prop outs to climb and then swing from one branch to the other."Crazy People" - He added. In between the conversation he was saying about an other man, who lives at some point down and close to the rivulet, in a tent. The white monkey made her way down struggling a bit and joined us back. We again came back to the part of he getting looted and loosing his valuables including his mobile phone and money.


Hopefully you have not lost your passport, I guess? She said.


No, I has it. He replied.


Oh, Good. Otherwise it would have been a big disaster!!!


He said,
"I have a friend, who has lost his passport and everything. He accidentally killed an other guy in the midst of a fight. I gave him room to hide in here for some period of time and later he was also given another place in the mountain to live his absconding life. No one could find that place in the mountain, its all safe there". As per words of Bolenath, later somehow his friend arranged an other passport and fled the country ( I hope that's how that story ended, Ahh.... Alzheimer's).


We spend some more time in there. I was sitting right at the center, beneath the Banyan tree close to the fire-pit circle, surrounded by snakes and in the company of a white mermaid with black leather bag and an old man with white beard. My mind was fully occupied with different thoughts, not necessarily of snakes but of different topics, I was wondering about what had happened to me? why am I turning so boring and keeping myself deprived of fun? why am I not completely into my present part of my life? why I am pulling myself back from some adventure during sea swimming and being an Indian monkey climbing the tree? (
In my past I have done all these in all the stupid ways and have enjoyed it to the core). I was confused about different thoughts of different kinds coming into my mind. Am I giving happiness and good time to the people around me? my family? my friends? Why I always get confused about it? Alex had taken the trouble to get a few days off from her Mumbai schedule, leaving behind her friends and fun to come to Goa as per our plan. I sometimes say to Alex, "I hope I am not spoiling your holidays !!!". My mind is slowly getting meta-morphed to some kind of vapid stuff with all these thoughts boiling and spoiling the happy state it should be in. Why it is so vulnerable? May be I should be opening up and speaking my mind to get relieved.... I miss my father, he was all my courage and happiness. The calmness beneath the Banyan tree, I had always felt that when I was with him. I miss him and my Banyan tree is gone.


It was time for us to leave, saying good-bye to Bolenath and The Big Banayan Tree. Bolenath told us that he will be also leaving the place in few days. Saying adieu we left the Banyan tree and Arombol Soul behind walked down the trail, on the way back we were sharing our skeptic thoughts about Bolenath and the stories he narrated to us, especially about his claim that he and his friends were the first one to discover the place and also about he getting beaten and looted, the penultimate night. We discussed our analysis and findings, about he himself admitting that there were hippies around when they reached the place, so his claim for he and his friends to discover the Banyan tree will not stand. We were not able to take a final call on his claim of being manhandled and looted. Yes, we didn't believe the same story to the full but his wounds and bruises said us that it could be true. Both of us had thoughts about helping him with some amount of money, but somehow for some reason we both didn't do it. There could be other reasons for his wounds and bruises, no one on earth wants ever to get exploited with a lie or a false reason and after-all we are sparing some money we saved through hard-work. We could spend it for some good reason in Goa but not for a lie of an old man with white beard.
Definitely there was a feeling inside my mind saying he could be true... Dilemma.


I walking first and bit cool this time, may be because of the Big Banyan Effect. Again I saw something ahead, slithering to bushes. F**k... its a snake again. This one is bit smaller than the first one I saw, definitely of the same species and it also had green color and lines on its back. It's back was gleaming against sunshine. I said,
"Alex.... snake, look snake". I was so sure that she didn't see the first one and this one she saw it for sure. She was excited and animated, she was watching the slithering snake closely. My thoughts were running, about the psychedelic snake venom getting injected through my flesh and gushing through all my veins, reaching all parts of my body, heart and brain. Showing me way to the blue-heavens, cutting out my senses one by one, making me paralyzed and frozen, pulling me down to death, when I didn't even know that I am dieing.


I was saying....
F*****g Snake.....


Then I heard Alex saying,
"Wow, beautiful creature!!!"


Again I was pushed to an uncomfortable feeling seeing the stupid green snake. Every piece of movement and sound in side the forest, appeared and sounded to me like a slithering snake. Somehow I regained my composure and placed my each step carefully, our conversations again came back to the topic of snakes. Walking down the trail we reached the mud-pool, Alex wanted check it out and try some clay on. I was not excited about the mud part, I already have a dark-brown skin and I did not wanted to make it more dark with the mud on. She crossed the rivulet and reached the other side, right beside and above those rocks at the banks of rivulet, there is mud. She swiped some clay with her hand from rock surface and started applying it on her forearms. She just wanted to test it, so she tried it only on the forearms. The clay was wet and when it gets dried off, it will make a shell or layer above the skin. We had to push off for Anjuna that afternoon, so we decided not to spend too much of time by the mud-pool. She washed the clay off with the running water and she jumped back to the other side where I am standing, she made a slip and fortunately was not hurt.


Walking down the trail we at-last reached the mangrove tree which we saw on the way up and below we could see the sweet lake. I could hear people talking and I saw a couple down at that part of the sweet lake, hugging themselves close, skin to skin, face to face, enjoying the time and privacy. Their state and emotions said, they will definitely go further driven by their passion and desire right there in the sweet lake water. It was much of a relief for me to see human beings again (though in about to mate condition), than the green snakes. I don't know whether these couples have noticed the garbage dumped by the shore and contamination of the lake before they plunged in. Love makes peoplen blind. We continued our walk and reached the base of the cliff.


I said,
"Alex, thanks for showing me the Banyan Tree and the green snakes. It was hell of a trip..."


She smiled and said,
"You are welcome".


What if I got bit by one, what would you do? I asked her.


She said,
"I will tear off some cloth or find a twine, will tie a knot few inches above your wound. Will try to squeeze out some blood to get much of the poison out. And then I will run and find some help to carry you down for treatment".


(
And I would be frozen and dead when you are back; I might be watching a Manchester United game from the heavens). I was thinking at the back of my mind.....






© 2014 Arun Raj


Author's Note

Arun Raj
Hi... request you to leave me a review. Thanks for reading :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1124 Views
Added on May 28, 2014
Last Updated on May 28, 2014

Author

Arun Raj
Arun Raj

Cochin, India



About
I am just an insane story teller... May be I should rephrase the last sentence, "I wanna be an insane story teller" more..

Writing