Relfections 5/2/09

Relfections 5/2/09

A Story by Jordan Madrid

I love this time of year.   When spring, which was sorely missed, begins to come fully awake and is just barely laying its delicate hand across the landscape.  Trees, which were only skeletal forms month before, bloom shaggy green manes that waft restlessly in the breeze.  The air has a crispness to it, and the early mornings are characterized by a lovely breeze which carries the musky smells of life renewed. In the morning, I sit coffee in one hand, cigarette in the other, drinking in the sounds and aromas.  Birds chirp incessantly, but rather then be annoyed by it, I feel that in its own way it adds to a sense of calm rising up to meet my soul.  I feel as if moments like these, moments in which the world comes fully awake, are testaments to life.  A life which moves from the oppressive bitter cold of winter into the bright shining fulfillment of spring and is defined by those movements.  Although it’s only a representation, I can’t help but feel at peace.   It’s all very passé, and I’m sure other people with more talent than I, have written the beauty of it better.  People who poured their very souls in the definition of a mode as old as the written word and yet I feel if I can find comfort in it, maybe, just maybe it’s one of the truer modes.  

Spring and the renewal of life.  I can’t say that I’ve impressed myself with the idea, because like I said bigger and better people put my simple words to shame.  The only thing is some things just like spring have to be renewed.  Some ideas grow old and sit on the shelf of our understanding.  Where once they held a place a prominence in our hearts and mind, they’ve now become little more than a cliché.  That’s when someone like me comes along, all full of piss and vinegar, to tell you just how wrongly you happen to be living your life.  Because the truth of the matter is, people like me are the ones that point these things out to people like you.  And if you don’t know who you are, just the fact of you not knowing means I’m talking to you.  Wow, I confused myself with that. 

The point is enjoy a bit of your life.  I know, the economy sucks and everyone is a little freaked out by piggy flu, but come on, there will always be something new to worry about.   There will always be some new bit of hell with which to occupy our collective minds.   And let’s face it none of us was guaranteed any amount of time on this earth.  So stop, for just a moment, and enjoy the day, even if it’s just for a moment.  Let the clean air fill your lungs and remember that you are alive.  (Statement does not apply to those who live in dirty polluted air cities.)   Day in and day out I hear people talking about how they are going to enjoy their lives when they get a couple of dollars in the bank and all I can think about is all that wasted time in between.    It is up to every one of us to live life as wonderfully and as magically as we can, because if we don’t, then we are just going to wake up one day and not believe in magic anymore.  And at that point what exactly is the point of enjoying the life you so veraciously saved up for.

© 2009 Jordan Madrid


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

129 Views
Added on May 24, 2009
Last Updated on May 24, 2009

Author

Jordan Madrid
Jordan Madrid

Denton, TX



Writing
haiku haiku

A Poem by Jordan Madrid


She is She is

A Poem by Jordan Madrid