Offerings

Offerings

A Story by Ashley Laren
"

Free verse poem of love based on flowers and their meanings

"

Flowers and their meanings:

Red Roses: love, longing, desire, and admiration

Aloe: healing, protection, and affection

Sunflowers: loyalty and longevity


 ☆     ☆     ☆     ☆     ☆     ☆     ☆     ☆      ☆    

For years on end, I found myself lying on a bed of red roses pulling them one by one from my bed springs and laying them at the feet of each passing face.  I never understood why the roses exposed their thorns to pierce through my skin when these passing faces would trample the roses delicate, red petals.  My courage to continue offering up the flower drowned in the pool of blood forming at the source of my wounds.  I pulled every last petal off of their delicate stems and trampled them just as did the others who had received my offering.  I replaced every last red rose with plants of aloe.  I never laid aloe down at the feet of every passing face, but opened them and let their blood ooze out and pour into my wounds.  The aloe continued to ooze for years on end as I trampled others offerings of red roses.  Their hearts never bled like mine and their skin was never pierced.  With my rejection came a withholding of roses until they could offer them up to another wandering and lonely heart.  Aloe continued to surround my heart and taint my bloodstream until a once passing face became one of familiarity.  I received gifts of radiant Sunflowers which I began to hesitantly accept.  Yellow Sunflowers laced my golden locks and cushioned my every step as I began a new journey.  I could find comfort in the Sunflowers they had brought to me as the aloe I once cherished started to wilt.

© 2015 Ashley Laren


Author's Note

Ashley Laren
Reviews and constructive criticism are much appreciated, thank you!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like your story very much, and it seems that it contains overtones of emotional pain and loss.

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

90 Views
1 Review
Added on July 25, 2015
Last Updated on July 25, 2015
Tags: Flowers, love, free verse, poem, beauty, nature, healing, symbolism, romance

Author

Ashley Laren
Ashley Laren

About
My name is Ashley and I am 18 years old. I like to write poetry, fantasy, fiction and horror mostly but am always looking to explore new genres to write about. more..

Writing
Silence Silence

A Story by Ashley Laren