Growing up

Growing up

A Story by Bailey Rae

When did this happen? When did I start learning about life? When did I say this is who I want to be? What did I do along the way to make me the person I am today? Where did the time go?
I'ts all sort of scary isn't it? You wake up one morning and you're not the little kid you swore you were yesterday. You just some how forgot about that special blanket you couldn't sleep without, or the little lullabies your mother sang you to sleep with. It all just kind of happens right? You have no control over it, you can't stop it, and you can't run from it. One day you just look back and realize how fast you really are growing up. 
When did that brown haired boy become in your science class become more important than that new barbie doll your grandmother got you? When did you start dressing based off of those mean girls wore rather then being dressed by your mom? When did that boy become the one thing that makes you cry yourself to sleep at night when you used to be crying because you were scared of the dark?
It's kind of crazy how so many things change right before your eyes but you don't seem to notice it until years later. Mom, when did you lose all that weight? Dad, when did your hair start becoming grey? It's sort of funny when you look back at your photo albums and think " wow, look how much you have changed!" or "wow, you have gotten so big.".
How come we don't notice all these changes while they're happening? Now I know what the saying "stop and smell the roses" really means. This generation needs to stop rushing into growing up and just stop and take a look at everything around us. Sit back and admire how small your little new born nephew is because next thing you know he's going to be going into second grade this year. Oh and your little five year old sister? yeah she's going into her second year of high school, she's not five anymore. Don't forget about your big sister who you swore just graduated high school last year, she's turning thirty next year. 
It's actually kind of scary to think that someday you are going to have a totally different family, one of your own, To think that one day you will go to sleep as an eighteen year old girl and then wake up at eighty-seven years old laying on a bed while your grandson and daughter are sitting by you waiting you watch you take your last breath.  

© 2016 Bailey Rae


Know That I Too
We are never alone (a poem for mental health month)

Author's Note

Bailey Rae
I wrote this a couple years ago. I just changed the ages to fit to today.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

96 Views
Added on September 5, 2016
Last Updated on September 5, 2016

Author

Bailey Rae
Bailey Rae

Cedar City, UT



Writing
grey grey

A Story by Bailey Rae