Not So Much of a Zombie Apocalypse, But More of a Zombie Revolution

Not So Much of a Zombie Apocalypse, But More of a Zombie Revolution

A Story by Father Mojo

Image


The problem with the zombie apocalypse is that they get it wrong. Perhaps if the zombies are like rage zombies, or rabies zombies, or whatever they were in World War Z, the the idea that living, or uninfected, humans would quickly be outnumbered as is always depicted in movies and on The Walking Dead.


To me, this zombie run world with small bands of humans on the run is an unlikely scenario. It does not mean that pockets of people may not from time to time be trapped in their homes, or at a shelter, surrounded by hoards of zombies, but it does mean that any such scenario would be localized and, to some extent, temporary. 


Image


The quality I admire about human beings, and the quality that made us quickly rise to the top of the food chain, and out compete any other human like critter, or proto-human species, or other once contemporary species like the Neanderthals, is that humans do not simply possess the characteristic of all successful species (adapt or die), humans also possess the ability to change their environment to best suit them. On a hundred degree day, we create pockets of seventy degree weather with no humidity via air conditioners. On a twenty-seven degree day (Fahrenheit), we create pockets of sixty-five to seventy degree weather. We change our surroundings to suit ourselves. 


What does any of this have to due with a zombie apocalypse? Everything! Should there be a massive outbreak of zombies, we would both adapt and change our environment to meet the new threat. Those who survive the initial outbreak would begin to remodel their homes so that they would live on the second floor or attic and make all access to those levels detachable or something that must be climbed. Newer houses would be built on stilts to protect the homeowners from wandering zombies. There would be segments on the news with zombie reports, much like the weather, that will warn people of potential zombie threats. Many people will move to colder climates to take advantage of longer and colder winters. Those who cannot move or undertake massive remodeling will make sure that there is at least a panic room in their homes and everyone will have an emergency supply of food, batteries, water, and other necessities in case their home is under siege for any period of time. 


 

Image


The moral of the story is that we would adapt. Zombies would simply become part of our natural narrative in the same way tornadoes and earthquakes already are. The people of Tokyo never think of leaving after Godzilla or some other massive creature attacks. They just play the odds �" they do not attack all day every day, but they attack at random and periodic episodes, and even when they do, not everyone is hurt, or significantly affected, just like any other natural disaster. 


Zombies would simply become a commonplace feature in our lives. There would be a zombie season (like the cold and flu season) in which zombies could be more likely to appear. There would be zombie reports and percentages of zombie attacks and outbreaks as an addition to the local weather. There would be zombie apps to keep track of zombie updates and threats. The NRA would be happy because everyone would finally own a lot of guns. The new legal defense to murder would be “He was a zombie!” which would be proven false by a simple test. There would be new industries and products that are focused on keeping people protected from zombies. It may actually create jobs since those who are infected may be leaving a position unfilled and new industries and spending will require new employees.


So in the end, the zombie apocalypse will be less of the end of the world and more of a new era �" a sort of zombie revolution akin to the industrial revolution. It will initiate new business, new ways of doing business, transform how we live in society, and maybe bring back some long, lost frontier spirit and lifestyle into the heart of civilization.


Image

© 2014 Father Mojo


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A lot of good points well made.

If you consider the zombie 'problem' as a disease then I suspect there would be a zombie culls. Humanity seems to have a great skill for making other species extinct then why not zombies.

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

701 Views
1 Review
Added on February 7, 2014
Last Updated on February 7, 2014
Tags: adapt, apocalypse, emergency, evolution, ghoul, gun, home remodeling, NRA, panic room, supplies, survive, walking dead, zombie

Author

Father Mojo
Father Mojo

Carneys Point, NJ



About
"I gave food to the poor and they called me a saint; I asked why the poor have no food and they called me a communist. --- Dom Helder Camara" LoveMyProfile.com more..

Writing
WINTER WINTER

A Poem by Father Mojo