Horses

Horses

A Poem by John Jackson (El Juero)
"

a picture in my mind, a thrill in my jeart...

"
I'm thinking of Horses
                                                         from memory                    
I can hear them talking 
                                                         quietly
against the early light of dawn                                   
                                                         silhouetted 
milling and moving together 
                                                         effortlessly
their body and spirit
                                                          carry me
I'm thinking of Horses

© 2012 John Jackson (El Juero)


Author's Note

John Jackson (El Juero)
...and that aint no Bull.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like the way you wrote this, John. Sometimes pieces like this can get strange and I feel clumsy while trying to get into the groove of it. This one develops a nice canter as you read. Very nice work. Angi~

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I usually get uncomfortable with split-ups, but this really works. They're beautiful each on their own, as well as combined. Made me realize how much I've missed them. It's been a decade. Or two..

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

nicely done. not a bovine among the herd. nice to see you posting poems again.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very well done here. The words flow well and imagery is wonderful here.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Ride on !

Posted 11 Years Ago


love it..the way the two blend but also stand alone poems in themselves and still in the context of the piece..bravo..

Posted 11 Years Ago


Very direct style, great poem

Posted 11 Years Ago


Reading this on the internet depends on your browser and window preferences. My first reading was denied the right column. Somehow I knew there was even more and I automtaically 'technically' adjusted.
When I saw all the words, the spirit of the poem was released. Thank you for reminding me of the liberating spirit of horses, Mr. El Juero.

Posted 11 Years Ago


.. and i read this sincerely simple but rich poem, left to right and felt the whole as a wonderfully calm 'sit back and dream' time:

'I can hear them talking
quietly
against the early light of dawn
silhouetted '

those words are a beautiful and gentle watercolour. Sighhh

Posted 11 Years Ago


The first thing that confronts me is that poem appears in two sections which may or may not be related, so before reading gets under way, I am trying to piece the two parts together. Eventually I decide that the list on the right is a continuation of each line on the left, so the first line of the poem reads, I am thinking of Horses from memory... and so on.

On the other hand, the section on the right could be read independently, so, as you can see, for this reader anyway, it is quite some effort to decide how to read this piece.

Nevertheless, it has the simplicity and beauty of prayer, a celebration of a transendental moment contemplating the existence of these magnificent creatures, just the line 'I am thinking of horses..' is incredibly evocative, and like a refrain repeated at the end of the poem.

Posted 11 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

677 Views
20 Reviews
Shelved in 5 Libraries
Added on July 29, 2012
Last Updated on July 29, 2012

Author

John Jackson (El Juero)
John Jackson (El Juero)

Anchorage, AK



About
I'm a middle aged man, trying to live as I believe. As many here do, I practice a 'read/read' policy. The RR's just are too much. I hope I can participate with as many of you Outstanding writers as po.. more..

Writing