BEEP

BEEP

A Story by Keith C.
"

Another short story written for my class. About a cashier.

"

BEEP

            BEEP. One dozen eggs. BEEP. A package of bacon. BEEP. A gallon of milk. It’s already sweating in the early morning heat as the cashier drops the heavy jug into a plastic bag. She tells the customer her total, the customer pays, the customer leaves. Just another face to forget as the day trails along. The store is quiet for twenty minutes before The Girl has to start doing something again. She pretends to hide behind the counter as her fingers quickly scroll through her phone. She looks down as the bright screen shines in her face. It takes her ten seconds to finally acknowledge the next face standing at the counter.

            BEEP. One newspaper. BEEP. A pack of cigarettes. BEEP. A pack of gum. The Face pays. The Face leaves. The automatic doors screech open and shut after years of doing the same thing day after day. The store is quiet again. The girl pull out her phone. She doesn’t try to hide it. Her managers know there’s nothing they can truly do. They see her on her phone. They make eye contact. They give her a “Not right now” look. The Girl looks down and finishes her text message and slides the electronic into her front pocket. They won’t reply for a little while.

            A woman with a cart filled to the brim comes to the counter. She is too happy about shopping too early in the morning. She greets The Girl with a loud and insincere “Good Morning!” as she throws her loot onto the counter too fast for The Girl to scan. BEEP. A box of cereal. BEEP. A second box so she can get the special savings. BEEP. Makeup. BEEP. BEEP. BEEP. A lot of makeup. The Face waits impatiently as The Girl tosses items over the red laser beam. Waiting to make space for the rest of the stash. BEEP. BEEP. A couple of useless decorations. BEEP. An oversized scented candle. The Face too slowly starts putting the plastic bags into her shopping cart. She slides her credit card briskly expecting the transaction to be instant. Of course it isn’t. The Girl gives her the same directions she gives the rest of the Faces. Push this button. Say no to that. Say yes to this. The Face takes her basket and rushes outside. The Girl thinks negative thoughts about the Face. The same negative thoughts she has had about countless faces. She pulls out her phone.

            It’s only been two hours. The Girl doesn’t notice though. The Girl is nineteen years old. This is her third job. She doesn’t care. She does care. She has no friends at work. She has a lot of friends at work. Her face is one of apathy. Everyone knows She could care less. She doesn’t let others see that She is terrified. Her coworkers see a spoiled brat. She’s the only way her family can eat. She started school this year. She only takes one class. She tell everyone She is easing into it. She thinks to herself She doesn’t have enough time. Fifteen minutes have passed.

            Another face approaches the counter. He is asking The Girl questions. She can’t understand him. The Face is speaking Spanish. He is gesturing and speaking loudly. She shakes her head and tells him that She doesn’t understand. He is making a shape with his hand. She doesn’t understand. He is pointing to the back of an aisle. She doesn’t understand. He starts pointing at The Girl, anger covers his brow. He is yelling now. The Girl starts yelling back. Her manager rushes over and begins speaking Spanish to the man, glancing over at The Girl every so often. The Girl is furious on the outside. The Girl is crying on the inside. The Face walks away with the Manager. The Girl clenches her teeth as she grips her phone. She wonders if she’ll have a job at the end of the day. She thinks of the reason she is there.

            BEEP. One dozen eggs. BEEP. A package of Bacon. BEEP. A gallon of milk. BEEP. BEEP. BEEP. The morning is hot and long. The Girl looks out into space. She stares intently. She doesn’t notice the next Face walk up to her. BEEP. BEEP. BEEP. The Face leaves. BEEP. BEEP. Two hours pass. BEEP. More cigarettes. BEEP. Newspapers. The Girl reads a magazine as time slips by. She doesn’t care. She does care. A woman walks into the store and approaches the counter. She starts talking to The Girl. The Girl can’t understand her. The Face is speaking English.

© 2015 Keith C.


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

209 Views
Added on February 6, 2015
Last Updated on February 6, 2015
Tags: Short story, creative writing class, cashier

Author

Keith C.
Keith C.

Bedford, TX



About
Started taking a creative writing class at school and wanted a place to put some of my stuff. more..

Writing
Slayer Slayer

A Story by Keith C.