Roof Replacement Costs: Four Ways To Save Money (And Two Ways You Shouldn’t)

Roof Replacement Costs: Four Ways To Save Money (And Two Ways You Shouldn’t)

A Story by Ashley Brook
"

A Blog For Roofing Installation Tips

"

Finding out you need a new roof is hardly welcome news. It will cost several thousand dollars for even the most inexpensive materials. But since putting it off is even more expensive in the long run, you’ll have to do it eventually. The following four tips can help you save money on roof replacement costs and we’ll also go over a couple of money saving tips you shouldn’t try.

Do Your Homework

Acquaint yourself with average roofing costs. When you’ve decided on a material, you can calculate the cost for materials by estimating the square footage of your roof. If you have a ballpark estimate of what a new roof should cost, you will be better able to judge the fairness of an estimate from a contractor.

Shop Around

Speaking of roofing estimates, get lots of them. At least 3 or 4 and preferably more. Estimates are free and the more you have the less likely you are to go with a bid that’s too high or suspiciously low.

Good Timing

Roofers are typically the busiest in the late summer and fall getting roofs ready for winter. During their offseason in late winter and early spring, you may be able to negotiate for a lower price.

Use Your Insurance If Possible


If your existing roof was damaged in a storm as opposed to just regular wear and tear or neglect, your insurance company may pay for some or all of the replacement cost. You pay for insurance so you might as well let it pay for your new roof when possible.

Two Shortcuts To Avoid

There are some money-saving roof replacement tips that you shouldn’t try even if you hear others advocating them.

Replacing your roof yourself is never a good idea unless you’re a trained roofer yourself. DIY roofing is never covered by the manufacturer’s warranty and you risk serious harm to yourself and your home.

Installing a new roof on top of an existing one may save you money initially but down the road your roof is far more likely to have problems and repairs will be more costly because roofers have two layers of materials to deal with instead of just one.

Home improvement news brought to you by bartonroof.com

Source: nerdwallet.com/blog/mortgages/roof-replacement-cost/

© 2017 Ashley Brook


Author's Note

Ashley Brook
Happy Reading

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

60 Views
Added on November 17, 2017
Last Updated on November 17, 2017
Tags: roofing, roofing tips, roof replacement, Spokane roofing company, roof installation

Author