Where It Rains

Where It Rains

A Story by Renae.
"

Love stories that occur in my mind when I don't want to think in class. Enjoy.

"
The afternoon El Paso sky was darkened and the chill of the wind pierced through her sweater, into her skin. She didn't care, she didn't bother with a jacket or shoes, she was padding around in the sand of the ditch, waiting for the rain. She would've cared not a few months ago about sickness, now there was no point to it. What's living life if you're being careful the whole time?
Thunder cracked like a whip above her and lightning lit up her world. It was after four on a school day. Everyone was home, doing homework, watching TV, eating, others might be at each other's house, getting twisted, high, or laid. But she was outside, barefoot, wearing a sweater, a t-shirt, and jeans. Awaiting the rain.
Then it happened. Soft, the rain drops were soft, a sprinkle. Like fairies on her feet, landing in her hair. They were warnings to everyone to go inside, they were the beginning of life to her and she smiled, and look at the sky, lightning and thunder happening all at once, no interruptions. A true couple. And then the rain got harder. People at the park next to the ditch ran to their cars, holding baseball equipment, strollers, children. Teens got on their skateboards, holding a basketball, or putting their ear buds away to prepare for the storm that might hit them before they got home. 
Bye, was all she could think. She wanted it to rain harder. 
And then that's when it began to pour. The fairies that had softly landed on her feet were now pelting at her, full force. The raindrops stung at her skin, but she stopped thinking. She spread out her arms and looked up, keeping her eyes closed.
"Bye bye, Cassie," he walked out, a perfect elegance she couldn't touch with her wicked hands. 
She breathed in, choking.
"You are so much more than you think you seem," he caressed her cheek, his dark, dark brown eyes shining, looking into her soul, touching and caressing her soul.
The rain was falling into her mouth, choking her as she tried to breathe.
"Cassie, open your eyes, they're beautiful."
He looked back, smiling that half smile that he saved for her.
She couldn't breathe.
Alec. Alec. "My name is Alec. You're name is Cassie, right?" Alec. Alec.
"Alec," she tried to choke out and she opened her eyes slightly. The sky was purple and orange and grey. She wanted to hug the sky. She wanted to go up to the sky, sing it a lullaby.
Alec. I remember Alec. I love Alec.
No, I don't.
Yes. Yes, I really do.
"Cassie!"
She looked behind her, away from the sky, away from the border, back to her street.
Alec. He was soaking wet, his grey sweater was almost black, his black hair matted to his face, his jeans were a dark blue. He stood no more than ten feet away, but she saw the raindrops hit his face, travel down to his eye lashes and fall to his cheeks, his eyes left untarnished, forever singing a song to the soul she didn't know she still had.
"Alec," she choked out. She was sure he didn't hear.
"Cassie, what are you doing out here? Its raining and its cold. You'll get sick," he said and began to walk to her, taking off his drenched sweater. He got closer, she hadn't said anything, just keeping her eyes on him, his grace as he walked, the elegance he was. He stopped and looked at her, straight into her eyes. "That's what you want, isn't it," he asked, searching her eyes.
"I want... I want..." She couldn't bring herself to say it out loud. 
I want to kiss you. I'm sorry I'm broken, I'm sorry emotions don't come easy anymore.
"Cassie, what do you want," he asked, his eyes showing his concern. When she didn't answer he asked, "Do you want to go home?"
"Yeah," she croaked out. She didn't know what else to say.
He draped his sweater around her shoulders and took her hand and he walked her gingerly back down the ditch, her feet collecting mud, and onto the asphalt.
"No, wait," she croaked again, then cleared her voice. "Hold on, Alec, hold on."
He turned to her and stopped.
"I'm sorry. I love you, so much. I love you with my entire f**king soul that I was convinced that I didn't have anymore. I'm sorry I push you away, I'm sorry I tried to kill myself so many times, I'm sorry I took so many pills and you found me, I'm sorry you had to be the one to catch me with a noose around my neck. I'm sorry I kissed your best friend so that you could leave me. I'm sorry I tried to kill myself by making you want to leave me," she spilled out.
It wasn't a movie scene. He didn't kiss her in the rain and her mental illnesses would vanish. There wouldn't be a Happily Ever After for Cassie. Instead he leaned in and whispered "I love you too. You will get better, I promise." He kissed her cheek and then backed away and said, "Let's get you home."
She pattered down the street, her feet occasionally stepping in puddles until her feet were clean of the mud. 
And she talked about everything until her conscious was free of her everlasting worries and voices that spoke truth-less, wicked remarks to her. 

© 2014 Renae.


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

123 Views
Added on February 11, 2014
Last Updated on February 11, 2014

Author

Renae.
Renae.

El Paso, TX



About
I'm just this sad person getting a move on and learning how to see life with brighter eyes and a smile. more..

Writing
Upon My Arrival Upon My Arrival

A Chapter by Renae.


An Outcast An Outcast

A Chapter by Renae.