Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Eclipse

Eclipse

A Story by Esther
"

In the Kingdom of Athenysia, there lived a maiden who was very well-known for her notable beauty. Upon her wish to taste an everlasting love amidst all the rushing men, will the heavens answer her?

"

PROLOGUE

As serenity wrapped the chamber, a beautiful woman sitting beside the windowpane was sweetly humming while gently stroking the hair of the child in her lap.

"Mother, mother" the little girl excitedly looked up to the woman.

"Yes dear?"

"Mother, have you been there?" The girl pointed outstretching her arm beyond the window.

"Well, yes I have sweetheart" The mother replied with a reminiscing smile.

"Really? What was it like?" Her eyes was gleaming with excitement and curiosity.

"Oh it was wonderful darling, people live in harmony surrounded with colorful and wonderful kinds of things" a wave of nostalgia swept over her as she gaze upon where the girl was looking.

"Will I be able to go there too? Will I?" The girl looked at the mother with a hopeful and pleading eyes.

The mother giggled,
"Of course you will, your time will come"

"Truly? I can't wait then!" She outspread her arms in the air with an enthusiastic smile.


CHAPTER 1

On a far away land, there lived a poor yet buoyant farmer couple in a little cottage by the woods.

One day, on his way back home the farmer heard a whining baby from a distance.

He desperately searched for the distressing sound of the poor crying child. As the whine grew louder and louder, he found a beautiful healthy baby girl covered with blanket in a little basket.

The farmer looked and smiled at her adoringly as the baby displayed an adorable smile after her little sapphire-like eyes caught the sight of the farmer.

He looked everywhere assuming it was someone's child, but he couldn't find anybody except him and the baby in the middle of the woodland.

He carried the baby back home and how nonplussed his wife was when she saw the child.

"Darling, I'm home!" The farmer opened the wooden door while carefully holding the baby one-handedly in his chest.

"Welcome back, dea-" the wife froze and her eyes widened as she saw her husband holding an unfamiliar child.

"Is that a child you're holding? Where did you get that child? Whose child is it?" The wife asked with a furrowed brows while she hurriedly walked towards him, totally confounded.

"I found her in the woods, dear. This little princess was crying her heart out like she was desperately yearning for love and attention. And unfortunately, I found no trace of the parents or anyone present."

The wife's expression softened. She then took and carried the baby with compassion in her eyes, "If that's what you want, then we'll give you that, little princess!"

The baby let out an endearing giggle while she wobbly outstretched her fragile arms to the face of the woman.

"Oh what an adorably beautiful moppet you are!" The woman chuckled as she lift the baby up and gave her a kiss on the forehead.

And so they happily took in the baby and raised her as their own daughter with pure love.

~

Years have passed, and the child was growing into a demure, kind, and down-to-earth girl. She also tends to be a curious person, easily attracted to things unexplored to her.

But her idiosyncrasies made her be the type of person to explore and even outshine the darkness. That's why in times of hardships, her parents find her to be the source of light in umbral circumstances. And that's what makes her phenomenal.

She loves her parents so much and she always help them to make a living.

By the time she reached the maidenly period of her life, words spread athwart their land about her unique beauty.

It was even rumored that she radiates a beauty of a royalty!

Their solitary hearthstone was placid no more and became very much well known. And in that moment, she started to feel uneasy and apprehensive. Too much advertence and recognition makes her socially uncomfortable. 

But what could she ever do? As though she was born to be the center of attraction and be the most luminously stunning amongst the stars in their kingdom.

Her peaceful country girl life was intruded by different kinds of men who came one after the other attempting to court and ask for her hand. But she respectfully turned down each and every one of them.

"You are so beautiful, miss"

"You'll make a perfect wife"

"I truly adore you"

"Rumors were true! There is no beautiful woman than you are!"

"You're the most beauteous in this land"

"Please accept my love"

"Marry me, please"

"It'll be an honor to be the husband of such woman like you"

"I would do anything for you to reciprocate my love"

As much as she wanted to appreciate them all, she grew tired of hearing those redundant cliche sugar-coated aphorisms that would supposedly flatter the heart of any maiden. 

But she felt nothing and in fact a bit bothered because of the foolish men rushing in just for the word of beauty.

Many even brought bouquets and gifts signifying their affection for the maiden. But those affection they spoke of, none she considered sincere. For she knows what those men are actually after for.

Albeit every man was rejected, she still treated them with courtesy and that just made her even more admirable for the spellbound men.

 

"Can't find someone you fancy hmm?" Her mother caressed her shoulder from the back, rested her chin on it then looked at the maiden from the side.

Quite surprised by her mother, the maiden was lost in reverie by the windows. "Mother, it's not like that. It's just...I'm not ready yet." 

"It's alright sweetheart, we don't mean to fall pressure upon you. Take your precious time. We're here for you." the father said from behind just entering the room.

"Indeed, something like love isn't supposed to be hastened. Because if you want something to last forever, then you can't rush it. An abiding patience for an everlasting love."

"Be patient and the right person will come for you." There was quick silence, then the mother continued, "but the sad part is, sometimes it happens at the wrong time."

She felt overwhelmed by those words. That was strikingly deep.

"Just so, now look at me and your mother, still in love like those juvenile days back in sweet summer."
Her father grinned in remembrance.

"Your mother was just like you. Hesitant and unready-until she met me. She was still unsure though at first, but I waited and waited until we finally held our hands together in front of the priest." He again grinned but this time, proudly.

"Oh you" her mother let out the loveliest smile while he gave her a sweet kiss on the cheeks.

"That was beautiful" the maiden smiled in warmth.

Oh how I want to taste the sweetest love with the man who could share the eternity with me.
She wishfully thought.

~

 

CHAPTER 2

The maiden was knitting peacefully when she heard her parents desperately chattering and marching from the outside and entering their home.

She stood from where she was sitting and walked towards her parents
"What's the matter?" she asked, bothered.

Her parents momentarily stopped and looked at her.

"Oh yes darling!" her mother suddenly grabbed her shoulders with excitement in her eyes.
"Stop whatever it is your doing and clothe yourself with the best attire you have. Now dear, hurry!"

"What?? Why??" Her brows were so furrowed in confusion

"Oh but don't forget to bring your cloak, they might swarm around you like the bees." Her mother was pushing her across the room when the maiden stopped her halfway and faced her with a befuddled face.
"W-what? What's happening?"

"There's no time dear you'll know when we get there"

"But, Mother-"

The mother then sighed.

"You see dear, it's the eldest prince's birthday and their holding a banquet at the palace with everyone in the kingdom invited!" the mother was so delighted, while the maiden was still unable to get her mother's unusual behavior.

"Isn't that exciting?!" She can see the full set of her mother's teeth with her lip smiling from ear to ear.

"Is that so? Well, is that really something worth to be so exhilarated for?" 

The mother's expression abruptly changed to blank then she sighed again. "I guess for you it's not. But this event is first ever in history! Well, at least in my history. We've got to see the palace and the royal family up close. Oh and you know what? It was the prince himself who insisted on this commoners-are-welcomed party. And I also heard he was quite attractive so might as well see for ourselves."

"What's with that grin?" The maiden innocently asked.

"Now hurry on dear! Stop with the dilly dally."

"Well, alright then if I must." She then continued to her room not actually putting interest to those royal things and such. Instead, imagining what would the capital look like as she never set sight nor foot there before.

~

Her eyes scanned the whole surrounding with great awe as they arrived at the capital. It was filled with exuberant folks and different kinds of buildings and things she have never seen before. 

The people were busy and wearing fancy clothing. And there at the top of the hill lies the grand residence of the royal family.

"I wonder what it looks like on the inside." the maiden muttered as she admiringly gaze upon the stunning palace.

"Oh it'll be the most deluxe place you'll ever see. Save your wonderment we'll get there soon. Now, let's go." Her mother was actually quite more excited than her.

"Stay right close to us, sweetheart. You  might get lost." The father was at their front, leading them.

Not surprisingly, the maiden's head was moving from side to side as she curiously scrutinize everything around her. She was so immersed in her own wonders and amazement until, one specific thing caught her attention. 

A beautiful melody reached her. From a small distance, she heard an angelic voice singing gently.

Instinctively, she searched for the enchanting tune. It was peculiar though, because as she drew closer and closer to it, she find it oddly familiar.

It was so enticing that she let her utmost curiosity swept her to the origin of the enchantment.

And then, there she found a florist woman arranging her beautiful flowers while she softly sing.

Slowly, she walked towards her as she listened more closely and deeply to that soothing yet electrifying familiar song.

"What a beautiful ballad." The maiden remarked as the song reached its end.

"Oh, isn't?" The woman looked at her with a sweet yet enigmatic smile.

"It is beautiful indeed, but it's also sad at the same time. It depicts the story of two lovers who was deeply in love with each other. But as the heaven forbade, they never got a happy ending. The girl unknowingly disappeared and never returned to the side of the man. The man mysteriously forgot about the girl but in the deepest depth of his heart, he always felt an unexplained pain...like he was longing for someone..."
The florist ended the short story as she gave the maiden a flower as undyed as the clouds.

"What do you mean the girl disappeared?...What happened?"

"Only the heaven knows, dear."

"Then, how did the song originated?" She was genuinely curious and eager to know more about it.

The florist smiled once more, but this time with a hint of sadness. "Well that's an interesting question."

"The person who composed the ballad was the man in the song himself. He was a musician after all. After years of agonizing without knowing the reason, he finally remembered everything. He remembered the girl whom she loved before, the one who never came back. That's when he made the song." 

"And unfortunately, he never loved another woman again and died lonely..." the florist added.

The people in her surrounding was busy as the bees but everything went silence for few moments for the maiden. She was in deep confused thoughts then she looked at the flower in her hand, but it only made her eyebrows creased more.

"What are you thinking so deeply child?" The florist calmly asked her.

"It's just... I think I've heard the song before." tilting her head a bit trying to remember something she wasn't sure either.

"Hmm? Well, maybe you do." Again, the florist gave her an enigmatic smile.

"And also..." the maiden briefly looked at the pale flower and raised it.

"Isn't this a moonflower?" she asked the florist confusedly.

"Why yes it is."

"But why is it in full bloom in this time of the year?"

The woman shrugged, "I'm not sure either, maybe because you're holding it." The reply only made her head filled with more question marks and made her brows even more furrowed. What a strange woman she told herself.

"Did you came unescorted hither, dear?" the woman interrupted the maiden from her disarrayed thoughts.

"No I was with my-" she suddenly froze, and that's when reality slapped her. She looked behind and from side to side, all she can see is constantly passing strangers. Her eyes widened and her heart beat instantly became aggressive as soon as she realized she was separated from her parents.

"Oh no..., I have to go! I appreciate your time and the flower, but I must go. Farewell, nice lady!" 

"Well off you go then... Farewell now lovely miss, for your fate awaits you."

She didn't heard quite clearly what the florist's last words are as she immediately ran from the flower shop.

~


CHAPTER 3

And now, there she stand in the middle of the crowd, lost. Fear and agitation engulfed her in split seconds. Too many people was walking, passing, and talking around her. But all she can hear was the loud beating of her own heart beat. It's her first time being exposed to a large crowd clueless and alone since she grew up isolated in a peaceful domicile.

She walked and walked nervously without knowing where she's heading, eagerly hoping to see her parents exactly in that moment.

 Amidst her panicking, she suddenly bumped into a hard masculine body.

"Miss, forgive me, are you alright?" it was a young man.

"I... I'm fine...thank you"

Flabbergasted. The man was utterly speechless when she saw the maiden's face as her hood tardily fell from her head.

Midnight-black hair, bewitching sapphire eyes, well-proportioned face, alluring rosy lips and a skin as fair as an ivory. He was so captivated and magnetized. And with that maidenly figure of hers, he had never seen a maiden more perfect and beautiful than her.

"Are you sure, miss? But you look troubled." It took a couple of seconds before the man could talk again.

She looked at the man and was hesitant to answer.

"I was just a bit lost, that's all." Though she said it like it wasn't a big matter, but she was seriously worried. It's painted in her face.

"You're lost? I can help you, tell me where you are heading."

"No, I'm really fine you don't have to-"

"It's dangerous for a maiden as you wandering in a crowded place alone."

Their eyes locked momentarily.

"Well, I thank thee for your concern. But you really don't have to bother yourself with me further, I can manage myself...I think"

"You think?" The man raised his eyebrows with a small grin.

The maiden suddenly looked at her surrounding then looked back at the man with a narrowed eyes.

"What?" The man asked also with narrowed look.

"Why are they all looking at you?" She then asked back.

"No, I think they're all looking at you."

"What? Why?" Considering the looks of the man in front of her, she really presumed it was the young man in front of her they're all looking at.

"See, that's why I told you it's dangerous for you to be alone in this kind of place." Concern is clearly obvious from the man.

"Miss, whatever it is that is causing you distress, I can help you and I'll gladly do so."

As much as she doesn't want to trust this stranger, she cannot deny that she's a little relieved to hear that.

"I'm assuming your are heading to the palace for the royal banquet, am I correct?" The young man added.

"Well yes, correct but I am separated from my parents. I couldn't find them." 

"Don't worry I'm sure we'll find them." He gave a reassuring smile.

That gave the maiden a feeling of safety.

"But the banquet haven't started  yet, so... may I have this opportunity to take you somewhere else before to the palace?" He confidently let out a playful smile.

Oh she really was almost completely convinced that this man could be trusted. But now, perplexity was drawn to the maiden's face while looking at his hand waiting for her response.

"Pardon? I'm sorry, but I barely know you. I think I have to turn down this offer." she impassively replied while raising an eyebrow. Her mood instantly changed just from one question.

But the man howbeit, was bemused and chuckled, "Miss, do you not know who I am?"

"Know you? Of course not. Am I supposed to know you? Or do you perhaps know me?"

He again, audaciously chuckled. And that made the maiden a bit displeased.

"I have never talked to a person like this before. Though may you be offended, but I do think you are the most... irreverent man I've ever encountered." Her eyes are becoming more fierce and that made the man clear his throat.

"Please forgive me for my impudent behavior. To tell you the truth, it's just I find you exceptional and amusing." He let out an attractive smile that almost again swayed her.

"I don't see myself as to what you mentioned, but as for me I do find you suspicious."

The man just can't help but grin in amusement and said,
"Don't worry miss, I won't do anything that could cause you harm. I just want to show you something of your kind."

She gave him a scrutinizing glance and was still reluctant.

Majestic golden eyes, dark brown hair, perfect nose and jawline, broad shoulders, fetchingly bright smile. A very attractive man garbed in a finely white tunic, tucked in a black trousers.

Hmm maybe I can do trust him.
The maiden then finally concluded.

"Then by all means, please lead the way."

The young man's lips was smiling from ear to ear. He couldn't be more happy as she took the maiden's hand.

He helped her mount his grand stallion and off they go to the promised place.

~

 

CHAPTER 4

The cool, light breeze caressed her body as they ride the stallion at gentle pace.

And so they finally reached their destination at the top of the hill, overlooking the whole capital and the palace. But it wasn't just an ordinary view though, it was something more majestic.

The sun was whispering good night while dipping itself below the horizon, painting the vast sky with golden red tint, extending its rays across the capital and leaving the palace silhouette at the frame.

The maiden witnessed the most beautiful thing she could ever see in her life. It was so serene and captivating. Her eyes were so fixated and completely drowned in incomparable wonder.

"I have never been so love-struck in my entire life." The maiden said in utter admiration.

"Me too" The young man also said in admiration, only looking at the maiden.

"Thank you for bringing me here. It's undeniably beautiful" she gave him a warm smile that made him even more attracted to her.

"But, is there a particular reason why you brought me here?"

He chuckled, "Didn't I told you that I want to show you something of your kind?"

The young man looked towards the view and smiled. "This is what I meant."

"You're as exquisite as this scenery. Or should I say, you're the most beautiful view I've ever beheld."

Their eyes met and as if the world around them stopped. Only leaving them gazing to each other in spectacular exhilaration. Immensely absorbed in one's eyes, the colors symbolizes the contrasting riches of the earth.

"And what you feel looking at it, is what I feel every time I set my eyes on you." He added, still not taking off his eyes on her.

They drew closer and closer together as if they were the opposite poles of magnets naturally attracting each other.

He touched her right arm and caressed her left cheek in a soft manner.

What is this..? What's all this..? Is this a dream..?

She never felt this kind of feeling before. The unusual throbbing of her heart reverberating throughout her body. The strong desire to be with someone endlessly. The intense feeling of ecstasy just from a touch. The feeling of gravity just from looking into a pair of alluring eyes. This whole electrifying experience is just so new to her. 

Their face was getting close to each other in a slow and gentle pace.

Is this...lo-?

Everything was going smoothly. They were about to experience the purest bliss. But they were robbed such a priceless moment when the sound of the bell from the palace tower echoed through the land. Announcing the commence of the Royal Banquet.

As surprised as they were from the first rung of the bell, they withdraw themselves from each other. Now wrapping the atmosphere in discomfiture.

Damnation! I've always hated that bell!  The young man swear in irritation.

"Is the banquet about to commence?" The maiden asked disrupting the awkward air around them. Not looking to the man though as she was hiding her face to prevent him from seeing her reddened cheeks.

"Ah yes" He answered while scratching his head, looking annoyed to that gigantic bell that interrupted their precious moment.

"How kind of them to start without the celebrant." The young man sarcastically stated.

"Well, fortunately the guards didn't followed us. But they're as well using that imbecile bell to call me, they always do that." He clenched his jaw looking annoyed to the bell tower.

"What? What do you mean..?" The maiden did noticed how irritated the man was, but what piqued her attention the most is the words he uttered.

The young man's eyes widened as he realized just what he had all been saying.

"I mean-"

"The celebrant?...Guards?...To call you?" And now, she's utterly confused again.

"That was nonsense, please pay no heed to tha-"

He was cut in when the maiden suddenly gasped and covered her mouth. Her bafflement briefly turn into astonishment.

"You're the...prince?" she asked, stupefied.

"No! well yes, actually I am."

You stupid girl! How can you not noticed?  She thought worriedly.

"I mean no. But... yes that's what I mean, no" He was hilariously clumsy.

And worst, of all the guy that you've ever met, why you'd have to be so rude to the prince?! How foolish can you be, young woman?! She gravely chastised herself for being so stupidly oblivious.

"Forgive me, your royal highness. I have shown you uncourteous attitude." She bowed to the young man, or should I say, to the prince.

"What? No you didn't. You don't have to apologize."

"But back at the capital, I was so rude and disrespectful. I shoudn't-"

"That's fine. In fact, you were being just as kind." He genuinely disapproved.

They looked at each other softly.

"I know it's inappropriate to ask this because as someone living under your parents' rule, I should know. But, why didn't you tell me?"

He held her hand and smiled, "I liked your innocence."

"I've never met someone who talked to me like that. Someone who didn't know me. It was amusing, really." He added and let out a grin. "And I like myself more when I'm with you. So please, you don't have to treat me with formality."

"But you're the prince."

"But I don't want to if I'm with you." He promptly replied.

She can see the sincerity in his eyes.

She smiled and chuckled, "Well, speaking of you, I've never imagined I would meet the prince himself personally."

"So do I, I've never thought I would personally meet the most beautiful maiden in the kingdom." He was smiling and proud.

Wait...
The prince, you say? That's right! The birthday prince! 
"The banquet! My prince, you have to go to the palace." She suddenly remembered the real event here.

"Oh right..." And he almost forgot his own birthday celebration. "Come with me." He was excited to celebrate it with her.

The maiden became hesitant. "Thank you but it's fine-"

But then his smile faded. "No, come with me."

"You shouldn't be with me... Or rather, I shouldn't be with you." She was about to withdraw her hand from the prince's when he gripped it tighter.

"Aren't you also going to the palace to attend the banquet?"

There was silence.

"Then let's go the palace together." The prince said in resolve.

"I shouldn't. I mean not with you, your highness." She strongly refused. "You want me to enter the gates and step foot to the palace with you? A person like me?"

"What do you mean a person like you? Stop using my royal title as an excuse. Our status doesn't matter. Now, it's either both of us are going or none of us are going. I'd rather be with you." He was serious but his voice was still soft and the maiden was wordless for a moment.

"Why?...And, why are you holding my hand so tightly?"

"Because I like you. And I have a odd feeling that if I let go of this hand, we might never see each other again. That's why..."

"Marry me." He blurted out this two words of nowhere.

"Wha- what?" Nonplussed and was utterly speechless, she wasn't expecting that.

Seconds of silence wrapped the air.

"I know it's sudden but it doesn't have to right away. No matter what pulls us apart henceforth, I will never let go of you."

"But, I have nothing and I have no dowry." She said in low esteem.

"You are more than enough for everything I seek."

Warm tears were flowing down her cheeks. She didn't realize she was crying. And she wasn't sure either why.

"Ah- I'm sorry. Was it something I said?" He panicked a bit, doesn't know what to say or do.

Then she wrapped her slender arms around his body and buried her face to his chest.

"Thank you. Thank you for making me feel this wonderful thing."

He was shocked at first but feeling her warm voice vibrate through his body, he also wrapped her in his gentle arm.

"But... I am not ready yet, are you willing to wait?"

"Of course." 

That answer in that gentle voice made her knees go weak. She hugged him tightly and began to sob in his chest.

"Are you tired?" He asked worriedly and she nodded.

"It's just, everything was so... unexpected and sudden this day. But meeting you was the best part though." She said barely in audible tone.

He smiled and caressed the back of her head, "Let me take you home."

~


CHAPTER 5

The wind was whispering in her ears. She felt calm as they ride into the cold night.

As they drew nearer in the maiden's house, they could sight her parents outside the door looking worried and troubled. And how relieved they were when the maiden arrived and she went directly into their arms.

"Oh dear, my princess where have you been? I was worried sick!" Her mother exclaimed.

"But, is the banquet already done?" the maiden asked.

"We didn't go the palace right after we found out you were not in our sight. We were looking everywhere for you." His father said, still worried.

"Who's this handsome young man?" The mother asked curiously. The prince and the maiden looked at each other.

When the maiden explained everything that happened to her and introduced the prince, they were utterly surprised. They expressed how grateful they truly are to the prince.

When the prince was about to leave, her parents went inside the house and gave them some time alone.

"Forgive me your highness, you didn't get to attend your own celebration because of me." She genuinely apologized.

"It's more than fine, really. In fact, this was the best day I've ever experienced in my entire life."

"I'll come for you often, I promise." He took her hand and kissed the back of her palm before he mounted his stallion.

He was about to leave when the maiden voiced her last words.

"Happy Birthday." She smiled luminously.

He reflected her smile in the most bright and attractive way possible before he turned and left.

She stood there as she waits for him to disappear completely from her sight. Her heart was still beating fast and her face was tinted red. She stood there looking back from everything that just happened that day. She still cannot believe that she experienced all of that.

It was just like a dream.

~

The royal guards opened the palace door as the prince return.

He was grinning widely as he walked in the empty great hall disregarding the fact that he didn't came to his own birthday celebration.

"Solarysse!" His father, the King called him.

"Father! So how was the banquet?" He had the audacity to ask about the celebration with his intentional absence.

The King sighed, not even surprised or angry. "Where have you been this time young man? You promised you will attend. You missed the chance to meet your possible future wife. What's with you and the world? Do you want to marry the world?"

The prince, Solarysse just chuckled.

The King gave him a death stare this time. "What are you laughing at? You think this is a laughing matter?"

Solarysse took a step forward and grabbed his father's shoulders. The King raised a brow thinking what this child has in his mind this time.

"Father I've met the one." He proudly said with a wide smile on his face.

The King then raised his other brow and cannot believe what his adventure-loving son just said. "What? What do you mean? You're not even in the banquet earlier."

 "If that's a place for you to laze off you're spitting about, then get out of my sight right now." The King added in dismay.

Solarysse laughed and he just realized what a troublesome son he have been.

"Father, you don't have to worry anymore about the woman I'll marry. I just offered a lifetime together earlier with a woman I met before the start of the banquet."

The King was surprised and cannot process what's his son been saying at the moment. "You met a woman outside? Who is this woman?"

"She was the most beautiful woman I ever met." The dreamy expression made it so obvious how in love he was.

The King's expression changed from surprised to befuddled face, "The most beautiful woman?... You mean the rumored lost princess in the border?"

"That's right father, the most beautiful maiden in this kingdom."

The King was actually awed. "I thought you didn't have the interest to meet this woman."

"That was before, But I guess fate was in our favor." His smile was in constant display.

"You know your brother tried to look for her. But he missed the chance as he got lost in search for this well-known beauty of this land." The King added.

"Well, that's too bad. Luck was not in my brother's side that time." He was proud and smiling as if he won the greatest war.

"You're grinning like an idiot. Stop it, it reminds me of myself." He said in disbelief towards his son.

"So, what was she like?" The King added and was seem so interested.

"Oh, she was perfect. She wasn't just beautiful but also kind and down to earth too."

The King smiled and a memory of him and her loving wife brushed in his mind.

"Well why don't you tell your mother about this woman, I'm sure she'll love her."

~

 

CHAPTER 6

"Mother, how would you define love?"

She looked at the maiden and smiled.

"Well, how would you define it?" She returned the question to her.

She thought for a bit and she was in apparent vagueness, "I'm uncertain. It's...overwhelming and chaotic. It's a plethora of intense emotions. It's so...ineffable"

"Precisely."

"Is it really it? What I'm feeling right now?" She asked her mother again.

"Well, if you think so, then it is." She fixed the maiden's hair for the last time and gazed to her in warmth.

They heard a knock from her door and his father came in.

"Sweetheart, your prince is here." He approached his two lovely ladies and smiled to the maiden.

She stood there while her vision is getting blurry. Looking at her parents makes her teary-eyed. She didn't know it herself but she was having mixed feelings.

"What's the matter with you, dear? You're looking at us like we're never seeing each other again. Don't get so dramatic now. Just enjoy and be careful on your way home."

"Time flies so fast indeed. The memory of first holding you in my arms still freshly lingers, it feels like yesterday." He sighed with a hint of sadness, "And now someone has come to held you in his. You're beautiful, my princess."

She's getting really emotional as she wiped her tear attempting to fall from her left eye, "I am so blessed to have both of you as my parents."

~

Many moons had passed from the first time they met and yet their vivid feelings for each remained unchanged. The prince kept his word when he said he was going to visit her often.

Now, the maiden has reached her 18th year of existence on the surface and the prince has come to celebrate it with her.

They went to celebrate it to the place where their love first bloomed, to the place of exquisite view and indelible memories.

Warmth enveloped her body as Solarysse embraced her from the back. She always feels happy whenever she's with him. He always makes her smile in the smallest things and stand as her light in the dreary days. It was a picturesque night view and the ambience was filled with serenity.

Moments later, cold breeze passed through them and it gave her chills down to her spine. It made her feel unsettling as she suddenly felt something odd. She felt like there was something wrong, like there is about to happen.

Then, strange memories of her young self that she doesn't even remember glinted through her mind. Then all of a sudden, a familiar voice out of nowhere starts whispering into her ear.

"It is time, sweetheart"
"You have to go now"

The maiden flinched in surprise and she began to feel confused. "What was that?"

Her eyes widened in shock and her heart began to pound so loudly and fast as she starts to recognize that voice of a goddess-like woman.

"Is there something wrong?" Solarysse asked in worry as he noticed the strange behavior of the maiden.

He faced the maiden and saw her face was pale.

"Huh? Oh... nothing I gue-"

Another breeze blew through them but this time it was strong, and a beautiful woman-a goddess appeared in the thin air of the night sky reaching her hand for the maiden.

Their jaw dropped in the sight of an unexpected phenomenon.

"M-mother..." The maiden stuttered. That was when she remembered everything. 

Rivulets began to flow down her cheeks. She instinctively held the necklace she had ever since she was a child. She remembered that it was given to her by her parents as a birthday present. But now, she just realized something painful and shocking. She was already wearing the necklace since before her father picked her in the forest. It has crescent moon pendant.

She faced Solarysse with her eyes full with tears, "I'm... I'm sorry" He was confused and worried as he doesn't know anything.

She then looked at the goddess and said, "Mother... please, please let me stay"

"Remember who you are, Eluna. You are a princess-no, you are a goddess. That is why you have to return now." The goddess replied in gentle yet sympathizing voice.

"But mother, I like it here! Please... I found love and happiness in this place! Didn't you also experience it?" She was pleading and desperate while the goddess was a bit shocked to what the maiden-Eluna said.

"The song you used to sing for me, the one you always hum, that was the song made by the musician who was left by his beloved right? And you were the girl who mysteriously disappeared."

The goddess was wordless as bitter memories of her past evoke within her mind. Pain and sadness were drawn in her face. But she immediately suppressed those feelings and composed herself.

"It the ineluctable destiny of the celestial gods and goddesses. They are sent down to this world to understand and experience the way of life, but they are not meant to stay and live as a human. And now, the time has come to bring you back to where you truly belong. It is an illicit to violate the divine law."

That being said, there is nothing that the maiden could do but to cry. It feels like death for her. Her whole life as a human flashed through her mind. Her memories as a child healthily growing up. Her peaceful life in solitude. The smiles of her loving parents. Their warm hugs and words. Their undying love for their daughter. The day she tasted the desired love she always prays for. The man who she awaited to come in his life. The man who always bring her light just with his smile. The delicate love he gives her just like what he promised. It was too painful that she cannot breathe properly anymore. She hugged Solarysse, she hugged him so tightly.

"It's okay, my love. Don't worry, because I will never forget you as long as I exist." His words tore her chest apart even more as flood of uncontrollable tears driven by her pain poured from within her soul.

The goddess cannot bear the heartbreaking sight anymore. It's taking her back to the time she also left the man she loved in the surface. He met eye with the prince and slowly disappeared in the night sky.

Solarysse let out a broken laugh in grief as he caressed her hair for the last time, "Luna, I won't ever forget you, I promise."

Eluna looked up to him with mild confusion as he uttered those words for the second time.

And there in his chest, flickered a soft glow of gold hiding in his clothes. It was also a necklace. A necklace with a sun pendant.

She was surprised for another unexpected sight, "Wha-What? Sol... you're also-?"

"My stay here is approaching its end. It's only a matter of time before I also leave. I wasn't supposed to remember everything now. " Solarysse stated with pain evident in his teary eyes. He let out a broken smile and hugged her once more.

"Sol, you gave me the love that nothing on this world can tantamount. Fate may not be in our favor, but I know you were the right person for me. If life was a day, you were the best part in the passage of time." Luna expressed in broken voice while continuous stream of tears carved down in her cheeks.

Solarysse cannot hold his tears anymore and so he let himself broke in her arms.

"Luna, in all of the stars, you were the brightest and glowed in perfection. You bring me comfort and peace even in the darkest times. The timeless beauty you hold is the definition of timeless love, believe me. My love, we'll spend our eternity together."

The looked in each other's contrasting eyes with sincerity and pain. His hand cupped her right soft cheek as the heaven slowly witness the attracting force between them. Everything was like in slow motion as their lips carefully magnetize each other. On the top of the hill overlooking the world and with the twinkling stars in the vast night sky, it's like they were the only ones in the whole universe.

In the moment of the slow pace of the time, he gently pressed his lips against hers and let themselves fully be devoured with the turmoil of their intense emotions. Luna's heart aches as their kiss goes deeper and deeper. She wrapped her slender arms around his neck to seize their last moments. Solarysse grasp in her waist tightened as they feel their love pouring into each other's soul through their intense kiss. It was passionate and delicate yet pain was overwhelming them. 

Luna's body felt light as it starts fading into tiny crystals, shining like the diamond from the reflection of the stars, and as fine as the floating dusts in the air. From the tips of her fingers, to the splits of her hair and to the heel of his feet. She was fading. It was only a countable amount of time before she completely disappears in his arm.

Wind from the east blew through them again and her lips started to feel like the clouds. And so, their kiss ended as he slowly opened his eyes with Luna completely vanished into thin air. He reached out his hand for her crystal fragments as his chest throbbed in pain. But the tiny crystals then slowly withdraw from him as the wind took the remaining fragments of her whole existence.

The night suddenly became peaceful yet was heart-wrenching as he stand there alone and empty.

"Fare thee well, my love" He whispered in shattered voice.

~


EPILOGUE

Eluna's existence was erased upon the whole land like she wasn't even born and lived there. Her parents lived as a childless yet contented couple henceforth and nothing was left as an evidence of her.

Only Solarysse who lived in torment and longing during his remaining days on the surface kept his memories of her within his heart. 

Soon, he was also taken to the place of his belonged ruling, and the King and Queen of Athenysia lived with their second child engraved in their minds that he was the only child and prince.

The world may not know about the bitter end of a god and goddess whose fate collided on the surface as it was not supposed to, but the heavens witnessed their whole story. 

The goddess of fate was not able to do anything from the moment their eyes met, it gave her no choice but to wait for their painful goodbye.

The Supreme God himself was saddened by this first ever occurrence in the universe. He felt the beauty and sincerity in their affection for each other. And so, he decided to bless them.

For every once in a long time, he would let them meet. In every constant chase and longing for each other, they would hug, and kiss, and feel their presence to the bottom of their hearts. Their love became ethereal and eternal that no one in the universe could break.

And so, every time Luna and Sol would meet up in the heavens, people would look up to them in awe and they would call it the total "eclipse."

~End~

 

© 2021 Esther


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

27 Views
Added on May 23, 2021
Last Updated on May 23, 2021
Tags: romance, lovestory, fiction, myth

Author

Esther
Esther

Philippines