A New Eart-Part 1-3

A New Eart-Part 1-3

A Story by Countryman47
"

Life after Earth destruction

"

Part 1-3 A New Earth
It was the year 2087,we were living in a post apocolyptic world.About a year earlier,with the entire world in upheavel,Nuclear war had begun.Before world leaders had launched mutually assured destruction of our world,about 200 of us were brought to a massive underground facility,that had survived the destruction.The outside world was nothing more than a radio active wasteland,no one knew how many if any had survived.All of the 200 were the best and brightest minds of the time from different fields of study.The one thing we had in common was that no one knew for sure why we were here.I felt in a way, guilty, that I had been chosen to survive when so many others had died.

I had always thought that of the 200,100 were men and 100 women.,was a bit odd,but of course none of this made any sense yet anyway to me.We were all young and strong again,why?We had all been treated well since we have been here,but I missed my work,let me introduce myself, I am Dr.Benjamin Morris a Theoretical Physicist.We spent most of our time in physical conditioning and interviews,both mental and personal, likes and dislikes and other skills we had.Of course the government and high ranking military leaders had also survived as this was a NASA facility.

One evening I sat down to eat my Dinner in the cafeteria and Dr. Anne Smith came over to my table and asked to join me.She was in the same field of study as me so we had a lot in common,not to mention she was very easy to look at.I asked,Ann are we doomed to spend eternity here?They could at least tell us why we are here.She said,Ben,I have heard through the grapevine that they had discovered an Earth like planet in the Zelon system and we will be the ones to go to start a new Earth.I said,the Zelon system!!!It will take 200 years to reach that system.It doesn't make sense to start a journey we will not live to finish.She said,I agree,but I don't know anything more than what I have told you and I am not even sure that what I heard is true or not,but I do know for sure that in the next few days we will all know why we are here.

Anne was right,a few days later we were directed to a massive auditorium.As I walked in I saw the President and Congress and Military leaders seated on the stage.I missed windows to see the outside world,but we were 3 miles underground and I guess I really didn't want to see the destruction outside.Anne sat next to me and the others all were seated.President McCloud began to speak.Ladies and Gentlemen,Thank You for coming,I hope,by the end of this gathering,all your questions will be answered for you.I hope you will understand why none of you were told why you are here will become apparent to you.

As you all know the Earth we lived on is no more,it will be un inhabitable for a minimum of 10,000 years for mankind.There was no winner in Nuclear war,everyone lost.We do not know if others have survived but it is doubtful,as far as we know the only life left on Earth is here.There is a total of 2500 souls here in this facility,military and civilian.As pioneers settled this country years ago,you will all be the new pioneers.If we fail in our mission humankind will cease to exist.All of your skills will be needed to insure sucess,that is why we choose only to best for this journey.

I grieve daily that we couldn't take every man,woman and child,but this was an impossible task.So we choose you to live on for all who died in this horrible disaster.About 50 years ago,plans were were made for such a senerio as has occurred.We started to back engineer spacecraft from other planets,found at Roswell and other crashes.We have built and flown a craft that is big enough for all here,it is self sustaining so there will be food and water and all the other items that will be needed to live on our journey to a new Earth.10 years ago a secret mission was launched to look for a planet that was earth like and could sustain life.We found an Earth twin in planet 743 in the Zelon system.The journey will take at least 200 years to reach this planet.I was thinking good plan too bad we wont be here to finish it.

I know you are thinking,that you will not live long enough to make the voyage,but Science has found a solution for this problem,you will be informed what this is after we leave earth.There is a reason that there is an equal number of men and women,and all are young and in good health.As God asked us to be fruitful and multiply on this earth,I feel he will ask the same on the new earth.Through your off springs we can survive.Your intelligence and skills will pass to the next generation and we will build a hardy race.Anne said I suddenly feel like a high dollar call girl,but I suppose it does make sense in a way.I told her,it does make me feel like a piece of meat,but like you said in a weird way it does make sense if mankind is to survive.I think I have found my mate,I only hoped everyone else would for this to work.

The President continued speaking,in the morning at 0800 we will all board a mag lift train and you will all be taken to see the craft that will be your home for a lon g time.Does anyone have any questions,he asked.Oddly enough no one asked.I think everyone understood what was about to happen,and there were no other alternatives but to go.As we left the auditorium I looked at the faces of many,no despair but surely looks of disbelief for what we learned.As Anne and I were walking down the hall,she asked if I wanted to come to her room and talk.I said yes,I needed to talk right about now.I had known her for a long time in a professional sense but I really didn't know much about her as a person.We stopped by the cafeteria and ate dinner and then went to her room.

We talked for hours,she had no family left and neither did I.There was no reason not to go.She said she had always wanted to marry and have a family but just never seemed to have the time,I was in the same boat.She said maybe along the way we can make a few dreams come true.We made love that night and agreed that whatever laid ahead we would face it together.The next morning we all boarded the train and in about an hour we were at our destination.The train was amazing,it ran at speeds of 600 mph and the tunnels seemed to be endless.I saw a sign when we got off Area51.It didn't take long to figure out that all the stories we had been told of the government having no knowledge of aliens and ufos were not at all true.

We were loaded into staff cars and driven down yet another long tunnel,when we stopped the President was waiting outside a massive door.We were all told to bring everything we had with us so I felt that whatever was behind that door wouldm be our last stopping point.
The doors opened into a room or starbase,the size of the room was unimaginable but what we saw was even more so.There in front of us was a starship that was breath taking,it looked to be a mile in diameter,there is no comparison to describe it.The President said Ladies and gentlemen I give you Star ship Genesis.A new beginning for mankind and your new home.Launch is set for 2 weeks from now,but we want you to board and become familiar with the ship and how it works.I knew that for the last year I had seen maybe 600 people and yet there was 2500 to board,needless to say I wondered who the others might be.Anne asked,are you ready for this,I said not really but I guess we got to do it.

There was a strong military presence,about 500, guarding the craft,I could tell by the patches on the uniforms they were the most elite troops America had.They were all armed with weapons I had never seen before,not sure what they were but I sure didn't want to find out.There was a glowing circle beneath the craft, about 30 feet in diameter,20 people at a time would enter the circle and in a flash of light they were gone.It dawned on me they were being beamed up to the craft.This was amazing technology being used.I could not wait to board and see what technology the craft offered.It was like Star Trek and Star Wars all rolled up in one.I said, Anne can you believe what youn are seeing,she said No,but I am glad we do have it.Somehow I knew that some of the 2,500 would not be human.This technology was far too advanced for humans
alone to have made it.

As Anne and I entered the circle,we held each other tight and in a nano second we were aboard the craft.We were in what looked to be a giant storage bay.Others beamed aboard and when all were aboard a voice came over the speakers,telling us we would be guided to our quarters soon.I told Anne I hoped this will be a 5 star hotel not a Motel 6,she laughed.She said whatever it may be it will be home for a long time so we would make the best of it.She was,of course,right,I began to realize more and more what an amazing lady she was.I was looking forward to seeing the rest of this amazing craft we were on.

© 2016 Countryman47


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

91 Views
Added on March 30, 2016
Last Updated on March 30, 2016
Tags: nuclear, war, new beginnings