Misplacing the Love Letters of Sunset and Discovering the Creases in Hope.

Misplacing the Love Letters of Sunset and Discovering the Creases in Hope.

A Poem by Jeanmarie Flaherty

I'm not prepared for this, for everything we've been


for every day I've settled my lips above the sun...


I'm not prepared to stare at the horizon, I'm sure I folded up the sunset and stuck it in the back pocket of those blue jeans I discarded on a humid night in Florida, I think the end of the day has suffocated in the sand, I imagine someone's footprints have marked my insolence.




I'm still holding onto those promises we whispered when January hid herself behind the windows that danced with the dim light of rekindled love, as the melodies of funerals entered my ears and made me forget the moments I stood, shaking, in front of that casket, for he...


whispered...


my name.




There's ignorance in intelligence and brilliance blinds, I know where this is headed....


I'm just not prepared...


to let go, to run my fingers across the creases in the sunset, to find imperfection in possibilities and dishonesty in hope, I haven't yet


stopped


myself


from whispering his name.




I am certain these tears would fall, the reflections of yesterday could tumble right out of my palms


if only he would hold my hand, if only his fingers would intertwine with mine, if I could memorize the poetry of blinking...


if my flushed cheeks were cradled by his palms....


if he ran his promises over the whispers


of sunset


I could


smooth


out the creases


in hope.

 

© 2008 Jeanmarie Flaherty


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Such a depth to your riddles and metaphors, making each passage so vivid and bittersweet (the sunset in your pocket/ January hiding)! Everything about your work here is amazing. I read it over and over, as it captured my senses. The loss, the haunting desire, hoping to make everything almost the same save for the creases...

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Ya know sometimes Jeanmarie, I do find that it is in those creases that one finds all the brilliant and beautiful things in life. Your mind and how it unfolds what you see has gotten my mind wrapped around it. Just love the way you mix pain with pleasure as if they are completely interchangeable. Actually I do believe that they are. A remarkable poem, I wonder if you realize how not only unique your writings are but truly brilliantly done. Line after line I just want sip in your poetic radiance. Amazing.

Posted 11 Years Ago


First, let me say it is nice to meet you.
Second, my initials are JMM as well..lol
and 3rd .. wonderful write, particular, detailed, but somewhat quaint; witful.
Love it.
hope to read some more soon...
And as for Kara...she's wonderful!
~jason


Posted 15 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I stumbled across this poem and I'm so glad I did...
Beautiful, I don't even know if I possess the words to describe this poem. The subtle intensity of your words are overwhelming, your words are impeccable.
I loved this truly, you are an amazing writer.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You have a good and unique form. Your poem might initially seem to be a short story format, but when read, this would be the better format.

The words jive well, with the message well set in. I enjoyed reading this.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Such a depth to your riddles and metaphors, making each passage so vivid and bittersweet (the sunset in your pocket/ January hiding)! Everything about your work here is amazing. I read it over and over, as it captured my senses. The loss, the haunting desire, hoping to make everything almost the same save for the creases...

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Wow. This is my first time reading you, so please don't take it the wrong way when I say that I'm deeply impressed. I'd written a collection of letters a few years ago, really inspired from Rilke's "Letters...", but it was more in the tone that was presented thru your fabulous work here.

if only he would hold my hand, if only his fingers would intertwine with mine, if I could memorize the poetry of blinking...

This is some of the most beautiful prose I've read. Keep it up.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

i feel so silly reading and reviewing your work, because it basically steals both my breath, and my ability to write anything coherent or remotely intellectual.

although, that sounded pretty good, so maybe i'm okay lol

"to let go, to run my fingers across the creases in the sunset, to find imperfection in possibilities and dishonesty in hope, I haven't yet
stopped
myself
from whispering his name."

that was my favorite part, if I HAD to pick a favorite part. i love your work. it reaches into my soul and rips out pieces of me. and then i'm forced to look at them, gasping for breath, and i realize that they're beautiful even though they hurt so DAMN much.

adoreeee you :)



Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

289 Views
7 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 2, 2008

Author

Jeanmarie Flaherty
Jeanmarie Flaherty

The Gulf, FL



About
I am reality, I am art, I am every dream I've ever had and the corners of my childrens lips when they smile. I am tears and laughter, I am shoulders and knees, I am a writer, a photographer, a mother... more..

Writing