Transcendence

Transcendence

A Story by Baird Wahlander

There was darkness, warm and comforting. I didn’t question it. I had no idea how long I’ve been here, floating in the dark. I’m not complaining. But then cold light hit me like a splash of icy water and my black world was ripped to pieces. I fell from my suspended spot and landed on my hands and knees. Dirt, dirt stuck on my palms and bare feet. My eyes were clenched shut as this unknown light stabbed at me like daggers. Everything was cold and hard, unlike the warm place I was before. I shivered, and curled up into the fetal position to keep some of the heat that was still in my body. I started to feel warm again but only on my right shoulder and I peeked through my eyelids to see a figure made of light that was knelt beside me, its hand on my shoulder.

          “It’s time to get up.” It said. There was no emotion in its voice, just a whisper that made my spine tingle.

          “I don’t want to.” I mumbled. The words felt jumbled and my voice sounded unfamiliar. I just wanted to go back to the warm place.

          “You must get up.” The Light whispered. I couldn’t help but obey; it was as if the words themselves urged me to stand up. “Good, your journey begins now.”

          “Journey?” I asked as The Light’s words flowed over me, adding more warmth to my body.

          “Yes.” It replied. “I will be your guide.” There was nothing but darkness other than the pool of light the figure cast, no bigger than two arms’ lengths with the dark blurring at the edges.

          “Ok.” I said. Grogginess had its hold on me and while I was trying to shake it off, The Light turned around and started down the dirt path, I hesitated. I wanted to go back to the warm place, but that was no longer an option. So I reluctantly followed.

          “Where are we going?” I asked.

          “Your destination.” The Light replied.

          “And where is that?”

          “Not a where, but a when.” The Light corrected.

          I sighed. “Ok, when is it?

          “Whenever you want it to be.” It continued to float down the path but I stopped where I was.

          “What is that supposed to mean?” I demanded.

          The Light stopped. “We will arrive at the end when you are ready.”

          “But I’m ready now!” I argued. 

          The Light shook its head. “You will be ready at the end of your journey.”

          “I-,” I started, but swallowed my words. There was no point. I had come so far from where I began: The warm place. I couldn’t find my way back in the dark anyway. I continued to walk with The Light. What happened to the dark comfortable place? It made me ache to even think about it, the everlasting soft embrace that was The Warm Place. Why did I have to go on this journey with this mysterious specter of light? It suddenly stopped. “What’s wr-?” I started, but The Light cut me off by holding up a glowing hand.

          “There is something here with us.” It said.

          I stiffened. “What’s here? You mean in the dark?”

          “Yes.”

          There was a noise to my right that sounded like a clicking of dogs’ toenails against a hardwood floor crossed with a foamy gurgle. “Stay close to me,” said The Light. “They cannot reach you as long as you stay in the light.” We kept going down the path and this time I stayed a lot closer. The noises continued. Whatever was out there was following us.

          “What do we do?” I asked nervously.

          “Keep moving,” The Light said. “They cannot harm you as long as you keep moving.”

          I looked around, but I could only see darkness. Not even the slightest sign of movement. “What do they want?”

          “You.”

          I gulped. “What- what will happen if they get me?”

          “They will drag you into oblivion. Your soul will be ripped to pieces and burned.” I would have shivered if those deathly words didn’t come from The Light. Its words wove a soft blanket of warmth that combatted my sense of dread.

          “So I’ll die?”

          “Yes.”

          After what seemed like an eternity, the noises from the creatures in the dark stopped. The Light did not lie. They stayed far away from us the entire time. I did not attempt to talk to The Light again, not that it attempted to talk to me either. My anger and confusion festered, building in my gut, and that’s when I finally put my foot down. “Alright, I’ve had enough!” The Light turned around to face me. “You need to give me a straight answer or I’m not moving.” I folded my arms.

          “I have been,” It said softly. “I told you; you will be ready when you reach the end and the end will only appear if you are truly ready to leave this place.”

          “But I am ready to leave!” I growled.

          “You are not.” The Light insisted, its voice barely a whisper compared to mine. “You do not want to leave. You want me to return to where I found you.”

          I struggled for words, instead I just ran. I stepped out of the light and into the dark, where it immediately chilled me to the bone. I ran until the light was nothing but a dot behind me. My legs buckled under me when I had my head turned and I tumbled over, hitting the dirt and rolled downhill landing in a ditch. I grasped at the slope leading back up and I started to climb, feeling my eyes threaten tears. I couldn’t get a grip in the soft earth and I fell back into the pit. Landing on my back I wept and screamed and tried to climb up the wall over and over again. Every time failing.

          I sat there in the dust, feeling pathetic. Stupid. My body went rigid at the clicking, gurgling sounds in the dark and I stood, backing up against the wall. The sounds were getting closer and I shut my eyes which didn’t make much of a difference. Hot, sour breath brushed my face. The clicking louder than ever. Then there was a high pitched screeching noise and familiar warmth wrapped itself around me. I opened my eyes to catch the black insect - like forms of the creatures retreat into the darkness. I turned around and fell to my knees. “You came back.”

          “Yes.” The Light said softly. “Are you ready to continue?”

          I sniffed and wiped my eyes with my forearm. “Why should I?” I shouted. “I want to get out of this place and all you can give me is riddles!” The Light was silent. “I want to leave! Why won’t you give me a straight answer and…” I paused, feeling my voice break. “Just help me! Why won’t you help me?!” There was a short silence and I stared at The Light breathing heavily, feeling hot and frustrated.

          “I am not here to help you.” The Light said. Those words hit me like a huge weight, giving me the feeling of having the breath knocked out of me.

          “Then why the hell are you here?” I cried.

           “I will stand with you, I will walk with you, but I will not help you.” The Light whispered. “Now if you wish to continue; get up.”

          Sucking in breaths, wiping my eyes, I finally regained myself and I began climbing the wall, finding foot and hand holds much easier until I reached the top where I stared hard at my guide. “Fine,” I said. “Let’s go.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

          We were walking again, but this time I was not following behind. I was walking in stride with The Light, confidence and determination took the place of helplessness. There was a light off in the distance. “Woah, what’s that?” I pointed.

“That is the end.” The Light said. “You are finally ready.”

          “Well what are we waiting for?” I said excitedly, and took off running. Soon the light from my guide and the bigger light melded, and we stopped in front of two great pillars. Beyond them was the end of my journey, a blinding, gaping well of light. I spun around to face The Light. For the first time since I entered this cold dark place, I was actually happy. “I’m here,” I said. “I’m finally here.”

          “Yes,” Said The Light. “You have travelled this far. Now it is time for your final test.”

          “What?” My voice raised an octave. “There’s more?”

          “Yes.”

          I sighed through my teeth. “What test could there possibly be? The end is right there,” I said, pointing behind me. As if on cue there was a loud grumble and the ground shook. The pillars began to move and I stood gaping upward at the giant black figure that swayed and rocked as it pried its feet from the dirt. It let out a roar that churned my insides.

The Light stood beside me and whispered in my ear, its soft voice somehow audible over the deafening roar of the shadow creature. “You must defeat this beast,” I couldn’t say anything, I was frozen. The leviathan radiated madness and evil. I felt cold, smelled the stench of blood while images flashed in my mind that hurt my skull from the inside, a thousand screws twisting through my head. I wanted to scream.

The giant spoke. Its voice like knives against stone as it scraped my skull. “Why have you come?” It asked, each word making my chest vibrate and my eardrums feel like they were ready to explode.

“I- ,” I choked on my own words.

“Speak,” The Light murmured. I shivered as a jolt of lightning went through my body. My skin tingled.

“I’m here to reach the end,” I shouted. I felt the ground move as the beast shifted its weight.

“Why?” It growled, looking down at me. That was a good question. Why was I here? The Warm Place, that was gone, so what other choice did I have? I would be dead without The Light to lead me. I could go anywhere and The Light would follow. I would just wander aimlessly throughout this dark world, wherever this is. Actually, where exactly is thi �", my mind folded in on itself and I clutched my head. I started to sweat. Waves of pain hit me knocking me off balance and I felt like I was going to throw up. The feeling passed as quickly as it began. The creature sensed this. “You are in agony little one,” It boomed, “I may offer a release.” This caught my attention.

“Lies,” The Light hissed.

I turned to my guide. “What?”

“There is no release,” It said, “The monster only seeks to imprison you further.”

I looked back to the towering behemoth. “What are you saying; a release?”

“I can return you to where you began, away from this foolish journey.”

My breath hitched. “You mean, The Warm Place? You can bring me back?”

“A mistake…” The Light mumbled.

“Shut up,” I snapped, glancing back.

“Give up,” The monster dropped down on one knee, kicking up dust. “This journey is pointless. You will only cause yourself more pain, even greater if you wish to pass me.” On the last vowel a stream of warm, flat, smoke came from the thing’s mouth. I gulped. This creature: my final test? I didn’t stand a chance. The confidence and purpose that once crackled through me had now drained out my toes. What was I supposed to do?

I felt the light beside me. “I leave you with this, my mark.” A gentle burning spread on my right arm as lines of light snaked around it, my body was warm again. “You can use this to do what you will. Finish your journey, or turn back, whichever you choose. This is my end now and I can go no further. Good luck.” And with those last words The Light was gone.

“Thank you,” I whispered. The light from my arm grew brighter and a blade sprouted from my wrist and into my hand, a large sword of light.

“You are at a crossroads young one, what do you choose?” The titan’s slow, booming voice felt like bugs under my skin and I tried to shake it off.

I grit my teeth and glowered at the giant shadowy beast. “I choose to fight,” I shouted to it, bringing up my glowing blade. “I refuse to give in no matter what you say. Nothing felt right the moment I stepped into this place and I know you’re full of s**t. I’m going hom-.” Another migraine hit me like a ton of bricks and my arm faltered, the tip of the sword hitting the dirt.

 “As you wish,” It said, standing up. Suddenly its claw came down on me before I could think. I instinctively raised my sword in an upward arc to block it, and the weight almost crushed me, but my weapon held fast and pushing up with all my strength I threw the claw off. The towering monster roared and took a heavy step back.

The beast swung again, this time with its right arm, but jumping above its strike, I landed on its hair - covered forearm. As it finished its swipe I was already running up its arm and jumping over to its shoulder. Grabbing a fistful of fur to stay on I thrust my blade into the leviathan’s neck and hot, sour, black air blew from its wound. I gasped for air and only choked down the disgusting gas. Coughing, I pulled out my sword and stabbed again, greeted with more foul smoke. The wind blew me from the giant’s shoulder and I flipped through the air. I landed on my feet in a crouching position and my sword soon followed, impaling itself in the dirt beside me. I struggled to get up and grabbed the hilt of it to support me and stood before the monster which was tossing its head screeching in agony. My legs felt like they were on the verge of shattering as well as my arms. My heart pounded and the markings on my arm pulsed in tandem. I didn’t let up. A wave went through my body and I was shot forward by an invisible force with a river of light trailing behind me. I kicked off the ground directly below the giant and propelled myself upwards toward its head, my sword brought back to strike. It’s face was nothing but a horrible mass of fur and smoking shadow with rows of jagged, reddish teeth and small, sick green eyes in pits of black. Hacking and slashing at its open maw, my blade of light sliced its jaws to pieces.

          “I did not… come this far… TO FAIL NOW!” I shouted between cuts. I kicked it, sending a blast of light into its head and flipped backward, landing on one knee. It was still standing. Again. I thought to myself. I let the power of The Light push me forward where I rocketed upward and cut off the beast’s right arm at the shoulder, kicked off it, and landed back on the ground skidding to a stop. The giant collapsed onto its knees, black and white steam rising off its body. It let out a groan and began to tip forward. I was waiting.

          I supported my sword arm with my left, holding it by the elbow to heave it upward and stabbed into the behemoth’s face as it came crashing down. The light of both my sword and my arm burned away at its form, and darkness forced itself onto me through the monster. I stood my ground as cold, whistling clouds of shadow screamed in my ears and the coils of light on my arm flared like fire. Soon the windy shrieks cut of quickly and the ashes of the monster fell around me like grotesque snow. The warmth of the light gone, as well as my sword. I stumbled forward with a small smile that played on my lips. I was done. Every muscle in my body protested with each step I took as I made my way to the light. One single word bubbled to the surface of my consciousness as I drew closer. Then, I was assaulted with a barrage of sounds and vertigo; I crashed into a spot that was soft and warm. I opened my eyes to bright, unnatural light that burned.

          “I saw him move!” A voice rang in my eardrums.

          “Jesus… Thomas? Doctor! We need you!” The light still burned my eyes.

          “I believe he’s waking up.” Said a voice. Male, a man, man’s voice. The word drifted and my mind franticly grabbed at it.

          “Thomas?” This was a woman, I knew her. “Thomas baby, please, can you open your eyes?”

          I’m trying! I thought. That word, that lone word, I struggled to find a definition for. I opened my eyes. I was in a white room. Big fluorescent lights shined and reflected off the walls. A machine sat next to me on a rolling table, beeping softly with my heartbeat. My family; my mother, father, and sister stood around my bed, looking at me with tears in their eyes.

          “Home.” I whispered. That fantastic word.

 

 

 

 

© 2014 Baird Wahlander


Author's Note

Baird Wahlander
My first piece on this site, be gentle ;)

Edit: I just changed the ending, so go critique that shit!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like how the story is constructed to be almost like a mix of Dante's Inferno and Lovecraftian but I would love to know how the protagonist got to this Dark Place? Did he get into an accident? Did he try to commit suicide? Did he wrong somebody and they try to kill him? etc. My main point is there has to be a reason why the protagonist is there in the first place and why he wants to get out.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Nice writing! I like your use of description and the whole Light and Dark thing you have going.
If you were to release more, I'd read it.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Baird Wahlander

10 Years Ago

Thank you very much :3

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

121 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 28, 2014
Last Updated on March 2, 2014

Author

Baird Wahlander
Baird Wahlander

VT



About
I'm just a guy who absolutely loves to write and occasionally does voice acting on Youtube. Feedback is appreciated! Yebat da! more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Baird Wahlander