Maybe in heaven we'll meet.

Maybe in heaven we'll meet.

A Story by Aya Souayh
"

This is me celebrating your birthday. If you were still here, you would have turned 56 years old.

"
     You weren't here as I passed sixth grade, nor when I passed the ninth one. You won't be there for me as I graduate high school, nor on my first day of college.
You won't support me as I complain about how hard med school is.
You weren't there for me when I had my heart broken for the first time.
You weren't the one I cried to at night when I couldn't sleep.
You did not defend me on the so many fights that I had with my brothers.
Do you realise that?
Didn't you for a second, just a second, think about my future without you, as you lit your twentieth cigarette? 
Didn't you care a bit about me? 
Just like you, I did not know it was cancer that you had. 
I did not for a fraction of a second think that, one day, you'd be gone. The thought hadn't crossed my mind, and neither yours. 
If only I had known, I wouldn't have gotten so attached to you. I would have loved mom more than I loved you. 

You won't walk me down  the aisle and you won't get to hold my first child. 

      I hate that I didn't get to know you better. Yet, I believe that you were the greatest man. I'll make sure my kids will love you as much as I do. I'll keep telling them that their grandfather was a hero and that he fought till his last beath. 
I really wish you had been a bad father so your death wouldn't affect me this much. 
I wish you were still here so I could talk about you as much as my friends talk about their fathers.
I wish I could tell you how much I love you, how much I miss you. 
How much it pains me that you're not here with me. 
That family gatherings make me as melancolic as I could ever be, because you're not here with me. 
I still think that this is temporary, that one day you'll be back, that you'll enter by our front door. But then I come to the realisation that death is permanent and when somebody is gone, they're gone forever. 

I hate you for not quitting smoking.
I hate you because you were so selfish that you didn't think about the family you're leaving behind.
I love you so much that it's killing me, that it's making my every fiber ache with pain. I have a burden on my chest that wouldn't leave me since you're gone.

You, daddy, were my first heart break.
I wish I got to say goodbye, but I didn't. 
I wish I could talk about you without crying, but I can't.

I can still hear your voice singing me "Dizdizzi Jinoppi." 
I miss you so much, but maybe in heaven we'll meet. 

© 2015 Aya Souayh


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

153 Views
Added on December 3, 2015
Last Updated on December 3, 2015

Author

Aya Souayh
Aya Souayh

sousse, -kalâa sghira , Tunisia



Writing