Layla.

Layla.

A Story by Ohmandyyy
"

A short story I wrote after repeatedly listening to John Mayer's Daughters and also Mayday Parade's Terrible Things. Please note its been more than a year since I wrote anything. Enjoy.

"

                                                            Layla

Now it was a night like any other. The roads were quiet. The walkways in the park beside the stretch of apartments lay empty and quiet on this quiet night. Except in one of the apartments that resided in Jurong, things begun to stir.

“Dad! Give me some space will you? I made a promise to my friends and I am going out no matter what! You can’t keep me here you know!”

“Layla! You listen to me right now! It’s already so late and you still want to meet your friends? No, I will not allow that. Go to your room now!” screamed Layla’s dad, Richard, who was now grabbing his daughter’s arm.

Layla swiped her dad’s hand away from her arm and stormed off to her room. Right before she entered her room she turned, her face full of tears, and she said.

“You know what, I wish mom was still alive. Dad, I hate you.”

The door slammed shut as it closed behind Layla. Richard, who was now at a loss for words, slowly walked into his room. He picked up a photo frame and slowly sat down on the edge of his bed. He looked down at the photo frame and silently whispered to himself. It was a picture of him and a woman.

“I wished she was still alive too.”

 

 

Another school term began and thus the good old school was being filled with people once again. Students, teachers, overprotective parents, you name it. For young Richard, who was starting his year two in Poly now, it seems like just another new semester. As he made his way to class, he saw faces. Some familiar, some new. He walked on, still trapped in his own world when suddenly…

* Thud! *

Richard, in his moment of daydream, accidentally bumped into this petite looking girl, causing her notes to drop all over the floor. He quickly went down to help her pick up her notes.

“Oh my god, I am so sorry! I wasn’t looking at where I was…” He apologized but stopped abruptly when he looked up and saw her face.

Her skin, pale but shone with a faint radiance.  Her hair was brown and fell on her contours of her face perfectly. Her eyes. Richard had never seen anything more beautiful than that in his life.

“It’s alright. I should have been more careful as well. Thanks for helping me pick up my stuff….And can I ask you something? I’m new here, it’s my first day. Can you show me to the atrium?” She asked, politely while smiling softly.

“Oh yes, definitely, I’m headed there as well actually. Oh, by the way, my name is Richard.”

“Richard? Nice to meet you. My name’s Cathy.”

Every love story has a beginning. This is how Richard met Cathy. His soon to be best friend. The one he shares everything with. The one he will look forward to meeting everyday. The one who would eventually be his girlfriend. His wife. His one and only love.

 

 

The sun shone brightly on that day, but the clouds kept it from becoming scorching hot. Richard and Cathy sat down by their favourite tree, upon a grey blanket they laid out for their picnic. It was their 25th month anniversary. They have made it a tradition to have a picnic under their favourite tree every 15th May. Their anniversary meant the world to them. As Richard was resting his head upon Cathy’s lap, he saw that she was quite deep in thought.

“Honey, what’s wrong? You look lost in your thoughts.” He asked, looking up at his love.

“Oh nothing, dear. It’s just that I was thinking about what name should our daughter have if ever we have one…” She replied still looking lost in the thoughts, although now she had begun playing with Richard’s hair.

“Daughter? Hmmm how about Cassandra? Or Rihanna? Or we can name her after someone important like…ELIZABETH? After the queen!” Richard replied cheekily. Cathy chuckled slightly then sighed.

“How about...Layla?”

“Layla? That sounds lovely darling. Layla hmmm…”

“I’m glad you think so. Alright, if ever we have a daughter, her name will be Layla. Promised?” She said as she stretched out her pinky to Richard’s face.

“Promise!” And they locked pinkies, signifying their promise made. Cathy smiled and slowly planted a kiss on Richard’s forehead. The sun by then was setting, giving the sky a brilliant shade of orange. They knew then that no matter what happens in the future, they had each other and that was enough.

 

 

Richard walked briskly through the busy corridors of the hospital. Flowers in hand, he rushed as fast as possible to ward 1207. His heart was beating faster with every step he took. At last, he found ward 1207 and he saw Cathy.

“Oh thank god you’re alright! I was so worried!” He said, still panting.

“Silly, I’m alright, just had a dizzy spell at work. By the way, I think the time’s coming soon.” She said as she smiled widely.

Cathy has been almost 9 months pregnant, with a baby girl. It was about to be one of Richard’s proudest moment. He was about to be a father. Right then, Cathy had never looked more beautiful.

“Honey, I love you. I love you so much. I can’t wait for Layla to see the world. To see life. To see us. To see you.” Richard said softly, kissing her on the cheek and on her stomach.

“Richard dear…I need to tell you something. Promise me something.” Cathy sat up slowly and held Richard’s hands.

“Yes, anything for you dear. What is it?”

“Whatever happens, never forget to show Layla the love she deserves. I know you love me Richard. I never forget that. I want you to love Layla with the love you shower me with alright? Layla will be born soon and you’ll be her dearest father. Whatever happens, promise me you’ll take care of her.”

“Honey why are you saying all…”

“Promise me you’ll take care of Layla.”

“I promise, love.”

Now as we all know, life is full of unexpected things. Whether good or bad, we must take them as it goes. On the night that Cathy went into labour, a beautiful baby girl was born. She looked like Richard, but her eyes, were the shape of hazelnut. Unfortunately, only a beautiful baby girl survived the procedure. Richard was heartbroken; with the only thing he held on to was the last promise he had promised Cathy. To love and take care of Layla.

 

 

Richard held on tightly to the frame as he remembered the last time he saw Cathy. His tears dropped on the picture, the picture of them on their 25th anniversary, beside their favourite tree.

“Oh Cathy, why? Why did you have to go?”

Suddenly, there was a light knock on the door behind Richard. And he felt someone hugging him from behind.

“Dad, I’m sorry. I know mum meant a lot to you. I know I said some things I shouldn’t…I’m sorry dad.” Layla was sobbing silently while still hugging her dad. Richard wiped his tears and turn so that he was facing Layla.

“Layla, I love you. And I will always take care of you, so forgive me for being so misunderstanding sometimes. I really do care. I know you’re growing up and all, and I understand that. So forgive me Layla, I will always take care of you no matter what happens. So if you want to go out now, I understand. Go. You deserve a life of your own, my darling.” Richard spoke softly but clearly. He lifted up Layla’s chin and kissed her on her forehead.

“No dad, I don’t want to go out. I want to stay here. Dad, could you please tell me more about mom?” Layla asked quietly.

“My pleasure, love.”

So the father and daughter sat down and talked about how Cathy was like. Richard knows no matter what happens in the future, he had his promise to Cathy. His undying love for Cathy will still carry on, as long as he has the last gift that Cathy, his love left him. Layla.

 

                                                End.

© 2011 Ohmandyyy


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Good Job Asyraf! It made me feel, which is always the best thing a story does when it speaks for itself (:

More please! :D

Posted 13 Years Ago


long but good keep witing like this nice job


Posted 13 Years Ago


This is definitely a writing from someone who has many stories to tell. You should start writing again and continue writing. Nice job.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is really good! Long, but good! :) Keep writing!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

280 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 24, 2011
Last Updated on March 25, 2011
Tags: father daughter love

Author

Ohmandyyy
Ohmandyyy

Singapore



About
Stories that deserve to be heard. more..


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Crush Crush

A Poem by AlexandreaLynn





Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5