The Value of Written Expression

The Value of Written Expression

A Story by badincubus
"

Another very short essay

"

The printed exchange of ideas is of incalculable worth, without it we occupy a world undefined. The verbal exchange of ideas is not as exact and thus, less valued. As words are spoken we rub them with emotion and the air which they infuse becomes incensed. Ephemeral words’ building a cathedral of emotion, but the passion remains with no groundwork and the edifice collapses. In the aftermath we are left in a swirling puff of dirt and rubble, with a countenance of severe disquiet; probing for the expressively injured.

In contrast, the written word is definite and lasting; offering sovereignty from time so an issue might be considered more precisely. Significances enduring long after passions abate so it may be appraised with lucid thought and reason. This advantage does not come without deficiencies. The innate consequence of any anthology of durable expressions is the incapacity to echo the rapid amendments to the social order. Writers are therefore fated to episodically vacillate from fool to sage and from sage to fool with the evolutions and reversions of culture.

 

How can I know what I think till I see what I say?

                          E. M. Forster

© 2009 badincubus


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

well said.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

335 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on November 16, 2009

Author

badincubus
badincubus

Reading, PA



Writing
Summary Summary

A Chapter by badincubus